Yakety Sax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Sep 13, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So, this blog that I read on a regular basis presented a question, based on a video that was posted to YouTube about a year ago. Can yakety sax (the music that Benny Hill used - you know what I mean) make anything seem funny, or at least "lighter"?

Before you watch, please be aware that it's likely to offend a lot of people.

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The only ones finding humor in that would be subconsciously or consciously taking delight in the outrageous denigration of a horrendous event. Realizing that "that" is not funny, would then work conversely, i.e. putting Enya - Only Time as background to a Benny Hill rendering = not funny. Context is greater than the five/six senses.

Bottom line: Boo.

4. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I hate myself.

It wasn't funny until they showed all the people running.

I learned something new about myself today. I'm a sick bastard. :(

5. Queso macrumors G4

Wow. It does really make the point doesn't it? You don't want to find it funny but you sort of do anyway. Weird...

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Would the reverse work? Some Benny Hill with Enya?

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All right. I can tell you that for me, the "Yakety Sax" music did bring a momentary grin to the corners of my mouth. I think the factor working here is association. It's a funny piece of music, and it produces in the mind an instantaneous association with (as several pointed out), funny, fast-paced slapstick.

Now: that does not mean that it made the footage funny. I was extremely uneasy watching that, because it also reminded me of how horrified I was at the original event.

So...funny music plus horrible event? I can't say that it made me feel amused or offended. What it did do was produce a weird kind of cognitive dissonance, and an urge to quickly turn it off.

I wasn't offended, though, because it was presented as an experiment. If some jerk had put that up and said, "Hey, isn't this hysterical??", then yes, I would've been pissed.

Not sure what this proved, except that no, "Yakety Sax" doesn't make everything funny.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The bloggers feelings sum mine up pretty well: