yahoo doesn´t care about mac

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by cycledance, Oct 23, 2014.

1. cycledance Suspended

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/messenger/SLN24720.html

WHAT?

is it just me or do tech companies just suck in general?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Open Messages, add accounts, yahoo

I am surprised that anyone still uses Yahoo and I am trying to figure out how the company actually survives.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

I agree with this. I never think of Yahoo in connection with anything and I have no idea why people go there.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed. I am fairly sure that this is an indication that Yahoo will be shutting the messenger service down.

Looking at the last release versions, I reckon that I am right

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It's a mystery to me as well. I think At&t customers are forced to deal with Yahoo for their mail. I had a friend with At&t email who had their yahoo account hacked. We were unable to recover the account so we simply walked away and provisioned her email through gmail.

Well there is still flickr. I once tried to renew my flicker pro subscription using paypal. Between yahoo and paypal they fumbled around for a whopping 60 days with my money in some sort of "limbo" during which time I lost access to the bulk of my photos. I never used flickr or any other Yahoo service again after that fiasco.

I've tried Apple's new photos beta and while I like it, it does require I spend money for enough space for my photos. There are other completely free services out there but back when they were still flailing around (shutterfly and picasa) and imposing restrictions like automatic downsizing (google+), I started using Smugmug. There is no way Yahoo flickr could ever lure me back from that excellent (paid) service but perhaps I might find that Apple's iCloud photo manages to lure me back. I'll have to wait and see.

As for Yahoo messenger not supporting Yosemite, I think it is foolish for Yahoo to support a platform with a 1% year over year decline in sales (Windows) and abandon a platform with 18% year over year growth in sales (OSX). The real headline for this thread should have been something that has been true for years: Yahoo doesn't care about Yahoo.

6. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I don't like to judge people, but when someone's email address is from Yahoo, it's very difficult not to judge them :D

7. Sgtarky macrumors regular

yahoo mail isnt working in mail either. It initially downloads from the server then it goes offline

8. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

?

it works fine here.

9. Sgtarky macrumors regular

looking at mine with a big triangle on it, it can send email just hasn't received anything in 2 days

10. JonLa macrumors 6502

There are a few people who still use Yahoo for video chats. You can add Yahoo for text chats to Messages in Yosemite, but I haven't found any video alternative except to tell your family and friends to join a different service.

11. fanfouet74 macrumors newbie

I'm same situation JonLa, if you found alternative of yahoo messenger for video chat, i will be interested ...

Thank's a lots in advance
    Kinds regards,
    fanfouet

12. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Who cares about Yahoo these days? Nobody.
    That's why they haven't supported Mac yet because, as you said, most tech companies suck.

13. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Yahoo Reminders/Tasks sync with both Mac and iOS Reminders, which is more than is offered by Google or Outlook.com.