Xbox 360 Elite connected to iMac 24" monitor

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by m0nk3y, Jan 5, 2008.

1. m0nk3y macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a simple question, Is it possible to connect a Xbox360 Elite up to the monitor on my iMac for a bit of HD gaming?

I have heard about using the Elgato TV USB adapters but why cant I simply use a HDMI - DVI cable connected to a DVI - mini DVI adapter?

Also would I still have sound as im not sure DVI transmits it?

Thanks

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

there is no "video in" on the imac.

the eyetv solution will work to play on your imac but will not be hd and may have some lag despite what the advertised (i know as ive tried it). ive also noticed the feed seems blurry.

id perseonally stick with a tv for the 360

or you could get another monitor and do it that way (they have dvi and vga inputs usually). thus have a dual screen set up for computing which is really nice

3. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Because the mini-DVI port on the iMacs is an output port. If you were to set things up in the order you described, your iMac would be outputting its video to the XBox 360, which presumably would either ignore this input, or become deathly confused.

4. m0nk3y thread starter macrumors newbie

ah right., thanks for clearing that up!

Thanks for the help!

:D

5. Mr. Irish macrumors newbie

xbox 360 used on imac 24

I bought the Elgato Video Capture and am a little upset. It works great for picture quality and sound but the window itself is small. I tried a various of ways to enlarge it but nothing helps. for a 100$ and 15% restocking few this thing may end up going back to the store if I can not find a way to enlarge to screen I asked the people at mac store and they told me command F which did nothing. If any one else knows a trick that works please post. Thanks

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well Cmd F should put into full screen. As with the return if you bought it at the Apple [Retail] Store, there is no restocking.

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

EyeTV 3.0? You can easily get full screen, just double click the window.

EyeTV is meant for watching/recording TV. Game consoles work fine on it, but they will be in SD and will usually lag if you click the record button to record the gameplay. However, EyeTV is amazing for watching TV, here's a screenshot of some fullscreen PBS HD. :D

http://kttns.org/2zgu

EDIT: Oh wait, you bought the video capture thing? I haven't even heard of it! Ya, that doesn't seem that good, because it mostly for recording VHS...