Year old 12" MacBook Screen Not Working ´

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Arty Tales, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Arty Tales macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook 12" bought in December 2016 with a screen that only works at certain angles (the display cable is apparently broken but there is no damage, cosmetic or otherwise).

The original retailer (a rather large one in Germany) is of no help at all other than referring me to Apple. My experience with Apple is useless too. Although the MacBook is just 25 days past its Apple Care period, the Apple Store I went to refused to show any flexibility other than offer a repair for almost €450. They cannot replace the cable alone but have to install a new screen .

I am a bit disappointed at Apple's lack of flexibility and being told by the manager that "I should have bought Apple care" and them fixing now would be "unfair to other customers".

I was expecting a little bit more from a €2000 laptop.:mad:

Any ideas of how I could follow this up. I almost want to get rid of every Apple device in the house including an almost new iPhone X.:rolleyes:

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Surely you're protected by consumer law if the damage was not caused by obvious mishandling of the product.

Bitch as much as you can at the retailer you bought it from. As far as I know they're the ones who should be legally obliged to get the repair worked out with Apple, not you. That's how it is in Denmark, and I believe that's an EU law.

3. Arty Tales, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

Arty Tales thread starter macrumors newbie

The original retailer is giving me the run around. As a first step, I must send it to them and will get a diagnostic after 2-3 weeks but it is "unlikely to be be covered" because I did not purchase their extended warranty.

I am sure that after enough letters, it will be fixed through them but right now my focus is on getting the MacBook working quickly since it is my primary work device.

Having read so much about Apple's legendary customer service, I am not feeling that at all. I had a few issues with some older non-retina MacBook Pros (the hard drive cable at the time kept failing) but accepted to pay the reasonable repair fees because the devices were well out of the warranty period.

But now with a €2000 laptop 25 days out of its Apple care and I get no flexibility whatsoever.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

5. arqrez macrumors newbie

I have the same issue and Apple is of no help, I hate Apple now. and will probably sell all my Apple devices and move to Dell, at least they provide 3 years warranty and is flexible in extending the warranty even when you’re out of warranty...

6. Arty Tales thread starter macrumors newbie

I went back to the original retailer. Having paid €40 for them to look at it, they have come back after 2.5 weeks and refuse to cover it. They claim it is for me to prove it is a manufacturing defect... how can I do that?

I am quite gutted.

7. arqrez macrumors newbie

Believe me, I tried.

Apple support is the worst, they won't offer any repair. They'll just blame the whole issue on you and get away free.

The only thing I can recommend is for you to start boycotting Apple like I am doing from here on.

8. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

Idk if you can but I would try a different Apple Store. That response varies store to store based on management.