Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrslbrt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem. I tried to connect my Yamaha keyboard, which is only a cheap YPG-235, to my retina Macbook pro using the USB connection.

Upon realizing that I needed the drivers before I could connect to Studio One or Logic. But when I went to Yamaha's website, I couldn't find any drivers for Mountain Lion, which is 10.8.

If I can't get the drivers, it won't let me use it as a midi controller, so the questions are:

-Is there a way to use the old drivers with my current OS?

-If not, can a USB interface allow me to transmit midi data without the need of a driver?

:confused:

Last edited:

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem. I tried to connect my Yamaha keyboard, which is only a cheap YPG-235, to my retina Macbook pro using the USB connection.

Upon realizing that I needed the drivers before I could connect to Studio One or Logic. But when I went to Yamaha's website, I couldn't find any drivers for Mountain Lion, which is 10.8.

If I can't get the drivers, it won't let me use it as a midi controller, so the questions are:

-Is there a way to use the old drivers with my current OS?

-If not, can a USB interface allow me to transmit midi data without the need of a driver?

:confused:

Most of the m-audio cheapie midi/usb units are "class compliant" and don't require any driver - so you should be able to plug your Yamaha, or any other midi keyboard, into one and it should work.

You can usually find them on craigslist for $20
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

Best luck.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Older Yamaha keyboards were not "class compliant" and needed drivers. But you should be able to use the two round "real MIDI" jacks and a new MIDI interface that is class compliant and therefore does not need a driver.

I call the two round DIN jacks "real" MIDI because that is what th MIDI standard uses. these are universally comparable with all MIDI gear. If your keyboard lacks these then you are just plain out of luck.

chrslbrt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Older Yamaha keyboards were not "class compliant" and needed drivers. But you should be able to use the two round "real MIDI" jacks and a new MIDI interface that is class compliant and therefore does not need a driver.

I call the two round DIN jacks "real" MIDI because that is what th MIDI standard uses. these are universally comparable with all MIDI gear. If your keyboard lacks these then you are just plain out of luck.

Right, I understood how to connect an actual midi keyboard to an interface and how that works, I'm just less familiar with USB. Perhaps my question came off as noobish :p

However, I've actually resolved the issue because Yamaha finally updated their drivers from 10.6.x to 10.8.x since I've made this thread. Maybe they're lurking... hehe.

Thanks for the help though.

Arab1

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Right, I understood how to connect an actual midi keyboard to an interface and how that works, I'm just less familiar with USB. Perhaps my question came off as noobish :p

However, I've actually resolved the issue because Yamaha finally updated their drivers from 10.6.x to 10.8.x since I've made this thread. Maybe they're lurking... hehe.

Thanks for the help though.

I have the same problem, I can't find the driver, I looked on Yamahas page for the YPG 235 but can't find it. Can you help me please?

Thanks

chrslbrt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
I have the same problem, I can't find the driver, I looked on Yamahas page for the YPG 235 but can't find it. Can you help me please?

Thanks

Yeah, I just googled their page. Yamaha's USB midi drives are the same across the board, so I just googled the midi driver for yamaha, and I went to their page.

When I made this thread, it wasn't updated with with the newest OS. Now, it's updated with a driver for 10.8.x.

http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/

----------

I think you look under DGX230 and find it.
Just go to this website:

Arab1

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Yeah, I just googled their page. Yamaha's USB midi drives are the same across the board, so I just googled the midi driver for yamaha, and I went to their page.

When I made this thread, it wasn't updated with with the newest OS. Now, it's updated with a driver for 10.8.x.

----------

Just go to this website:

Hey, thanks a lot, got to work in 1 minet, goot to know that they are the same across the board, thanks again.

Nicslayer

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2013
Yamaha YPG-235 Midi transfer

I was able to create the connection between my keyboard and mac, but haven't been able to figure out how to send midi files from my mac to the keyboard since the keyboard only has a usb type B port. Anyone have luck with this or a program that allows me to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I was able to create the connection between my keyboard and mac, but haven't been able to figure out how to send midi files from my mac to the keyboard since the keyboard only has a usb type B port. Anyone have luck with this or a program that allows me to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

What are you using for the connection between keyboard and computer? If you can use your keyboard to control VSTs on the computer, you should also be able to send MIDI files the other way. Also, I assume you mean that you want to play MIDI files in your DAW and have the keyboard sound?

AnaLucia

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
Mac to Midi

What are you using for the connection between keyboard and computer? If you can use your keyboard to control VSTs on the computer, you should also be able to send MIDI files the other way. Also, I assume you mean that you want to play MIDI files in your DAW and have the keyboard sound?

I have the same problem. My Macbook Pro is talking to my Yamaha E333 but I can't figure out how to move MIDI files from my mac to Keyboard. Please help?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have the same problem. My Macbook Pro is talking to my Yamaha E333 but I can't figure out how to move MIDI files from my mac to Keyboard. Please help?

Likely you can't. Transferring files is not something you typically do with MIDI. What you'd do is import the data to the sequencer software then play the track on your MIDI keyboard. But why? I bet you have a better software instrument.

What's the "big picture" goal. I bet there is some way to do what you want.

toddstaples

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
I cannot connect a Yamaha P-60 to my Macbook Air (SO FRUSTRATED)

I have tried everything I can find and still no luck.

I have installed both of the most recent 2 drivers (1.3.1 and 1.3.2) and tried the following with both:

I am trying to connect directly to Garage Band and my device never shows up. I launch the "Audio MIDI Setup" program and the device does not show up. If I manually add a new device and put it in Testing mode, nothing happens when I hit any keys.

I have tried all of the above with the cables in: IN>IN OUT>OUT and IN>OUT OUT>IN

Could it simply be the cable I have? Is there anything else I could be doing wrong?

This is the cable I am using:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ACGMOA6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have tried everything I can find and still no luck.

I have installed both of the most recent 2 drivers (1.3.1 and 1.3.2) and tried the following with both:

I am trying to connect directly to Garage Band and my device never shows up. I launch the "Audio MIDI Setup" program and the device does not show up. If I manually add a new device and put it in Testing mode, nothing happens when I hit any keys.

I have tried all of the above with the cables in: IN>IN OUT>OUT and IN>OUT OUT>IN

Could it simply be the cable I have? Is there anything else I could be doing wrong?

This is the cable I am using:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ACGMOA6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From the support community pages, it seems that the cable IS the issue here..I run a different setup using a Novation KB and a Yamaha board, but that involves different connections...essentially I'd try to borrow a couple of different cables.

toddstaples

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
It worked!

It worked!

It seems it was the cable. I installed a new one and it worked instantly.

Advice: Don't waste your time and money buying a cheap cable. Buy something nice for roughly $30 and you'll be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.