Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robguz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
Strangely, the Xserve is now delayed for shipping until the time of MWNY. A lot of people were saying no way the new powermacs would be faster than the Xserve. Maybe they will also upgrade the Xserve to the same specs before they ship them so there is not a disparity. I think this delay is good news and hopefully means we'll see some decent speed bumps in the towers.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
yes, this is probably good news, maybe a quad processor would be included. Oh Well, the worst it could be is that Apple's selling the hell out of them, which isn't bad either.:D

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
nah... apple usually will still ship stuff even if theres an upgrade the next day...

like apple still sold 8 the day before 9 was released... i wouldnt get yer hopes up...

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I'm thinking it's not going to get an upgrade. why piss off the early buyers by upgrading a product that's just shipping?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by rugby
I'm thinking it's not going to get an upgrade. why piss off the early buyers by upgrading a product that's just shipping?

The only reason I can see supporting a delay/upgrade:

If Apple is buying processors in lots of 50,000, and they can tack existing XServe processor orders onto a ramped up schedule for new PMacs, they may be negotiating for a better price buy using the XServe orders for volume.

50,000 1.4GHz processors is cheaper than 46,000.

Or it could be a problem...

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
What is the delay you guys are talking about? Mine are supposed to ship next Monday.

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
xServes aren't meant to be used as singles, so what would it matter if the desktop G4 is faster? a full rack vs. a 1.4 G4 with DDR333 still lags behind neh? plus the xServe market is a quite one, and doesn't require the epochal setting for announcements that the consumer goods tend to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.