iPhone XS XS can’t record video while driving??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shikaka, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

I took my XS on vacation. While driving around sightseeing, I had to charge my phone. I plugged my phone into the car’s USB via lightning connector. When I tried to take some video, the XS would just pulsate. Like it’s trying to focus over and over again.

This problem is totally repeatable for me. Tried it on two different cars with the same result.

Can anyone else test it out and let me know if their phone does the same?

2. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The USB connector on many cars provides dirty power which can damage the phone.

Use a power bank whenever possible.

3. Shikaka thread starter macrumors regular

I didn’t know that. So what’s the best way to use Apple CarPlay?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It could be with movement you phone did not know what to focus on.

I and other have taken many videos in a moving car/truck.

5. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

Are you using CarPlay? If so, this is the intended reaction, because it does NOT want you to use your phone while driving.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Can you please explain. I have no clue what you’re talking about. “Dirty power”? I read and watch videos about tech all the time and I’ve never heard of this.

7. Ebok Suspended

if anything the USB port in most cars are underpowered and wouldn't be capable of damaging anything.

8. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

On one occasion my Max freaked out and would not focus. the image just zoomed in and out over and over. I had to power cycle my max and everything seemed to be restored. But i don't know if ithis is exactly what you are deciding.

Otherwise when my camera is in the car clamp (I use a Koomus CD Player mounted car mount) it can focus and record the video is always very jiggly. The movement of the car is too much for the Max's OIS and the image is very unstable.

9. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

10. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

During ignition, the voltage of the 12V system can vary between 8-14V. Most cheapo USB adapters have little or no input protection and expect 12V. This why you hear sometimes car chargers frying USB devices.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

What if you're charging from the cigarette lighter? Does that make a difference?

12. cynics macrumors G4

Although you didn't quote me "dirty power" is just when the conditions of the power being delivered are not as intended and/or expected.

In my line of work its nearly exclusively used to describe alternating currents frequency not being 60hz mostly because its difficult for someone that doesn't understand the symptoms to describe. Lights dimming due to a dip in the power is just called "lights dimming".

While I personally never heard the term referenced outside of AC power I guess there is no reason the term can't be used for DC power although DC doesn't have a frequency. USB has a 5vdc +/- .25v specification so outside of that could be considered "dirty power".

13. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Better
    Everyone better not use their chargers at home because of power surges, either.

14. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

How do you charge the power bank?

15. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Home power is far more stable compared to constant surges from alternators and engine revving.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2018 ---
    You can charge anywhere, including in your car. Charging a battery is far less sensitive to voltage fluctuations than powering a smartphone with a touchscreen, radio, and an optically stabilized camera.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am pretty sure the phone is isolated from most voltage variations as it is running off the battery. The charging circuit is experiencing the changes.

17. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

You can Google and find plenty of people with ghost touch issues when they use a cheap, non-Apple wall charger. The issue resolves itself as soon as they disconnect the charger.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

What does that have to do with a car using the USB with Apple cables.

19. Shikaka thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to do a Screen Record to capture the event, but apparently Screen Record is disabled too. Weird.

20. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

But you aren't powering the phone. You're just charging the battery.

I guess the simple answer is just to buy a quality USB charge adapter for a 12 volt power port.

21. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

Also, start the car first so the power can stabilize, then plug your phone in. Don't plug it in before the car is started.

22. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

I don't think it's all the critical unless you have a really old car or dead battery. Newer cars have on board computers and networks that would not function with power dirty enough to affect an iPhone's charging.

23. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

True. But if you're still dealing with a cigarette lighter to charge, it's probably wise advice. And I've seen a few mention cigarette lighters.

24. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Given what I already described above with ghost touch and cheap chargers, the theory that the charger is "just" charging the phone is bunk.

25. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

That's fine, but with your theory, CarPlay is impossible. iPod over USB is impossible. Many cars have these features and have the same electrical system as models that do not. OP even tried two different cars. That should have ruled out one car having some issue.