Xbox 360 Final Specs and Xbox Live Details

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
514
0
2 types of Xbox Live:
Xbox Live Silver (no subscription required)
Xbox Live Gold (subscription benefits)

Features for Gold service
(S) Also for Silver
(O) Also for Offline

- Seamless transition to Xbox Live account from Xbox to Xbox 360
- Access to MMOs (additional fees may apply) (S)
- Free Xbox Live weekends (S)
- Multiplayer online gameplay
- Avatar for gamer profile(S)(O)
- Motto for gamer profile (S)(O)
- Personalized look for Xbox System Guide (S)(O)
- Offline achievments (S)(O)
- Online achievements (S)
- Access to other players' Gamer cards via Live (S)
- Cumulative gamer score (S)(O)
- Location/language profile (S)(O)
- Reputation (S)
- Enahnced matchmaking using above
- Skill level matchmaking
- Gameplay style profile (casual, competitive, etc.)
- Recent players list (S)
- Free and premium download game content(S)
- Free and premium downloadable movies, music, tv (S)
- Downloadable demos/trailers (S)
- Microtransactions (S)
- Custom playlist in every game (S)(O)
- Play music from portable devices (S)(O)
- View images from digital camera (S)(O)
- Strem media from Windows XP (S)(O)
- Interactive screen savers (S)(O)
- Track info for CDs (S) (O)
- Communication with voice, video or text (S)

The Hardware:
1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
6. Detachable 20GB drive
7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
- 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
- Mulitchannel surround sond output
- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
- 320 independent decompression channels
- 32 bit processing
- 256+ audio channels


To sum up the important stuff regarding XBL:

There will be two versions of Xbox Live. Silver is free (everyone gets it), and Gold is a paid subscription, like the current XBL. It looks like Xbox Live will be free on the weekends for everyone; Gold members will get it all the time, obviously. Current Xbox Live accounts will carry over to the 360 and become Gold Xbox Live accounts. Both Gold and Silver members will be able to download demos, trailers, and other content through XBL.

This info seems pretty legit, and some insiders have confirmed that this is indeed a real leak. At this rate, you have to wonder if Microsoft will have anything left to reveal at the MTV unveiling on May 12. :p
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
This has been posted three times already. I'll post this for the THIRD time.

1) Detachable 20 gig hard drive? Those shots show 40 and from other leaks nothing is included, its sold seperately.

2) "500 MNz"? Whats MNz?

3) "CPU Game Math Performance"? Did they make that term up? "9 billion dots per second"? What the heck?

4) 3 USB 2.0 ports- where are these?

5) 3.2 GHz contradicts other sources.

6) There is no onboard audio processor on the XBox 360.


I CALL FAKE.
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
Microsoft has already announced that all games will support 720p and 1080i, and that is a requirement for developers. Mandatory HD and XBox Live support.
 

Tech^salvager

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2005
121
0
Portland, TX
GFLPraxis said:
This has been posted three times already. I'll post this for the THIRD time.

1) Detachable 20 gig hard drive? Those shots show 40 and from other leaks nothing is included, its sold seperately.

2) "500 MNz"? Whats MNz?

3) "CPU Game Math Performance"? Did they make that term up? "9 billion dots per second"? What the heck?

4) 3 USB 2.0 ports- where are these?

5) 3.2 GHz contradicts other sources.

6) There is no onboard audio processor on the XBox 360.
Where does it say there is a audio processor there? from what I see it dosen't.

Also the USB port for all we know could be in the back. We didn't see any back shots of it yet.

Also wht 3.2ghz does not go with 3ghz from gamespy it does stay around 3ghz area and since stuff can change in specs it could be true.
 

AnewMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2004
154
0
The Northern Plains of OK!
Wont we know for sure on May 12 or 13th? Come on fellas, lets wait until the end of the week, and then we can complain or shout for joy. I am more concerned with when the thing will ship. Hopefully by Christmas 05, the PS3 better hurry up as well. If they miss Christmas, they will take a hit. Its a great time to be a consumer!
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
gangst said:
yea i already knew that, typo, i meant why cant Apple get these cpu's

These CPU's aren't G5. They are the only IBM processor that runs at 3 GHz and up. PowerPC's, but not 970's. Much lower performance per clock cycle than normal G5's.

They may run at 3.0 GHz but they are much slower than a 3 GHz G5 would be.
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
AnewMac said:
Wont we know for sure on May 12 or 13th? Come on fellas, lets wait until the end of the week, and then we can complain or shout for joy. I am more concerned with when the thing will ship. Hopefully by Christmas 05, the PS3 better hurry up as well. If they miss Christmas, they will take a hit. Its a great time to be a consumer!
PS3 and Revolution are both 2006 products. The XBox 360 is being rushed out the door so it is the only one to come out this year.
 

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
825
0
Home
i am sorry but i might sound like a bit of a hater...which i am i guess. But i dont really like the Xbox. i am not buying an Xbox...maybe the whole Xbox scene is bigger in US than here. but some of my fav games are on PS2 and will most prolly get released on PS3. i am also not a big supporter of Microsoft.
Dont get me wrong the specs look good, but the whole console doesn't look very appealing..and also cos i am a hater...
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
vouder17 said:
i am sorry but i might sound like a bit of a hater...which i am i guess. But i dont really like the Xbox. i am not buying an Xbox...maybe the whole Xbox scene is bigger in US than here. but some of my fav games are on PS2 and will most prolly get released on PS3. i am also not a big supporter of Microsoft.
Dont get me wrong the specs look good, but the whole console doesn't look very appealing..and also cos i am a hater...
Wow, what brilliant insight. Thanks for contributing to the thread. :rolleyes:
 

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,144
0
Secret Moon base
saunders45 said:
Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache
Sounds like a full featured CPU. Even if it isn't suitable for a desktop computer for some reason, hopefully IBM learned a lot making it. Maybe some of those lessons learned can feed through to the G5.
 

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
1,317
0
I live in a giant bucket!
I also heard this thing is going to be pretty much a Windows Media Center computer. Pretty much be able to "tivo" and even store photos and movies on it.

Not that I would really use it for that but damn, thats alot of bang for your buck if they sell them in the range of $300. Anyone know the price point or an educated guess.
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
Dr. Dastardly said:
I also heard this thing is going to be pretty much a Windows Media Center computer. Pretty much be able to "tivo" and even store photos and movies on it.

Not that I would really use it for that but damn, thats alot of bang for your buck if they sell them in the range of $300. Anyone know the price point or an educated guess.
About $300. Remember, like I said, those aren't full fledged G5's though. Don't think it's all powerful.


And remember, the base $300 model will NOT be able to TiVo.

TiVo requires two things:
1) A hard drive to store video on
2) A TV Tuner to actually record TV.

The base XBox 360 has neither. I wouldn't be surprised if after putting the hard drive in it you can transfer videos across the network though.



It's not a full Windows Media Center PC. It just has a WMC type interface and connectivity if you have a WMC PC.
 

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
203
0
the capitol
Apparently the price is $399 (normal, no hdd or hdd is optional accessory hence no out-of-box backward compatibility) and $499 (hdd included, backward compatible, ect. ect.) I forget where this was reported, maybe Gamespot or IGN? Seems perfectly reasonable anyway, the original debuted as rather more expensive than its console peers, and if the specs are true backwards compatiblility makes it nearly irressitible! Now just include Doom3 Redux or Quake 4!!
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
zimtheinvader said:
Apparently the price is $399 (normal, no hdd or hdd is optional accessory hence no out-of-box backward compatibility) and $499 (hdd included, backward compatible, ect. ect.) I forget where this was reported, maybe Gamespot or IGN? Seems perfectly reasonable anyway, the original debuted as rather more expensive than its console peers, and if the specs are true backwards compatiblility makes it nearly irressitible! Now just include Doom3 Redux or Quake 4!!
Firstly, there actually has been no announcements of price. Market analysists are predicting $300. Any numbers you hear are all speculation.

Backwards compatability isn't that easy- you need an x86 core (no way this thing can emulate the XBox 1, don't make me go technical on you :p ) AND a hard drive, explaining why you need to buy the more expensive model.

Personally I'm still thinking $299 for the base model. The specs aren't that outstanding.

They cut out a dedicated audio processor, are using standard DVD over the next gen formats, removed the hard drive, etc, to save money. To STILL have it at $399 base would be rather crazy.
 

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
2,284
0
Northants, UK
Anything more than £300 in the UK is dead in the water before the engines start.

The xBox was this price and went no where before the price was cut.

The Saturn was £400 at first and look what happened there.

Good job i have a mortgague to stop me from buying everything (xBox 2, DS, etc) going!

Think the only hardware spend for me this year will be a monitor, WOW is looking very cramped on a 15" CRT. :(