Xmarks is shutting down :'‑( Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by velocityg4, Mar 30, 2018.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Just got an Xmarks update from Lastpass. Apparently they are shutting dow Xmarks on May 1, 2018.
    It's too bad. I've been using it for many years now. Alas it is time to search for an alternative. The options I've seen look none too promising.

Here are a list of features I'm looking for
    - Cross platform sync. Windows, Mac and Linux are a must. iOS and Android would be a nice to have.
    - Cross browser sync. Particularly Firefox and Google Chrome are a must. Safari and Opera would be nice too.
    - Multiple profile support. Don't really need all bookmarks on my work computer or phone.
    - Browser integration. I'm looking for one which is an add-on to the browser. Not a standalone program which syncs with the browser.
    - Local server allowed. As I recall, once upon a time Xmarks allowed you to setup your own local server. Mayhaps I'm mistaken. I'd love to do this and cut out the middleman.
    - Encrypted connection

2. jingletido macrumors newbie

jingletido

Me too. Lost without Xmarks, as I use Chrome on my Mac (Sierra) more than I use Safari, but need to sync between both. Anyone with experience with either Eversync and/or Raindrop.io? How does either compare with Xmarks? Thanks!

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

LastPass sucks. Can't make a decent password manager, and now they kill Xmarks. Pisses me off.

4. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 601

velocityg4

I'm curious what you think would be a better password manager. It needs to be easy to use, cross platform, cross browser. and cheap or free The reason I went with Lastpass is because it is compatible with so many web browsers and OSes. Especially iOS and Windows.

My chief complaint is it's poor performance in detecting and auto-filling login boxes. Making it hard to use. I'm fine with that. But it makes it hard for me to recommend to others.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I love 1Password. The Windows version isn't as good as the Mac version, but it works. I don't know if it's cheap (I've had my version a while), but I've used it for years, and I've used LastPass at my job the last 2 years, and 1Password, for me, is many times better.

6. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

I think 1Password is great too and I’ve been using them for years.

Sad about XMarks, I used them for a bit. I wish 1Password would have a bookmark manager built in 1Password. I use about 3-4 different browsers, and hard keeping track of websites at times.

7. jingletido macrumors newbie

jingletido

I live and die by 1Password. What a great idea for them to have a bookmark manager option. You know they'd do it well.

8. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

They would. I have 1Password on all of my stuff (Mac, Linux, iPad and iPhone), so it would be great if they did this.

9. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

1Password is the bomb diggity. I'd pay a little extra for a bookmark synching service through them.

10. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

There were so many of those services back in the day... Xmarks is/was the only one I know of that was still operating.

I agree about 1Password. I love the app, and it would be fairly simple for them to add a full-on bookmark manager into it (since they already have a URL-saving feature built-in). It would make it worth paying the subscription price for it vs. the perpetual license.

11. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

I think 1Password is far better. I used them both when I was looking for a password manager, and 1Password was just better IMO. The support is great too. I’ll go on the LastPass page/forum/support and shocked how many posts aren’t answered.

Works on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux.