Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Druffff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
I bought my wife the XS and myself the XS max on release day, my Max has been amazing with no problems, but unfortunately I can’t say the same for my wife’s XS. She has continuously had problems. The phone becomes unresponsive all the time, runs fine sometimes and slow others, and when it does run slow and is still unresponsive you can’t turn it off by using the volume button and power button you have to do a reset by pressing both volume buttons and then pressing and holding power button. The phone was doing this when on IOS 12 and just updated to the newest version of IOS 12 and the problems continue? Plan on calling apple in a little when she gets home with the phone to try and see what is going on but has anyone else had problems like this with their XS?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I'd first try a ' Reset Network Settings '

If that doesn't work, try ' Erase All Contents and Settings ' and set it up as new, don't restore. If the problem still persists, yea.. exchange it

If you must restore from backup, try a different backup instead of the one you used last..could be a corrupted backup file.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I bought my wife the XS and myself the XS max on release day, my Max has been amazing with no problems, but unfortunately I can’t say the same for my wife’s XS. She has continuously had problems. The phone becomes unresponsive all the time, runs fine sometimes and slow others, and when it does run slow and is still unresponsive you can’t turn it off by using the volume button and power button you have to do a reset by pressing both volume buttons and then pressing and holding power button. The phone was doing this when on IOS 12 and just updated to the newest version of IOS 12 and the problems continue? Plan on calling apple in a little when she gets home with the phone to try and see what is going on but has anyone else had problems like this with their XS?

Damn that sucks. Hopefully they find a solution otherwise just exchange the phone.

Druffff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
Just some more info the maximum capacity under battery health is at 99% already the phone is less than 3 weeks old. Is that normal? My max is still on 100% so I don’t see how hers should have went down to 99% already

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Just some more info the maximum capacity under battery health is at 99% already the phone is less than 3 weeks old. Is that normal? My max is still on 100% so I don’t see how hers should have went down to 99% already

Those capacity numbers are just round numbers and not 100% accurate. Besides all the batteries do not have the exact same capacity off the build line. I wouldn’t worry about that.

Druffff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
They scheduled me an appointment with the Genius Bar on Friday so we will see what is going on with this phone. I’m sure they will want to do everything I’ve already done multiple times and give me the run around.

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Same situation with me and my girlfriend. I have a max - no problem. She has a XS. They exchanged it. It questions asked.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Sounds like the phone needs to be restored as new, not from a backup. Should probably do that at home before going to Apple, because they are going to make you do that at the store and then tell you to come back if the issues remain.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Restore the phone. If that doesn't work, return it. Wouldn't this be what you do with any product that's not working?
Of course not. The correct first action is to go to an online forum and complain. Second, ask if anyone else has the same problem. I’m surprise you don’t know the SOP.

Reactions: DNichter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.