Xcode Screenshots

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2003.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

This FunMac thread contains screenshots and some discussion regarding Apple's Xcode software which was also released at WWDC.

Xcode provides developers with faster development environment, and the final release is targetted with Panther.

2. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Nice clean look to it. Interesting though, as I thought all of the iApps etc. were gonna be standardized into the brush metal appearance.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

xCode is not an iApp

the first thing to look at is the naming scheme...for instance, xCode is not iCode...

4. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

xCode is likely to be the next Project Builder.
    which, is not an iApp.
    and to tell you the truth, i'd hate to stare at a metal project builder for 16 hours. :rolleyes:

5. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Uhm its not xCode either

It is called Xcode, not xCode anymore than there is an xServe.

6. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

Re: Uhm its not xCode either

you are right :p
    excuse my typing.
    Xcode, Xcode, Xcode.......

7. Nutzoids macrumors member

I wanna know whats blurred out? If there was something there they were trying to hide why not just make it full screen? Oh yeah and can't wait until I get my hands on it!

8. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

Will the real x step forward?

I guess they want to give the "X" more emphasis, as in Mac OS X?

9. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

i think it's just that the poster didn't want others to see his desktop items.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The fun will truly start with Xcode 2.0. Looks very promising. I'm mulling over the prospects of taking some programming classes so I'm watching this and other tools Apple comes up with a little more closely. I'm sure they'll continue to revamp Xcode until it is totally sweet. This is only the beginning. Kudos Apple for listening to your Developers.

I've read a few Blogs about WWDC in which there seems to be considerable excitement over some new "underlying" items in Panther that Develpers will love. Unfortunately it's under NDA but positive news is always good to see.

11. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

My question.

Does anybody know if Xcode will still be free like developer tools? I haven't heard anything explicit on the matter, and I have a worry that Apple might pull a .Mac with this name change.

I don't want to go through all that whining again.

12. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Re: Uhm its not xCode either

I think Apple has trained us to think that every, I dunno, "random" letter before the title should be lower case, (like iMovie, iChat, and iTunes). the one that annoys me the most is Emagic. It isn't eMagic!

:)

13. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

Re: My question.

Steve said at the conference that it would come with panter so I am guessing they will be free like the developer tools with the previous releases of OS X. I personally think that project builder looks cooler but I certainly welcome the announced speed update. I really wish that I went to the wwdc. I really wanted to have my hands on Panther. and iSight.....

I think that university professors get mac os updates faster than anybody else (atleast that happened with jaguar) so I will get the final version relatively early (my dad is a professor). Atleast I hope so. I've heard some not so great comments about panther from those who already have it, so I hope it is improved before final release. I am also hoping for a significant speed update like those on ibooks. I am on a powermac g4 533 without quartz extreme cause my video card is to darn crappy :(. I MIGHT get a new video card tonight though cause I will be opening my birthday presents :). That should make a pretty significant speed increase within Jaguar alone.

edit:
    Just uploaded my first WU for folding@home :). You have to realize that it is hard for me to fold with only one computer which is pretty noisy and cant be run while I sleep in the same room. Stil want to contribute though. This next work unit looks pretty challenging :eek:. Maybe my parents will let me leave it folding while we are on vacation. That would be awesome!

14. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Code Insight

Does XCode have code insight?

ie, at "myObject."

All d methods and attributes of myObject are displayed in a drop down dialog box?

If it doesn't, it'll be disbelievable. All worthy IDEs these days have "Code Insight" capabilities. Makes coding so much easier - don't have to look up help.

(I would post this on funmac, but I don't have an account and I don't really want to create one :) )

15. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Re: Re: My question.

Thanks a bunch, I haven't been able to get the stream to work for more than a few seconds before it freezes up. Having it as part of Panther is perfectly acceptable, I was just a tad worried they'd slap a price tag on it on par with other developement environments, ie too high for me.

16. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

Part of Panther

Nope, as above, Steve said it would be available as a PART OF PANTHER.

Lot cheaper than CodeWarrior, I'd say?!?

17. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I think Apple is taking the iApps strategy to the next level with things like iChat AV and Xcode -- eg, it is no longer a case of "gee, its more expensive but look at all the neato photo, video, and music management software you get with it" it will be a case of "yeah, it's more expensive, but look at all the seriously useful software you are getting in the deal."

Good deal. If they can really round out their software suite, they have a very serious package to market. Xcode is/could be just another great facet of that.

Next up: iCal, AppleWorks, iAccount, and Xemulate....:D

Hopefully at least two of the above four were simply not ready to showcase at WWDC.

Is anyone still expecting major announcements at the Creative Mac Expo World?

18. holmesf macrumors 6502a

More than likely. It IS project builder. They've renamed it and changed the interface. I have some gripes with XCodes somewhat arbitrary interface changes, but other than that its fine. Its nothing revoluationary.

19. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

Goodbye Microsoft?

Apple would need to come up with a VERY COMPATIBLE version of "iOffice" before making Microsoft too upset. However, as above, an Office Suite and a Windows emulator by Apple (that both WORK WELL) and we would have an awesome all around solution on the Mac Platform!

I think that's a ways off though. :confused:

20. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

semiontopic: anybody know anything about the new 'NSController' class? It sounds interesting but I can't find any info on it.

21. Jeff Harrell macrumors regular

You should not be able to find any information on it. It's covered by a very strict NDA.

Suffice it to say that the new stuff in Panther is really neat, and it's going to be cool for the programmers out there. Users will not notice anything.

22. alandail macrumors 6502

Based on the keynote, the distributed compiling is revolutionalry (at least for mac development environment), as is fix and continue. I have compiles here that in codewarrior often take 10 minutes. By just enabling distributed compilation and using macs on my network, I can apparently cut that to around 2 minutes without buying any new hardware.

The predictive complilation even further shortens the wait - the files start compiling when the header is updated while I'm working on the other files instead of waiting for me to tell it to start.

23. jettredmont macrumors 68030

Re: My question.

Apple says it is one of the features of Panther. Which would mean it is free for use on Panther at least.

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

iCode, coding for the rest of us as Steve would refere to it.

iJon

25. JoeRadar macrumors regular

The feeling I got from the Apple team was this was a major change to Project Builder. I heard a lot of positive feedback from people trying it.