XHTML2 Group to Disband by End of 2009

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by angelwatt, Jul 6, 2009.

1. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Apparently the XHTML2 working group will be done away with at the end of this year (2009). At first, I was a little surprised by this and wondered what would happen to all my lovely XHTML 1.0 pages, but after some reading I feel enthusiastic about this. Here are my reasons.
    1. The XHTML2 group was slow moving and had too much in-fighting.
    2. XHTML2 was going to diverge from HTML too much (tag names), which would have resulted in more confusion for new designers/developers to the web world.
    3. HTML5 will support XML serialization, which means we'll have XHTML5 essentially, which I like because I enjoy the specificity of XML.
    4. Having just one specification will make things easier on web developers as well as browser developers and hopefully WYSIWYG editors (I won't hold my breath).
    So really, we'll still have XHTML, but the road XHTML2 was going down won't come to fruition, and that's not really a bad thing.

Here's an article on this topic that reflects my feelings pretty well. The article has lots of good links as well so it's a good one to read if you're interested in this topic.

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I heard about this too... I have to say I'm thoroughly looking forward to (X)HTML 5. It will be the first standard I feel I can pick up as it goes, so to speak.

Thanks for the links - I'll be sure to have a read when time allows :)

3. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Shame. Just the other day I was reading this thread and thought about switching back to HTML 4.01 Strict. And now the XHTML2 group breaks up lol Looks like I'll be switching back until (X)HTML5

4. memco macrumors 6502

When I heard about this on Slashdot my first thought was XHTML2 WuT!!? I've been hearing a lot about HTML5, but haven't heard much about XHTML2 in years. Personally, I'm happy with the way HTML5 is headed and don't feel like we're losing out by the dispersion of the XHTML2 spec.

@SelfMadeCelo: Are you saying you will be switching back to HTML 4.01 Strict or that you won't switch until HTML 5? I've been using HTML 4 for my most recent project after reading the criticism of XHTML.

5. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

I've been using XHTML Strict for everything for the past year but since HTML5 is on it's way (Even if it's a ways away) I need to get back in the swing of HTML4.