XP 1984, X.1 the future.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Talk about "Big Brother"...

I already knew that XP users had to register their new OS after about a month of use - just to make sure that it was purchased legitimately.

But I was surprised to find that the registration process secretly takes a list of the components of the system, i.e. the motherboard, drivers, peripherals, etc., and sends them off to Microsoft to be stored for future referral.

The reason behind this is to (apparently) prevent piracy, because the OS limits you to only expand your system around 6 times before you have to reactivate XP thru the Microsoft website.

We should thank our lucky stars we didn't buy OUR OS from such a paranoid, controlling, dictating and untrusting company.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I have heard it is only 3 times.

Someone will make a script to add & get rid of it sooner or later though.

atleast i hope for my PC buddies someone can.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
XPs GUI sucks, it looks like fisherprice stuff.

But it has a nice dating system thingy.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Someone from work was looking thru a P2P today and discovered the first of "many" patches - but could you really trust them? How'd they test it out?

The last thing you'd want if you were a hacker would be the pirate police kicking in your door!

I checked out XP Pro the other day - we've definitely got the better deal with OSX.1

It's a better ride.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Without doubt, XP just isnt as good as 10.1
Its decent, but it just aint as good.

As for the patch, well find a sh*tty PC like an old 166. and use the patch one that for a while. see how it goes.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I don't think that XP works on anything less than a hefty piece of PC hardware (I'm still thinking a Boat Anchor)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i thought i liked the xp gui until...

...until spikey referred to it as fischer-price

wow, that really is what it looks like!!!

i just hope the engineers at microsoft are not still breastfeeding

no matter what i think i know, i always learn something new every time i log onto macrumors.com whether its from john123, spikey, kela, bill.data, oldMac, blakespot, monkeybusiness, or any other of the frequent or not so frequent posters

i have been spending weeks telling people how great XP looked because it borrowed so much from the OS X playbook, now i am not sure what to think of XP now that i will see fischer-price every time i boot up with XP on a PC

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-05-2001 at 02:56 PM]

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I can hear the jingle from "The Magic Roundabout" every time I walk into a PC-World...

By the way, jef - one more post, and you've made the 200 mark... ;)

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
I havent used XP on a bad machine so i wouldnt know.

well done jef, its your double century. ;)

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I've been using macs since they came out in NZ back in '84 - and I've always thought that Windows 98 was like Mac 87.

Now, even after looking at the OSX Beta for over a year, Microsoft STILL don't quite have it beat.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
thanks kiwi and spikey

thanks for reminding me but i will never catch up with mac gods john123, spikey, kela, and monkeybusiness since i don't know macs more than an intermediate user level and i am only a pc networking techie

i will only get more good posts and not so much filler like i have been putting in if only a pc zealot happens to fall into this forum

...now if they are a fellow pc techie and they hate macs without knowing them, then i can pounce on them

there are not too many people to pounce on here since the posters are smart and only disagree with smaller issues like DVD vs CD-RW, Mac color schemes, a 399 ipod or a 299 ipod, and the like...if only the pc world were that problem free!

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-05-2001 at 03:09 PM]

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
There is a fine line between OSX's class and the fischer price XP. Thats why it seems like a cheap imtiation.
But when i start up XP on my machine i just try to enjoy the colours, and try not to put it next to an OSX machine so as not to feel inferior (and about 5 years old).

But i still enjoy XP, its nice not to crash every few seconds.

[Edited by spikey on 11-05-2001 at 03:17 PM]

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Unfortunately, I'm more or less surrounded by PC Pagans, as the computer of choice for our newsroom are all PCs running NT. I'd like to think that I've changed things a bit - I've converted a few infidels, and now we have a small band of loyal followers - touting our imacs, cubes, Quicksilvers and G4 Powerbooks in full view of our PC colleagues.

At least the mac market has increased in London. Now, if only we can nab some of that PC software...

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
Unfortunately, I'm more or less surrounded by PC Pagans, as the computer of choice for our newsroom are all PCs running NT.
"PC Pagans" -- haha.
When I first started my current job, i was asked if I had experience using Windows and PC's. I of course said yes ;). But I also added that most of my knowledge was with Apple computers. My boss then matter-of-factly said "well, welcome to the real world."

(I have since managed to get him to at least think of Mac's, but its been an uphill battle against the other PC pagans around here....)

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I have resolved not to go XP on my Windows machines, just on general principles. Microsoft is obviously using monkeys as UI engineers, and not because of the Fisher-Price appearance. I mean how everything is now harder to find, and takes more clicks to get to even if you know where it is. They've violated the most basic rules of good UI design. In essence, they've made the UI more complicated in the name of making it merely appear less complicated. And then they make the default GUI look like an infant's toy in the hopes that it will seem less threatening.

I think the problem is that MS has done user testing with the most computer-phobic idiots they could find and designed the UI with those people in mind. Before XP I'd never seen an OS that feels like it's trying to be condescending to its user.

OS X is obviously trying to appeal to my sense of aesthetics, which is arguably a feature of dubious value (though I personally value aesthetics), but it doesn't insult me.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Narrow-mindedness is one hell of an obstacle when dealing with Mac-haters. I just proved to them that you are only threatened by what you don't know.

And with this in mind, during one nightshift I proceded to install the Mac 680x0 emulator, Basilisk II for Windows NT, onto as many computers at work as I could, and booted up System 7.1 in full screen mode. Then I went home.

Nasty, huh?

eXistenZ_ng

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2001
Noreg
The XP ads on Tv just arrived to Norway, but i cant figure out why this guy is flying all over the place, i think it looks rather stupid. MS has finally made Xp look like a toy that you can use for everything except serious buisness. But still people are buying it.

The only thing missing now is apple ads here in Norway, that could make many users change platform.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
XP users?

Hey Jef, Since you're using the stuff you might be able to answer this. Does XP actually come with enough tools out of the box to make even simple DV edits? Anything like iMovie or iTunes on there? How does it compare in your opinion?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: XP users

i have not gone that deep yet

i have worked on a client's pentium 2 with the new windows XP browser, internet explorer, and it was so RAM hungry and slow i had to download netscape 6.1 which is faster

it is hard for a windows NT and 2000 tech like me to find my way around it (XP)

i don't think the jury has made up its mind on XP

windows 95 started as a real dog but futher revisions has made it better since then

i just know this, XP better be a multimedia OS or else they are missing the huge trend these days

windows me had an ok video editing thing for beginners

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
A friend of mine makes wedding videos on a PC. She paid someon to come and install XP into her system. Now it won't work. I don't know how friendly that sounds.

OSX actually worked better in connectivity to my camera and quicker in iMovie render times.

Still waiting ofor FCP X.

I also plugged in another friend's Nomad without any software just for fun....and it worked!, in iTunes.

Digital cameras download into users picture files without software...

Jobs' digital hub stragety seams to be at work here.

I don't remeber all of the details, but the XP commercial is running a different song then first intended. After Sept 11 they changed it. But I forgot what the original song was.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I've got a Windows-loving friend who hates Macs mostly because she doesn't know about them. She just got a Vaio laptop running XP. I told her that MS stole the UI from Apple, and her comment was, "that must by why it sucks". I finally got her to admit that they really aren't bad computers and that she doesn't care about them because they aren't useful in the Networking world. So now I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a TiBook next summer (I've been wanting one ever since they came out). Hopefully I can make her see the light. Any suggestions? It'd be good to hear how people have dealt with the "pc pagans".

eXistenZ_ng

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2001
Noreg
Remember to put much ram in it, and show her all the cool stuff in osx, and you can just connect your powerbook to her vaio and show her who got the best networking compability.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Personally, I don't do much of anything to lure the MS masses away from the Dark Side. I just sit around with my PBG4 doing what I would be doing anyway, and they just kind of notice. There's something in there to make just about everybody take notice, whether I'm listening to music, watching a DVD, working at a shell prompt, running X11 apps, or just running Windows 2000 in a Virtual PC window. From there I just kind of answer questions. :D

Although this wasn't why I -first- bought a Mac, to me owning a Mac means I don't actually have to choose one single platform and stick with it. I can have Mac, Windows -and- UNIX apps running on my TiBook, all at the same time. You can't get a solution that complete anywhere else.