Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Good Find?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MichaelAudet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Rhode Island
I recently came across a G4 xserve single processor. The odd thing was the person I purchased it from stated that he worked for a landfill in Mass. When he came across it, it was (from what he tells me ) still sealed in the box. He did open it and tape it back up (poorly) to make sure the contents were intact true to the package. I removed the tape he placed on the box carefully.

I opened the box when I got home(I assume for the second time) removed the documentation and started looking through it. All of the disks are present and all of the documentation is present, Even the rack mounting gear and allen key to lock the system. It also still has the plastic shield around the front of the unit to protect it from damage in shipping. Needless to say I took it out of the box and removed the shield to see if it still had the drives, which it does. 1 60 gig drive in the far right caddy and 1 180 gig drive next to it and two empty trays.

I mainly want to know as a collector if this is at all significant of a find. Literally the only fingerprints on the device are my own. The box is in rough shape and I have not yet put power to it to check if it boots but none the less I thought it was a cool rescue. And for fifty bucks I can justify the waste of gas money.

This is my fourth xserve, all 3 of my other units were scarred and drive-less when I picked them up thanks to the uncaring IT fellows that abused them.

Again I collect Macs. I was never really in a position when I was younger to be able to afford a mac, I think thats probably why I have a collection today (from g3 on at-least) and why every year my wife resents me a little more.

received_10207168938434996.jpeg
20160514_160746.jpg

[doublepost=1463367735][/doublepost]I also find it interesting that they ordered twelve. I wish all twelve were in my collection lol.

Last edited:

MichaelAudet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Rhode Island
Opened the box and hooked it up to power and a monitor today. It works!

Still has the plastic wrap from the factory on it.

20160516_183320.jpg
20160516_183332.jpg
20160516_183337.jpg
20160516_184827.jpg
20160516_184747.jpg

rmm805

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
I don't know if it's worth anything as a collector but "new" old Apple gadgets are cool to find. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: MichaelAudet

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I love the Xserve - I had one a few years ago and it was easily the coolest server in the rack. Not sure I'd want one at home though as I remember it having very loud fans :)

MichaelAudet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Rhode Island
Yeah, I finally got an XServe recently. Once the size and noise became apparent either I or the Xserve had to move to back porch.

This g4 isn't that bad noise-wise, both of my late 2006 3.0 ghz xeon Xserves are very loud. I prefer the sound any day compared to children trying to kill eachother or nagging.
[doublepost=1463611236][/doublepost]
I love the Xserve - I had one a few years ago and it was easily the coolest server in the rack. Not sure I'd want one at home though as I remember it having very loud fans :)

They are loud but very nice machines. My 2.3DP G5 is also loud under a load but quiet as a whisper when idle or under normal use. the only downside to the xserve is that at idle it is just as loud as the G5 at max load lol.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
The first gen G4 unit must be very rare, and likely worth more as a collector item. The first gen were very loud, and can be easily ID'ed by their tray loading optical drive.

We had one had at work, bought it when they first were announced. Sounded like hair dryer...even at idle doing nothing. :eek:

The second gen with the slot load optical drive (that the OP has) was less harsh on the ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.