y’all are taking over our world

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Dec 7, 2016.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just a word of caution. When you look at an extremist, and tar a whole group by their actions, then you must accept when the same thing can be done with your group.

Dylan Roof does not represent all white people.

Likewise, criminals who kill in the name of Islam do not represent all Muslims.

If we could understand that simple truth, then we'd all be better off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/us/dylann-roof-trial.html

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Very sad situation. Clearly a severely mentally ill man. I firmly believe people with such radical racial views suffer from mental illness. I believe racism (or bigotry/descrimination if "racism" is only reserved for white people) is rooted in fear. The feeling of fear may be real, but the association with race is what is pathological.

I work in mental health. I've seen numerous patients get well and realize they have lost racist ideology. Why? If I had to guess, they stop attributing their fear with other races and instead address the underlying fears- economic insecurity, personal safety, feelings of inferiority, etc. It's also human nature to judge people taking one glance at them, but what you do with that judgement makes all the difference.

The actions of mass murdering a group of people goes beyond the pathology racism. Now we're talking about sociopathy and something much darker. There's a social construction of justifiable killing of human beings. For any sane being, race is not one of them.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Dylan Roof may very well have mental issues. But the question remains: Who put these ideas into his head?

Dylan Roof grew up in a world where a great many of his race and class have the shrieks and lies of Rush Limbaugh, of Fox News, and Alex Jones as the background soundtrack to their lives. Where Barack Obama was a secret Muslim foreign agent. Where Black panther "thugs" stole the 2008 election. And so many more.

If you work in mental health, you know full well that most mentally ill people are not violent. That they pose more of a threat to themselves than to others.

But put a lifetime's worth of racially-charged hate-speech, mix well with easy access to firearms, and what you end up with is Dylan Roof and a church full of dead African-American Christians.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Still claiming the news that you don't watch or like is racist huh?

5. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Are you suggesting that none of it is racist?

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He/She made the claims. Are you claiming that some of it is racist? I don't watch Info Wars/Fox News minus the occasional FN Youtube clip(watching Tucker Carlson destroy his guests is good stuff). Occasionally I listen to Rush, I just can't stand all the ads that AM radio has. The times I have listened to him I can't recall anything racial coming out of his mouth. Surely if He/She or anyone else is making the claims that some one/news organization is racist they can provide evidence.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'll keep an eye out for priests spreading the gospel that involves slaughtering infidels of the US.

End of day in the world we live in today, it's going to be safer for us to cut off entry from those regions and to use extreme vetting.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of the markets skyrocketing rise since Trump won. Ironic considering many thought the world was going to implode if he had won.

8. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Why limit yourself to only priests?

White supremacists don't have to wear a frock to get their message heard and spread.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

in the us it would be gays and transgender. infidels are to be converted. well so are gays if possible.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

So what if the various churches don't support them? Not everyone has to embrace that lifestyle. Doesn't mean they are bad people, but not everyone has to agree with how they live. It's also a far cry from preaching to kill them.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2016 ---
    Because a white supremacist isn't a main-line religion. I also don't see many skin heads making their way into a church and converting them so that they begin to hide there and preach their crap.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is not a lifestyle it is life. and yes I can give you links to preachers calling for death to gays.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

False equivalency, white people are a race that covers a wide variety of nationalities and religions while Islam is an ideology that implores its followers to kill unbelievers. So while it's obviously true that not all Muslims are terrorists, but those who are true believers are far more likely to resort to terrorist tactics than Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Sikhs, Hindus or pretty much any other religion.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

In June, Pastor Roger Jimenez from Verity Baptist Church in Sacramento told his congregation that Christians “shouldn’t be mourning the death of 50 sodomites."[/QUOTE]

That same month, a pastor in Tempe, Arizona made similar claims, saying in a YouTube video that the Orlando shooting had a "bright side"

14. belvdr macrumors 603

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant, isn't this splitting hairs? Lifestyle is a subset of one's life, no?

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

In this case it is just saying choice. Never hear of a heterosexual lifestyle.

16. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think you're applying that correctly here.

I'm not offering up an equivalency, I'm offering a principle that can guide one regardless of the difference in the circumstances.

For example: if one honors their vows of marriage, it doesn't matter whether you are approached by a skanky whore on a street corner, or the hot co-worker on a business trip. Those circumstances are not equivalent, but if one is guided by their principles, they won't give in to temptation in either case.

The tendency to broad brush entire classes of people over the actions of a few is one seen often here in PRSI. I can see you struggle with that yourself. I believe it's important to not fall into that common trap, and to embrace a principled positions, even when challenged by the circumstances in the world around us.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Weren't we just talking about the media (and I'm not sure if infowars could actually be considered media). I'm not really sure what you're suggesting, most white people are racist?

"Most mentally ill people are not violent". Yes "most" are not. I think you mean psychotic people are not. But there are some violent and very violent mentally ill people. There's an entire industry related to mentally ill people who are violent. I think you'd be surprised.

I see and hear racist things, but I don't kill people. I don't think Fox News or Infowars promotes the killing of black people. What Roof did was his own decision. There will always be mentally ill people who do horrific things. Identifying these people and Keeping weapons out of their hands I think is the best way to solve this problem.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

And I'm pretty sure you won't think anything as racist, unless it's blatantly spoken as such. But they can't get away with that, so they participate in passive and discursive racism. They also participate in supporting systemic racism (like Stop and Frisk).

19. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I'm not painting anything with a broad brush, just stating the fact that Muslims are FAR more likely to engage in religiously-motivated terrorism than virtually any other group. Sure, you can be politically correct and try to rationalize it, deny it or blame someone else, but facts are facts whether you like it or not.

20. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Complete false equivalency. White people is not an ideology or a viewpoint. Fact of the matter is there are disturbing elements within Islam from its very beginning of subjugation and conquering both historically and at its core. No other religion has ever been radicalized to the scale it has. Nearly all the terrorist attacks committed today are done in the name of Islam by Muslim people. Obviously I'm not suggesting we round up all muslims, but one thing they should definitely consider is deep reflection on the culture of their religion and the amount oppression caused by it all over the world.

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Can you imagine what would have happened if we had rampant PC culture in the 1930s and 40s? The bleeding hearts would import half the of the third reich since not all Nazis are bad. *shudder*

22. appleisking macrumors 6502a

No need. Today's world would have squarely lost to the Nazis they'd be here of through conquest. Think 1930s european appeasement was bad holy **** imagine now....

23. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Post #16.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I thought it was white supremacists who thought nazis were great?

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn