Xoom Super Bowl commercial reaction?Change anything for all iPad owners/soon-buyers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by billyzenme, Feb 7, 2011.

1. billyzenme macrumors member

What do you guys think?

Worthy?

I think it's one of the better iPad competitors, but ain't no killer.

Their commercial is good i thought, until I read this funny piece. some guy on the internet trashed it pretty bad but also funny in some ways. have a look
    http://goo.gl/6p9dv....

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Xoom maybe be a nice piece of technology
    However, the add didn't showcase it at all

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yeah to be honest, it tried to be the Apple 1984 commercial but then also tried to show off what it could do and just failed on both accounts. Seems like it will be a great device, but the commercial was a flop especially considering all the hype around the commercial leading up to the Superbowl.

4. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

As already noted, the commercial was style over substance in that it never really showed the viewer what makes a Xoom better than an iPad. In fact, I'm sure the average viewer figured he was holding an iPad since that's the only tablet the average consumer knows about. That's a big fail for Motorola.

Then we found out the price. Ugh, what on earth are they thinking?

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, didn't really do anything for me.

That Chrysler commercial was something else, though.

6. Tomacorno macrumors regular

Xoom ad fail

Yes, I agree with NebulaClash. Several comments in the Superbowl party I was watching the game with said, "is that an iPad?" I laughed because I did not see him do anything on it that I would not expect to be done on an iPad. It seemed the commercial was just showing that it had the functionality of an iPad. Strange strategy.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

What do you mean? That wasn't an iPad commercial:). My wife thought so.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The biggest failure is the fact that they did not fully identify themselves right away. It leaves people confused. However, it looks like a nice tablet and I'd love to try one.

9. RR1818 macrumors member

At the end of the commercial, someone I was my party said "What is that, a fake iPad?"

I just laughed because I think these comments are proof that Apple has become exactly what Motorola is accusing them of.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It doesn't have to kill the iPad to be successful.

11. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

In the tablet space, yes. But then, I think we've all long ago given up the notion that Apple is the plucky underdog. They've grown up into Big Brother.

But Big Brother with nice, anti-aliased text and hi-res icons.

12. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

For those who are saying the ad didn't show off what the Xoom could do versus the iPad are missing the point. The ad was primarily concerned with setting up individuality as opposed to being an 'iZombie'. On that basis, I think it worked. How many times have you gotten on the subway, bus, etc and seen every other person wearing white earbuds? It's pretty ridiculous. Eventually, however, Google will dominate the tablet market and they'll be the 'Big Brother' they're accusing Apple of being. What goes around, comes around.

13. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

How many times have you gotten on the subway or bus and seen everyone else wearing clothes? Bah, what sheeplike behavior!

Nothing wrong with most people doing a thing, whether it's owning a TV, eating at McDonald's, running Windows on a PC, or using an iDevice. Competitors will make fun of you for doing that, but that's just because they wish they had that same market share. No need to swallow such propaganda however and make it your own.

14. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

The only reason I knew it was a Xoom is because I was looking for it. Everyone else thought it was a weird iPad commercial. They needed to make it very clear several times that they are not the iPad.

The pricing is also horrible. $800 and a contract for a device competing with the iPad which already owns the market. Why would I wade into the coming sea of Android tablets unless they can offer me something better than the iPad. Not to mention with the educational contracts Apple is starting to get there will be more people introduced to and used to the iPad who won't switch without a reason.

The tablet manufacturers need to leapfrog the iPad in innovation not duplicate it with a slightly faster model if they want their product to stand out and not be, as someone said before "a fake iPad".

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I doubt the average consumer made the connection with Apple's 1984 ad
    Most of them wouldn't know Apple's 1984 commercial at all
    You have to remember, the average consumer doesn't frequent MR and hang on every tech trend

As mentioned above, the average consumer has heard the hype about the iPad
    And they would assume this was an iPad unless they paid close attention at the very end, which is unlikely as well

It was a big gamble to NOT identify the Xoom from the beginning and to NOT show what the Xoom was capable of doing and just making allusions to Apple instead, and it is one I think they gambled on and lost

As an iPad owner, the appeal of a Xoom wouldn't be to break free from Apple, but to see a device that gives me more than my iPad

For those who aren't iPad owners, this would seem more like an iPad commercial since that is all they know

It might work if used with a target audience who understands it
    But the Super Bowl audience wasn't likely to get it

16. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

The Ipads Commercials will be hard to top as they feature, now Iconic, music tied to a simple word that demonstrate what they can do.

17. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Most people didn't get the original 1984 commercial either. I think the point that Motorola was trying to make is that Apple customers (like IBM in 1984) are lemmings drinking the Kool-Aid from Cupertino. Funny how things have changed.

Competition is good and will only make the iPad a better product.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree, competition is good and will make BOTH products better

As far as making the point... I'm not sure the point was made
    I got it, because I follow Apple and the industry pretty closely
    The average consumer doesn't

The Apple commercial was discussed and examined over and over
    Even though it only ran once, it is iconic

I doubt this commercial will have the same impact
    In fact, apart from a few cheering Android users, I doubt anyone even noticed

Like I said, the Xoom may be a great piece of technology and OS
    However, you would never get that from the commercial
    What the average consumer got from the original Apple commercial was... something big is coming and it is going to change things
    What the average consumer got from the Xoom commercial was... huh? was that an iPad?

19. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

at first i thought it was iPad 2...:D

but then i saw it was big... and remember xoom was going to make a commercial for the super bowl...

but that was like the last 5 seconds... fail XD

20. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Not forgetting the bits at the bottom of the screen at the very end for a second or two, telling you sequences have been shortened and extra hardware may be required.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it didn't highlight the Xoom at all.

The Chrysler commercial was nice artistically, but it's not going to persuade me to buy one.

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's just good to see a depiction of Detroit as something other than a dead metropolis. There's so much beauty there.

24. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I like the Xoom but I didn't know you had to have a contract to buy it.

25. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I liked the commercial but at the same time don't think it is going to help Motorola much at all. The only thing it will do is further convince the people who were already leaning towards the Xoom from the iPad.

I think I am going to sell my iPad and get a Xoom but it has nothing to do with the commercial.