Xbox and LIVE the worst thing to happen to gaming

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by maxfan1, Dec 13, 2009.

1. maxfan1 macrumors newbie

Anyone agree that MS with their unreliable 50%+ failure rate excuse of a games console with subscription online gaming has ruined gaming?

They made subscription gaming the standard. This follows on from the embrace, extend and extinguish strategy that MS always follows.

They made paid DLCs the standard. They made micro payments the standard. The popularity of Xbox LIVE means that dedicated servers are dying out everywhere, even on PC.

They have made 50%+ failure rate the standard. Every console maker will realise that people don't care about hardware reliability.

They have made proprietory hardware addons the standard. I mean would you be happy if Apple forced to buy only Apple RAM and HD for atrocious prices for the sake of "stability"?

Everyone should boycott MS and their cheap console. PS3 while slightly expensive is like a Mac. It's better built and more reliable with lower total cost of ownership than the cheap MS hardware.

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can you please point me towards this specification?

4. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I disagree. The failure rate however is atrocious. As far as XBL, I think its great @ $50/yr.

I hate with free gaming servers, the short time in which they are taken down because of cost. This way for the life of the console, at least users have the ability to play all online games.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bzzt wrong!

But no. I'm never going to buy paid DLC for any of my games but they're all doing it now. It's quite shocking what isn't free now. I can play epicly sized freeware games... yet a few textures and models for LBP costs real money. Or clothes for a computer avatar. The whole thing is sickening really. Thank god for Valve is all I say :D.

And I'm never going to buy Live either purely on principle. But people are happy to. I'm not fussed since I do all my online gaming on Steam on brilliant, free servers. With free online play. Without adverts! But they are great.

Seriously if you don't like what they offer don't buy it. It's other people paying for it that ruined it all, if nobody bought Xbox Live they would have had to offer it for free. Ah well!

6. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I think Xbox Live is the best thing to ever happen to gaming. Yes, I have a PS3 as well.

Where does the 54% failure rate come from? And why didn't you mention that the RROD is no longer an issue?

Incorrect.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Sorry, meant Apple will void your warranty if you damage the machine while installing RAM.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

>>Walks into thread

>>Checks out discussion

>>Walks out of thread

I'm not going near this one.

Bless

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Brilliant :)

10. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I think the OP has a point.

While none of these things (failure rate, subscription online service, add-on restrictions) have become "the standard" in the industry yet, Microsoft has proven effectively that manufacturers can get away with them and people will not mind. So other manufacturers are likely to get inspired by that and cut corners on hardware quality/reliability and charge for online etc. in the coming console generations. Microsoft has demonstrated that one can do all these things without hindering the console's success - it may have actually helped, cause it enabled them to outprice the PS3 continuously.

11. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I would be interested to know the exact percentage of 360's lifetime sales are actually rebuys from owners who have RROD and not first time buyers.

I would assume it is significant enough that PS3 will not catch 360 in overall sales this gen. It would be tough to catch up when a third to half of your opponents userbase (just an example I don't know the percentage) has to buy a second or third console just to play their games....

I doubt there is any way to know the exact number though, and I'm sure Microsoft would never release the data.

12. maxfan1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many people have had 3 or 4 RRODs. I would have though they would have known better than to buy an Xbox again.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We had a troll like this before, every single post of his was something against Microsoft. Think he was banned a few months ago. Wonder if he/she created a new account? ;)
    My Xbox has been perfect. My brother is on his 3rd (only 1 broke but he wanted an Elite model). Everyone I know with an Xbox is currently on their 1st or 2nd.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I loved live when i had my 360. Before that the only other game i played online was Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast. Live made it easy for me and my mates to play together without needing to carry xboxs to each others house. I don't think the fee is a lot at all. A few pounds a month. If people cant afford that then how do they afford £45 for the games

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I feel the pay service keeps out a good amount of the trolls that the playstation network has. People don't really just **** around as much when they are paying for something.

16. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Why would anyone buy a new one when it gets replaced for free?

17. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

My god, this is so true.

The PS network is full of screaming little 12 year olds that die repeatedly at MW2 and yell bloody murder that someone has managed to hack the system.

:/

I owe both (well, currently a PS3, as I gave my Xbox to my cousin) and one thing I that the Xb did better was its integration of its Live system into the gaming experience itself. The entire PS network feels so incredibly disassociated from whatever game you play. And the messaging system is very awkward and clunky.

Give credit, I really enjoyed my XB, and the reason I gave it away was that I get a bit more customization (like Ubuntu) out of my PS3. That, and I think that we wont really see many revisions of the PS, especially as it is still making Sony haemorrage money, even with the release of the Slim. And developers are really only now getting used to programming on the PS3, so I think game titles for it will really improve over the next year or two.

In terms of quality. Indeed, the XB did get panned for a pretty shocking failure rate, but this does seem addressed with the latest model.

(OT, but regarding the RAM and Apple issue, if you replaced the Apple Ram with '3rd party' RAM and had a problem, Apple will always tell you to remove it. I worked phone Tech support for them and this was a SOP.)

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Guys are you blind?

This is MacMonster1985 who was banned just re-registering with a slightly different name. Jesus the last part of his opening thread were he repeated his usual MS / Mac nonsense should have given it away.

Please do not feed the trolls.

Yep definetly same guy. Just look at his post history. Same rantings again.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heeyyyy I called it, I want the prize :(.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I guess it is possible if a RAM failure was the culprit for a repair, but I've taken several Mac laptops in for a fix and my non-Apple RAM has never been mentioned as an issue. Maybe it's specified, but is it practiced?

21. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Whilst I agree that the first few generations of the 360 had a terrible design flaw, I think that the software (especially the new dashboard) and MSs handling of the RROD situation are something that few other companies could achieve.

The 360 is probably by far one of the best things to happen to gaming this decade, it opened up millions to affordable online gaming that has meant games are now worth more than they ever were.

Boom.

22. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'll give credit when credit is due... The XBOX was rushed and RROD was very common however I do think they've addressed the issue with the Jasper units.

For the record I bought one for my Birthday and I think M$ have done a very good job, the graphics are nice, LIVE IMHO is better than PS3 online I can get into a game pretty quickly and it's affordable. I've been happy with the purchase.

I bought my system for AUD$600 with 5 games and an HDMI cable, at the time the same thing from Sony would have cost AUD$1100.... Hmmm tough choice.