Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shwetabh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
I recently purchased a 15" powerbook and since I am used to working on a UNIX environment installed the free X windows on it as well. However, to get applications the only place I could find was fink.org , which is working well but I am having a few problems installing some of the applications. I was wondering if someone else has any XWindows experience on Macs and knows where to get applications for the same. Thanks.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
shwetabh said:
I recently purchased a 15" powerbook and since I am used to working on a UNIX environment installed the free X windows on it as well. However, to get applications the only place I could find was fink.org , which is working well but I am having a few problems installing some of the applications. I was wondering if someone else has any XWindows experience on Macs and knows where to get applications for the same. Thanks.

Fink.org as a app called fink-commander(fc).
fc works as apt-get and you can install via fink comander.
(if you want you can still use apt-get in xterm)
Be sure to install the whole fink package (think the newest is 0.7).
Almost all gnu/linux (and other unix sources) apps can be compiled with standard configure and make commands.
You can also install a window manager under x11 also,
i tried first to get kde to work but there was some bugs.
I'm now running Windowmaker (GNU Step) on my powerbook.
There is a nice feature that make x11 either run in fullscreen or in the same desktop as macosx.

Here is macosx and windowmaker on the same desktop:
x11gnu.jpg

And here is only windowmaker in x11 environment:
x11.jpg

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
X11 is on your installer DVD if you're running Panther. Use Pacifist to get the package off of the DVD and install it.

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
Sometimes, you'll find apps that say they need x11 and they have a dmg file. Example Open Office, MatLab. But look at the apps you want and see if they have the mac port of it. If not try getting the source and install it as if you are in unix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.