Yahoo and NSA eavesdropping: unacceptable

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Oct 4, 2016.

1. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You're kidding yourself if you don't believe everything you do online is being monitored and tracked.

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Why invent when one can buy? Oh, wait, that can stifle innovation an creativity too...

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Pretty much.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Yahoo really not helping themselves in the public opinion area the past week.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I already know what that thing sounds like, not hitting play.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, seriously. I already had it on good authority that as of yesterday, Yahoo and my ISP were "still trying to determine possible impact" of that years-old large security breach on the provider's Yahoo-hosted mail service.

When I read about the breach in Ars Tech or wherever, I immediately changed all my passwords yet again for mail accounts I have with my provider. Even so, and even given that I use best practices including changing passes periodically anyway, I was nonetheless already exasperated at Yahoo.

I'm incredulous that these idiots not only took so long to notify even their direct account holders of the breach, but also apparently were unconcerned about impact on customers of any ISPs who had outsourced their mail operations to Yahoo.

The only excuse I could think of was that maybe Yahoo was actually asked not to reveal it by the US government or something. So they could observe whether an international actor was involved etc etc. Even so why would that not be revealed by now in order to help keep the stupid company's stock from going underwater during its supposed acquisition deal.

But... but... now comes this revelation about acquiescence to scan Yahoo mails using a "selector" of specific characters or terms for NSA. Are you kidding me?

So why should I be concerned about whether some hacker got my email usernames and passwords when the US government got a company to search through the content and attachments of my and everyone else's mail last year for some desired terms (assuming that the software operated on Yahoo-hosted services used by other internet service providers).

tbh for years I've disliked the fact that more and more user-tailored information has been pumped into the subject lines and message body of transactional emails with vendors. It's pretty clear it's not that hard to build a profile on the planet's "connected" population that way. I mean especially since I guess you can buy a hacker if you're a corporation with a marketing budget's worth of money to spend. So aside from the NSA I already had resentments about mail scanning and not knowing who was building what databases out of these mining operations.

Elsewhere today here I was posting in some thread about how I have to work hard at not being cynical sometimes.

This stuff is part of the reason for that, absolutely. I'm really sick of the arguments about how if you have nothing to hide, who cares who looks at your data. Well what is that about but a complete cave-in to totalitarianism. I don't care who's doing the looking, whether its corporate private sector or government. It deserves the label "fascist" that reasonable and law abiding people are increasingly willing to stick on it.

7. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

making fun of other people's laughs. typical

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's not a laugh, that's a plea for a quick and merciful death.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Aww, my feels.

10. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

a trump supporter talking about "feels" lmao

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I don't support him.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Area Man Outraged His Private Information Being Collected By Someone Other Than Advertisers

[​IMG]

From TheOnion

13. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Yahoo! didn’t want to lose again by fighting the rogue U.S. government, forced into complying or bankrupted.

You think you’ve got bills? Government could have fined Yahoo trillions of dollars

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-could-have-fined-yahoo-trillions-of-dollars/

For an illuminating glimpse of government power in action, it’s hard to beat the fines the Justice Department threatened to level against Yahoo if it didn’t comply with a secret and sweeping surveillance request in 2008. News coverage of the case, for which documents were unsealed last week, reported the proposed fines as $250,000 a day. But there was also a clause that called for a doubling of the amount each week if Yahoo refused to comply. It was more than enough to bankrupt the company after just a few months.

Yahoo’s longtime outside counsel, Marc Zwillinger, who was lead attorney in the unsuccessful fight against the government’s data demand, calculated the cost of resistance at more than $25 million after the first month and $400 million in the second month. “And practically speaking,” Zwillinger noted in a blog post published Monday afternoon, “coercive civil fines means that the government would seek increased fines, with no ceiling, until Yahoo complied.”

imrs.jpg

That was Yahoo! forced to comply with PRISM, this slide provided by the hero Edward Snowden shows Yahoo! and how many additional U.S. tech companies Hoebama’s treasonous bitch ass forced into it after his inauguration, that includes Apple.

NSA Prism program taps in to user data of Apple, Google and others

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data

The National Security Agency has obtained direct access to the systems of Google, Facebook, Apple and other US internet giants, according to a top secret document obtained by the Guardian.

The NSA access is part of a previously undisclosed program called Prism, which allows officials to collect material including search history, the content of emails, file transfers and live chats, the document says.

The Guardian has verified the authenticity of the document, a 41-slide PowerPoint presentation – classified as top secret with no distribution to foreign allies – which was apparently used to train intelligence operatives on the capabilities of the program. The document claims "collection directly from the servers" of major US service providers.

HoebamaPRISM.jpg