iPad Xbox and PS4 controllers on iPad - Are apple going to get serious about real gaming?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whitedragon101, Jun 6, 2019.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 65816

With Apple now providing support in iPad OS for proper games controllers like PS4 and xBox controller and iPad Pro now having the power of a console; is apple going to start getting serious about real gaming?

Maybe PC/console level titles or even ports of existing big games?

2. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

The possibilities are endless!

3. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Kinda yes and kinda no (a.k.a skeptical). There are still tons of exciting yet a bit niche games out there that iPad just could not play properly before having mouse support, for example Starcraft II and Anno 1800. Now we have it, I wonder if developer will bother porting the game to the iPad, and if iPad platform suitable for those games.

4. MrRabuf macrumors member

I doubt anything will change very much just like not much changed when iOS/AppleTV originally got controller support. Anybody serious about gaming will already have a PC/console and developers know that.

5. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

They should! Considering the A12X will absolutely destroy a Xbox One X CPU. And our GPU is a little faster than a Xbox One S. This makes the iPad easily capable of rendering high graphical fidelity games very easily. I am a graphics programmer, so it is amazing how you can test certain hardware and it will barely render at a slide show, and then after a couple days of processing and with only small tweaks and optimization, it will run smoothly at 30FPS. And it can surely be done on a iPad too. The problem we have is that no one is in to making high end games on a iPad Pro. It would seem like they would, especially with our 120Hz panels since 2017, and the high end performance these devices are cable of.

I think Apples new games service will change this though. Hopefully!

They could turn these iPads in to legit consoles, with $60 dollar games that are ported that I my self would gladly pay.

6. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

Apple should make their own controller then. Time for some really bad concept art! :D

7. ericwn macrumors 68020

The iPad first of all has plenty games. They’re just not necessarily the type that would need a controller. Moving forward Apple likely will want to make sure that a game is playable just with touch controls still - that might be a show stopper for some developers I guess.

We already have established gaming eco systems outside of the iPad and that might not change for a long time. Not sure how well Apple’s gaming service will fare.

Where these controllers definitely could be very handy is the remote play software for existing consoles - that way you could get a full console game experience onto the iPad without having to buy the title again.

8. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

I feel like all of the games we have are designed for a iPhone, and support for the iPad is an after thought. We need someone to get on board with real games on our iPads! Actual console quality like games, I could care less if they were touch only operated. Just quality cut scenes, a nice story, and good graphics, and legitimate physics would be awesome!

There are plenty of people in the world who bought a Nintendo Switch just to play Skyrim on it. Or a Xbox, or a PS4 just to play that (1) specific game that captured there attention in a trailer or wherever it may have been they originally saw it on.

There’s not a single game out there, where somebody would say; man! I’m going to buy an iPad, I’ve got to play that! Lol.

^ This needs to change. I hope it does.

9. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

If you'd be storing the game locally that could be an issue because a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 would take up a (comparatively) enormous amount of the local storage. Not saying I wouldn't enjoy it.

10. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

Man I’ve got 1024GB on tap ready to fill lol.

11. ericwn macrumors 68020

Maybe the paid gaming service will have some positive effects on the iPad as a console for joypad- centric games. Fingers crossed.

12. hancuriang macrumors member

Apple can never catch up with gaming industry... controller support is nice but until they have big name multi platform releases that aren’t watered down/mobile version of their pc/console counterpart and invite devs to release exclusives that makes the gaming crowds’ mouth water, apple could never get serious about gaming. They already laughed at apple saying IPP has the same specs as xbox.

Apple just hopes gaming crowds will latch into them but they have to actively invite devs to make exclusives or develope multi platforms for it if they’re truly serious about it, not just making good specs and having controller support and hoping devs will consider them... until then ipad is just a mobile device that happens to have a few console quality games instead of a device that’s considered an equal player in a video game industry with sony, microsoft, and nintendo as rivals.

13. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Apple Arcade and Sony & Microsoft gamepad support is going to be great if they get good game titles. With the huge install base of compatible devices and depending on the monthly charge, Apple could have a winner on their hands.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2019 ---
    Remember that Apple have a potentially larger install base of compatible devices than any console maker.

14. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

Is it bluetooth only, or can I plug in one of the cheaper, wired USB xbox one controllers into the iPad?

15. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

It fills up incredibly fast. Distressingly so. With screens at the resolution of the iPad Pro, a premium title could chew up plenty of space. Mandatory lag ree appletv projections is a must.

Tom

16. canesalato macrumors 65816

canesalato

Bluetooth only.

17. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Would overheating be a issue with the iPad (thinking of the fans needed to cool down PS4/Xbox consoles)?

Games would need to be ported specifically for the iPad so that they weren’t so demanding on the internals yeah?

18. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

Are you telling me that the iPad can run games like Doom Eternal all in that magazine thin enclosure?
    I don't believe you, not even my MBP can do XboxOne performance. I don't think it can match Xbox 360!

19. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

Which MBP do you have? Thermal throttling is real, but the CPU in the A12X is comparable to most of Intel's mobile offerings—even those with 2-10X the thermal/power limit! Given that the Xbox One uses a CPU that is several generations old at this point the comparison seems fair. Now, GPU-wise the A12X is barely comparable with the Xbox One S and most MBP computers with discrete graphics will run circles around it.

The bigger barrier may not be hardware but the cost of efficiently migrating the code/assets to iOS.

20. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 65816

There is plenty of power it’s optimisation that’s the key. The xBox One is not very powerful. Make a PC with equivalent specs and it will run like ***. The trick is the developers are writing right to the metal of the console squeezing out every cycle of performance.

If Apple just paid for big name ports I would be super happy with that. Rather than pay for the very expensive development of new games just pay the cost of porting and optimising for a new platform. If developers ported to Apples new Metal API that could have some amazing results. Especially if they did it so it would detect the iPad Pro version the user has and scale accordingly. It would also be a way for Apple to encourage customers to upgrade their iPad Pro just for a cpu/GPU bump.