Xbox Controller Implementation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w00t951, Dec 7, 2011.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

That OnLive service really got me thinking. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could take your iPhone or iPad and hook it up to a TV and then run an Xbox controller into it? With the A6, this would probably kill consoles. What do you guys think? Existing dual stick arcade and shooters would be completely revamped, and the touchscreen could be used for other games like Angry Birds.

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

The OnLive controller looked like an exact copy of the 360 controller, and that runs on Bluetooth for $49.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Kill consoles? I don't see that happening... Not with a phone.

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

6. walie macrumors 6502a

7. thenerdal macrumors 65816

It's not really a good idea. You're basically connecting the iPad or iPhone to the TV and using a controller to control the game wirelessly.

That is basically a console.

You'd be better off with an Xbox or PS3.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I wouldn't call it a BAD idea per se. For people that travel, it might be kind of cool. This isn't something I would want to have to do every time I sit down to play a game though. I imagine it would also get kind of annoying really getting into a game and then having a phone call come through.

9. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

You're right, with usb host you can use an xbox controller, and via bluetooth you can use a wiimote or a ps3 controller (depends on the phone). Nexus phones definitely are able to do it, but there are also many others too.

10. thenerdal macrumors 65816

A portable gaming device such as a PS Vita or a 3DS would be better than using an iPad as a monitor and a controller.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They do make a controller dock for the iPhone and Android devices which is actually pretty nice. Personally, I am unimpressed with current handheld gaming/hardware. The vita might bring me back. We will see.

12. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

It will never replace a console. The only way that would ever happen is if the battery never drained. :D

but the controller idea is interesting. I just think that small of a screen on an iphone is too small to use a controller to play with it, even if you hooked it up to a tv it would be a pain

13. nouveau macrumors member

You should let the jailbreak community know of this idea, I'm sure they'll find a way to implement this

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The way I understood it is that the phone would replace the console and controllers would connect to the phone to play games.

This would never happen because Microsoft will not kill off the Xbox like that.

15. salacious macrumors 6502a

actually i think theres a big market if someone releases a game for the ipad and iphone with a small basic controller and a stand or something so that i can get a decent game, the touch screen is good but playing fifa 12 is basically rendering me handicapped, and MC3 is a nightmare everytime i shoot i end up throwing a grenade by accident!! theres only so much touch you can take before you need to get physical....