Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I am not seeing a thread regarding bumpers. Please delete if there is one being actively posted in.

Looking to see what everyone is using. I had a nova bumper for my iPhone X, looking for something for the XS max now.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Are Rhinoshield bumpers easy to remove? My friend suggested me not to use it as it is difficult to uninstall.

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Lol, of course. Like any other case:). Watch youtube videos.
It’s just a “case” without s back

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
pretty sure Rhinoshield should be coming out with one soon, their bumpers are amazing. great for space grey phones since the freaking black side is a total fingerprint magnet and is averse to reflections badly vs Gold/Silver which is a brighter tone.

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
They already have one out for the Xs and Xs Max and seem to be better than the previous ones:

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Ordered a Rhino NX bumper for my Xs this week. Haven’t used a bumper in the last few years so it will be interesting. I like the minimalist look though.

What I really miss is the Element Case Sector series bumpers. Those were the best phone cases I ever had. High quality materials, metal, looked sharp, and very well put together. Unfortunately EC has moved to cheap plastic cases like everyone else lately and they are nothing special (the Black Ops may be an exception, but they are huge and way too expensive).

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Does anyone know if any other companies make a similar style bumper to RhinoShield?

I like the durability and protection of the RhinoShield, but not a fan of their new NX products. I don't like the separation of the RIM or BackPlate and wished they made one solid piece like the original CrashGuard.

Not a fan of the thin bumpers that ThanoTech or ESR makes.

Any similar recommendations?

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Does anyone know if any other companies make a similar style bumper to RhinoShield?

I like the durability and protection of the RhinoShield, but not a fan of their new NX products. I don't like the separation of the RIM or BackPlate and wished they made one solid piece like the original CrashGuard.

Not a fan of the thin bumpers that ThanoTech or ESR makes.

Any similar recommendations?

None that I know of. There are some replicas etc but crap quality.

razmonster

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2017
11372↔️90254
while i usually buy 2-3 different cases each year for whatever reason I favor one style over the others
this year im loving the Ranvoo bumper. i have tempered glass on the front and back as well
This bumper has raised edges on the back 4 corners as well so the back of the phone should theoretically never touch a surface if dropped

Attachments

• D2457972-4E3D-4CA6-A3C4-8FBF10C49B1C.png
    D2457972-4E3D-4CA6-A3C4-8FBF10C49B1C.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 266
  • C8E8C9C8-C2BA-4E66-AAB1-5BC9C5188026.jpeg
    C8E8C9C8-C2BA-4E66-AAB1-5BC9C5188026.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 277
  • C18292FA-5160-4221-9413-4E0CA0DE752A.jpeg
    C18292FA-5160-4221-9413-4E0CA0DE752A.jpeg
    975.4 KB · Views: 293

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
If the back of the iPhone XS Max has a skin from dbrand or slickwrap, can we use the Rhinoshield bumper with it?

Are they compatible?

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I’m curious as the reviews for the Ranvoo say it does interfere with the cell signal. That may be why the K11 bumper still isn’t out.
The Ranvoo bumper and the Thanotech K11 are only similar because both have metal parts. However the K11 TPU margins are much larger than those on the Ranvoo and there are more of them. The oval shape holes at the lower corners of the Ranvoo do little to help with the signal. The k11 is stainless steel not aluminum like the Ranvoo. If there is signal degradation with the k11 it is certainly less than the Ranvoo. The k11 isn't out yet because, as they informed me in this direct quote, it's a problem with manufacturing.

"Thank you for reaching out to us! We would or course love to have that new bumper delivered to you as soon as possible. There have however been a couple of delays with the Manufacturers that are out of our control so unfortunately a delivery near the first of the month does not seem likely."

Reactions: Jaggrey

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
The Ranvoo bumper and the Thanotech K11 are only similar because both have metal parts. However the K11 TPU margins are much larger than those on the Ranvoo and there are more of them. The oval shape holes at the lower corners of the Ranvoo do little to help with the signal. The k11 is stainless steel not aluminum like the Ranvoo. If there is signal degradation with the k11 it is certainly less than the Ranvoo. The k11 isn't out yet because, as they informed me in this direct quote, it's a problem with manufacturing.

"Thank you for reaching out to us! We would or course love to have that new bumper delivered to you as soon as possible. There have however been a couple of delays with the Manufacturers that are out of our control so unfortunately a delivery near the first of the month does not seem likely."

Makes sense. In the email they sent out last week talking about the delay, they said they had to accommodate for the extra antenna band position on the XS phones which meant they had to slightly tweak the design of the case, which introduced a further delay.

And as some of you know, there was a change to the iPhone that has never been done before since the introduction of the 4G iPhone and antennas. They have added a few more antennas and PC separators (seen below) on top of the original (4) lines have been accounted for in the K11 each year. That is why we have the TPU gaps so we can separate the metal on the bumper to minimize interference. It has been a top priority to make sure that there are no issues with reception via Wi-Fi or cellular on top of the usual matching of the gold steel of the iPhone. Please understand that steel is a lot harder to electroplate instead of the normal anodize of aluminum that we used for the 6/7/8 K11's so the gold took its time to match after we got the phone. This is a main reason Apple didn't launch the gold last year.

With these tests going on it took us about (4) weeks to lock down and be confident with the design you ordered. We are continuing with that design as it is beautiful and we do not have any issues with reception. Due to this delay we now have an estimated delivery of January 2019 (one month delay for additional tests and another few weeks for the holiday overload at the factory). Our first prototypes will be delivered at the end of December and we will send an update then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.