Wyoming moves to nullify any new federal gun legislation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Jan 12, 2013.

1. glocke12, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

http://washingtonexaminer.com/wyomi...-nullify-new-federal-gun-laws/article/2518133

"Wyoming lawmakers have proposed a new bill that, if passed, would nullify any federal restrictions on guns, threatening to jail federal agents attempting to confiscate guns, ammunition magazines or ammunition.

The bill – HB0104 – states that “any federal law which attempts to ban a semi-automatic firearm or to limit the size of a magazine of a firearm or other limitation on firearms in this state shall be unenforceable in Wyoming.”

The bill is sponsored by eight Wyoming state representatives ad two state senators. If passed, the bill would declare any federal gun regulation created on or after January 1, 2013 to be unenforceable within the state.

In addition, the bill states would charge federal officials attempting to enforce a federal gun law within the state with a felony – “subject to imprisonment for not more less than one (1) year and one (1) day or more than five (5) years, a fine of not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) five thousand dollars ($5,000.00), or both.”

The bill also allows the Attorney General of Wyoming to defend a state citizen from any prosecution by the United States Government.
    "

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Proposing to throw federal agents in jail, solid plan!

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Sounds good to me. Enjoy being a self-sufficient state, Wyoming. Oh wait, maybe they actually need the federal government. May I suggest secession? :rolleyes:

4. 725032 Guest

Does this kind of wild wild west stuff actually happen in the US?

Throwing federal agents in jail?

Sounds like a movie!

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I suspect that this is more of a message to D.C. that states rights still exist.

Our founding fathers never really intended for the federal gov't to issue draconian laws to force every state to comply to its bidding.

Also, Monatana did something similar, where any firearm manufactured in that state was not subject to federal law. Looks like it passed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Firearms_Freedom_Act

Provisions

The law declares that firearms manufactured in the state of Montana after October 1, 2009, and which remain in the state, are exempt from United States federal firearms regulations, provided that these items are clearly stamped "Made in Montana" on a central metallic part.
    It applies to all firearms other than fully automatic weapons, firearms that cannot be carried and used by one person, and firearms with a bore diameter greater than 1½ inch which use smokeless powder. It also applies to ammunition (except exploding projectiles), and accessories such as suppressors.[2]
    The law has no requirements for registration, background checks or dealer licensing.
    [edit]Legislative history

The bill was introduced January 13, 2009 by Joel Boniek, Gerald Bennett, Edward Butcher, Aubyn Curtiss, Lee Randall and Wendy Warburton. It was signed in to law by Governor Brian Schweitzer on April 15, 2009 and became effective on October 1, 2009.
    This law has been assigned Chapter 205 in Title 30, of the Montana Code Annotated.[3]
    [edit]Rationale

The legislature declares that the authority for this law is derived from the Second, Ninth and Tenth amendments from the Bill of Rights to the United States Constitution. This act reaffirms the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It guarantees to the people rights not mentioned in the constitution, as well as to the states and their people all powers not granted to the federal government elsewhere in the constitution. The law also states that Article II, section 12, of the Montana constitution prohibits government interference with the right of individual Montana citizens to keep and bear arms.
    Some supporters assert that the legislation is also about curbing excessive Federal regulation in areas such as education, animal management and intrastate trade.[4]
    The drafters of the law intend setting off a legal challenge with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.[4]
    [edit]

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

This is a Knee-Jerk law and nothing good will become of it.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They're going to fine regulators:rolleyes:? That is where it branched off from a disagreement into idiocy.

8. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

hmmm..kind of like all the laws being floated around related to a new AWB and other forms of gun control eh? :rolleyes:

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What the hell do you expect Obama to do? He can't literally do nothing about the school shootings - so some sort of changes will have to at least be attempted.

I suspect Romney would have been more effective at introducing gun control - but introduce it is what he would have done.

And frankly all the changes that have been seriously mooted, removing the gun show loophole, reintroducing the assault weapons ban and adding an education requirement aren't really going to significantly affect legitimate gun owners.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

What do you expect form someone comparing a law that was made in response to a serious problem to a law that was made to combat an imagined threat?

11. glocke12, Jan 12, 2013

glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I would expect the POTUS to be reasonable and not force draconian measure down our throats that affect the millions of people that use these firearms responsibly.

Universal background checks-yes
    Armed guards at schools-yes
    Reform the mental health system-yes
    Expand NICS to cover people who have been deemed severely mentally disturbed-yes
    Abolish gun free school zones-yes (these make no sense at all)

anything else gets a firm and resounding NO.

look, its really not my problem if you grew up in a part of the country, or a part of the world that has no gun culture to speak of. maybe if you took some time to understand and get to know us, and come shooting with us and see how much fun it can be you would understand where we are coming from.

who knows...maybe youd get to shoot with Erica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa10ZeqgB6M

as far as reinstating the AWB, that was the most useless piece of feel good legislature that was ever passed.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You must be pretty happy with Obama because he hasn't done that.

So it's essentially in line with the TSA then ;).

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And it's just another part of the effort designed not to get us to sit down and talk about this reasonably, but to get the entire country ginned up into a Piers Morgan-Alex Jones-style screaming match. Nice job, Wyoming legislators. And good luck with enforcing that.

And why is it always the rest of the world that has to understand our gun culture? Why don't we ever look beyond our own borders to see that the rest of the world has cultures that work?

14. glocke12, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013

glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

hmmm...maybe we agree on one thing after alll...

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair I think it would have been politically impossible for Bush not to introduce the TSA. I think blaming Bush for the TSA is ridiculous. Any president would have done the same.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

17. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

If I wanted those cultures I'd move to those countrie, and if I did do that I wouldn't impose my American culture on them.

----------

Ask the stated that have made pot legal.

18. thekev, Jan 12, 2013

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

State laws conflict with federal laws at times. It's a mess as it interferes with too many things. In the case of saying they'll arrest regulators, taking retribution on salaried workers is one of the dumbest possible things they could write into a law. The government workers should really be left out of political clashes. It's just a poor way to address such concerns.

I've always felt it's arrogance. From the time I was a kid the media had their chest beating regarding US superiority. In my opinion that kind of cultural attitude, even if it doesn't extend to anywhere near 100% of the population, is really destructive. It drives regressive behavior.

It's interesting looking at other cultures. We can see different things that have or haven't worked as long as we acknowledge accompanying factors.

These conflicts come up. It's only stupid that they are attempting to legislate punishment for federal government employees as opposed to taking this up with the federal government.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So it's a "good ideas stop outside our border" thing?

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

[​IMG]

If Wyoming hates the federal government so much, the federal government should cut the welfare queen that is Wyoming off.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Universal—including gun shows and personal transactions—background checks-yes
    Armed guards at schools-maybe (see below)
    Reform the mental health system-what does that mean?
    Expand NICS to cover people who have been deemed severely mentally disturbed-yes
    Abolish gun free school zones-yes (these make no sense at all) Because no sign ever stopped a person determined to carry a gun. Though we could follow thewitt's advice and adopt Malaysia's laws where anybody caught even possessing a weapon in a Gun Free Zone gets the death penalty.

anything else gets a firm and resounding NO. I would add ...

• Limit the size of magazines (I prefer a maximum of six bullets) - yes
    • outlaw Sliding Stocks that help semi-automatics fire like automatics - yes
    • outlaw button releases for magazines so reloading can not be done "instantly" - yes
    • New federal tax on bullets - funds from tax to pay for armed school guards and studies to determine scientifically the benefit/cost to society of firearms

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That would be fantastic if it just stayed at L@@KING, but like very small children you tend to L@@K with your fingers.:p

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unblocking this research would be extremely important. Any legal changes should be based on sound research.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think if Wyoming wants to arrest federal agents enforcing the law then thats a sign they want to be their own country. I say we let them, and then close all land borders between the US and Wyoming and ban any flights through US airspace into Wyoming, see how they like that...

25. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The federal government has very few rights over the states under the US Constitution, so it's not out of the question for them to arrest the federal agents if they are trying to enforce an illegal law...