Yahoo: Donald Trump Makes History With Zero Major Newspaper Endorsements

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jess13, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

This may seem more damaging than it is, when major newspapers and broadcast media are widely viewed with more distrust than at any time in history. The dishonest media endorsed the War Party and Establishment incompetent candidate.

Donald Trump Makes History With Zero Major Newspaper Endorsements

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-t...o-major-newspaper-endorsements-000943174.html

With just a little over a month until election day, Donald Trump has racked up zero major newspaper endorsements, a first for any major party nominee in American history.

Americans’ Trust in Mass Media Sinks to New Low

http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/americans-trust-mass-media-sinks-new-low.aspx

Americans' trust and confidence in the mass media "to report the news fully, accurately and fairly" has dropped to its lowest level in Gallup polling history, with 32% saying they have a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media. This is down eight percentage points from last year.

2. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

no. most people who work at newspapers tend to be more educated. they just see through donnys ******** for what he really is: human garbage

3. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

You realize that newspapers and broadcast media have editors/directors who decide what is published and endorsed and what isn’t? Those same editors/directors are the reason why newspapers and broadcast media are the least trusted in history. Dishonest media endorsed the worst 2016 candidate.

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i don't really watch media on TV so i can't comment on that with any authority. however, most good newspapers separate their editorials and opinions from reporting.

as for the TV thing, I know most cable news channels are in the market for info-tainment. i'm not talking about them. i'm talking about actual newspapers like NYT or WSJ. they're sticking to real journalism to report the news.

5. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Don't get too excited. It was the same with the UK's EU referendum. Pretty much every expert/newspaper advised people to vote to stay in the EU. But the Brexiters won anyway.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's not just that he has no endorsements, republican leaning newspapers that have never endorsed a Democrat before have forsaken him too. When republicans break 100+ year traditions to endorse a democrat, that is major.

7. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

More educated how? Source for this statistic?

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

it's not a statistic technically. and i don't have one. i'm just assuming. I mean i have a couple of friends, one who did english, and one who did journalism to work at newspapers. you have to write well to work at one...

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yahoo makes history by having accounts breached for years and giving .gov a back door.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

seems more like a problem with the FISC than yahoo. they wanted to tell but they were gag ordered. and IIRC they were gonna be fined 250k/day if they didn't comply.

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

And? All major media companies are owned by 1 of 6 companies above them, since competition has been greatly reduced over the last few decades. Thank deregulation, ironically. All 6 companies toeing the line - don't you find that interesting? Does that mean they all agree Trump was full of it when he said how we're $20T in the hole and have nothing to show for it? Or something else? (Yeah, I understand why Trump is being given secondary treatment. A devil's advocate approach tends to be more fascinating to begin with, regardless if it's right or incorrect.)

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I was honestly amazed at how many accounts they claimed to have.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

14. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I don't really consider writers to be anymore "educated" by working for a newspaper than a common person. Anybody, and I mean anybody, can get a degree in English or journalism. Writing well does not necessarily (or often) translate into being educated about a topic, especially two politics. Now I'd say on average that writers for, say, the New York Times are more intelligent, but not necessarily more educated.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2016 ---
    And journalism has only gotten worse! (Sort of joke)

But I think that just speaks to the necessity of obtaining a college degree in order to get a job.

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

more educated than the general public? of course they are. thats an objective fact. intelligence is another thing entirely that is way harder to measure.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2016 ---
    this is also probably true

16. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah but they aren't really more educated. Not in any way that is applicable here.

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

how do you define "educated" in this instance?

18. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't think having a degree necessarily makes you more educated. It would depend on many factors, like where you actually attended college, what classes you took, what the curriculum was, etc....

If you went to a top 25 school for journalism or something than yeah you're probably more educated than the general public, but if you went to a middle of the road university for journalism than I don't think you really are.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I think we are using different versions of educated.

"level of education" is a measurable thing. bacherlors, masters, doctorate. a person who graduated from a top 25 journalism school with a bachelors is the same as someone who graduated with a bachelors from a middle of the road university. the person who went to a top 25 school might be more intelligent and have more experience, but their level of education is the same

20. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Ah well in that case I'm saying bachelors degrees are useless since it's really easy to get and most people just don't care and just want the degree