Xenophobia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CaoCao, May 8, 2011.

1. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

So, there is a certain culture I just can't tolerate, in fact I want this culture brutally stomped into the ground and their children taken away from them. I can find no redeeming qualities in this culture.Does this make me a bad person for wanting to eradicate an entire culture? Is this Xenophobia?

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Almost certainly, people are for the most part people (whoever/wherever they are or whatever they believe in). They're stupid, silly, gullible, irrational and on and on but they're truly "evil" (whatever that even means) with great irregularity (and even in those cases they seem more mentally defective than intentionally malevolent)

So yeah your probably Xenophobic unnecessarily pessimistic (and I'm a hell of a pessimist) and way more self assured and "certain" of whats right or wrong than you have any right to be.

It's a rather huge extrapolation, but you asked and you failed to provide much information :rolleyes:.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, and yes

4. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Which culture is this, if I may ask?

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If the culture in question is posting political opinions on internet forums then I'm with you 100%.

6. CaoCao, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

CaoCao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pashtuns
    tl;dr
    Pashtun culture measures wealth by number of boy sex slaves, parties feature dancing boys dressed up as women and they get raped, sex with men is extremely common as women are regarded as impure, Pashtuns sometimes need to be taught how to make a woman pregnant...
    source

source
    source

7. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I've already watched the PBS Frontline video. No need to bombard me with quotes and links. ;)

8. CaoCao thread starter macrumors 6502a

Link please

Is how I feel about this culture partially justifiable?

9. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Being xenophobic means having a pathological fear of everything which is foreign or strange to you. So as long as this is a culture which is familiar to you, and as long as you have no issues with other cultures (foreign or not), then I wouldn't call you xenophobic. But there has been invented a few other phobia-labels that may fit your mental condition, labels designed by liberals to categorize everyone who is against them as sick...

...and you would truly be a bad person. Like Hitler and Stalin combined :cool: Oh, and Pol Pot and Osama bin Laden too :D

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Every culture has its dark side. There is a whole series of underground sub-cultures in the western world alone that comes very close to what the Pashtuns are doing. Just go to one of those faux high-society parties (if you manage to get invited) and you'll probably get your hands on drugs and end up in an orgy with underage youth.

I don't know if all Pashtuns are like that and frankly, I don't want to know. What I do know is having them all eradicated as a culture is still considered genocide.

11. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

That's kinda fitting for Christian fundamentalists.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

This sort of thing happens in pretty much every culture, I guess there there's just a well known name to it.

That's not to say I'm not sickened by it, just focusing your hate on a singular example of such abuse isn't really that healthy.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know very religious people from quite a few religions (including but not limited to Christianity) that your quote doesn't fit to. So I guess, like the topic at hand, this is just a minority of Christian fundamentalists.

14. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Link, please.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

every culture displays Xenophobia ... I have always believed that White people are often the ones labeled as racists when in reality most cultures and races prefer to keep company amongst their own.

as to what you describe above as being a culture? ... IMO to qualify as culture ... it must be practised by 100% of a certain group or race. I don't believe that would be the case here.

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Hmmm. I'd be interested in specific examples, then, of what qualifies as "culture" by your definition.

18. Andeavor macrumors 6502

You don't get out much, do you?

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

all you seem to contribute is asking for Links ... why not search yourself?

a cultural example could be that ... Chinese people consider eating rice part of their culture or Rastafarians view the use of Ganja as part of their culture

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Because I'm not the one making flippant, blanket, unsupported statements.

So, it is "culture" if the culture considers it culture? That doesn't make sense, nor does it support your prior "100%" comment, which is what I asked you about.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I have replied to the OP's definition of Pashtun culture ... go pick your arguments with someone else ... I prefer not to waste my time with your posts ...how's that for flippant?

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Cool. Then it will be easy for you to find M's that link (since you get out more than I do).

23. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'd swap the word with "replied" with "dodged." More accurate.

24. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I don't need links to prove that the culture I'm part of does or doesn't have its skeletons in the closets. Look at your own culture and tell me if they are lawful, just and morally pure. I can guarantee you that there is no culture on earth that doesn't come with its fair share of debauchery.

25. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I see your point. The Pashtun activities described earlier in this thread are nothing more than "skeletons in a closet," slightly less than "pure," and "a fair share of debauchery," like street racing, or a frat party.