iPhone XS Max XS Max 256 GB - Apple logo back glass popping sound

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jay2456, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Jay2456, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

Jay2456 macrumors newbie

Does anybody have this problem back of XS Max. I noticed while cleaning with microfiber cloth on back glass in the middle by apple logo. I never had this problem before with my 8 plus. I heard this issue is common with XS Max. A lot of people don’t notice because they have case since day 1. Remove your case and see if your Max has a clicking/popping sound

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...cx/iphone_xs_max_back_making_a_popping_sound/

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It has been brought up before. The adhesive did not lock the back of the screen and the rest of the phone together or the adhesive on the back did not lock onto the back. Not removing my case to see but it would not be an issue unless squeezing the device which I guess I have never done.

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

OP, you may want to change “pooping” to “popping” in your thread title:cool:

4. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

Its perfect thread title to get views :)

5. Krabba macrumors regular

Krabba

Interesting. I’m rolling naked today so I gave it a shot. Simply pressing firmly doesn’t do it for me, I have to squeeze. Would have never known it was a thing without this thread so it’s a nonissue to me.

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Interesting, but I wouldn’t call this a “problem” in my book. Not unless it impedes some sort of functionality.

That said, having never looked on newer models (using a 6s here) chasis, any chance this would be a factor in waterproofing? I don’t know if the logo actually goes through the rear case or if it’s a layer added to a solid surface (milled down so it sits flush of course).

Interesting thread.

7. Jay2456 thread starter macrumors newbie

It has to be in a quite environment. To actually hear it. I have until Jan 8 to return and/or get another 1.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...cx/iphone_xs_max_back_making_a_popping_sound/

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

9. Krabba macrumors regular

Krabba

Yep, I tried it in absolute silence and could only hear the popping when squeezing which isn’t something that I’d ever do in normal use so it is a nonissue for me. If it bugs you by all means make the exchange. No guarantee of course the new one won’t do the same thing.

10. Krabba macrumors regular

Krabba

11. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

12. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

13. BLBL, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

BLBL macrumors 6502a

I don't think you would need to remove your phone from the case to hear this (if yours has that feature). My X is in Apple leather case and I can clearly hear it making that sound in silent place. At first I thought it might be just leather squeaking but once I was installing my wife's phone before I put it in a case I could hear the similar sounds. That one also makes the same sound in case (not Apple case but plastic generic wallet type thing ladies like to use).

But again if that is some problem with adhesive connecting back and front to the middle steel rim what would be the problem??? Maybe water "proofness" would not work so well but I have no intention to sink mine in the water ever, and Apple even mentions that water proofing (or what ever it is called) is not a permanent feature and it might decrease from wear (I cannot remember exact phrase they use, but see for technical specifications of the phone and you find that small print in the end where it is mentioned). I admit that sound it makes, completely ruins the premium quality feel and reminds me of the cheap plastic mobile phones we had back in the day when smart phone was not even invented but otherwise that is just annoyance.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just try to avoid squeezing your phone in quiet places.

15. BLBL macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know, I'm holding it wrong. :)
    Seriously, it is time that manufacturers start to manufacture premium product with premium quality for demanding users, even for little higher price. It has begin to feel too stressful buying new stuff when things like this happen, once you find good a unit you want to hold it forever trying to avoid that stress with new device. I know sounds crazy, but I'm sure many others feel the same deep down.

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Yea! Mine does the same thing even with the Apple leather case on. Only when I press on the logo! Maybe it's a secret signal or something. A Message to Steve!

Talk about a non issue...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    No squeezing needed. Just press the logo on the back of your case (assuming an Apple case) and you should be able to hear it...

17. BLBL macrumors 6502a

Actually there are at least two (probably much more) variants of this problem. Mine does not make the sound by pressing the logo on the back (only when I do the twisting motion or press the sides of the phone) but my wife's phone does like you said (but even then it also need to that you also press on the display side at the same time). Essentially I guess root cause for those problems come from the same thing.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would never ask Apple to replace for something like this as my MAX has been perfect.

19. Jay2456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Some people lease their phones. I wouldn’t be complaining. Cash paid clos
    It’s good to know that I’m not the only one. The phone is fingerprint magnet and while I was cleaning back of the phone I heard it. Again, it may not be a big deal to some but it was to me after spending about $1,400 w/ screen protector and case.

I went to the Apple Store and they said it’s not normal to hear the clicking/popping sound from the back of the logo. So the guy laughed, he said I don’t blame you especially for an expensive device like this.

Also, I was not charged for the screen protector I purchased through apple. As long you have the receipt it’s not a problem.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

All of us are different, I am not telling you what to do, just what I would do.

Enjoy!

21. BLBL macrumors 6502a

Did you get brand new phone in retail box like original or refurbished or white box stuff? You also tested it does not make that sound?

22. Jay2456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brand new retail box. We opened box together to make sure I did not get another defective one. My receipt was good until Jan 8 return date. No questions asked. Exchanged without a problem. Happy Customer.

23. BLBL macrumors 6502a

That was good service, but I guess when buying from Apple Store, you get better service. Have you tested that one in quiet environment yet to make sure it does not make any sounds, since I imagine shops are quiet loud places?

24. Jay2456 thread starter macrumors newbie

The service was excellent. I agree when purchasing at the Apple Store not a problem. Yes, I synched my iPhone at home quite environment. No popping/clicking sound. The back is solid the way my 8 plus was.

Again, if you have this issue as long you’re within the 14 days or an extension until Jan 8th. Return it if you’re unhappy spending over 1,000. Most people lease their phones and they may not care because they’re getting a new one in a year or so. Not me. I’m planning on keeping it for at least 2-3 years without any defects.

25. BLBL macrumors 6502a

Mine is not from Apple store, so I don't have luxury of that service and I don't want to end up getting a refurbished or what ever they call those replacement phones you get from service center.