Yes Another One!! : Should I get the 4S or wait?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrJames, Jul 26, 2012.

1. DrJames macrumors member

I know there have been MANY threads on this but what are your opinions as of this timeframe? I am up for an upgrade (I currently have a Droid) and I really want an iPhone.

What are YOUR opinions? Should I go ahead and get the 4S or should I wait until (?)?

I'd really LOVE an iPhone before leave for school (in just a few weeks) and I do believe the 4S is completely compatible and capable for anything.

Anyway, opinions? Thanks, Guys!

2. RyanF macrumors newbie

At this point I'd probably wait. If the 5 will be released in fall it's around the corner and if you're going to be on contract for a while you're gonna wanna get the latest.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You know there have already been many threads. If were to read them, you'd have noticed most people recommended waiting.

I doubt that will change.

4. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

You should wait. There's no point in wasting an upgrade that you won't get another of for 24 months, when there's a new phone model around the corner. If don't have to get something immediately then I'd suggest waiting. If you have to get something right now, I'd go GS3.

5. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Read those other threads you were referring to. Make a decision based on that. If you don't feel like you would regret not waiting the 3-4 months, go ahead. But I can almost guarantee you would feel buyers remorse when Tim announces the big new feature *dun dun dun*

6. The iGentleman macrumors 6502a

Do you think there will be a big new feature? What I mean is, do you think it will actually be a big feature or just something we've already seen before?

7. 618537 Guest

Personally thinking 5 isn't worth it... not seen anything really amazing.

5S maybe.

8. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Anything is a big feature really. Maybe the next siri will have a "make me a sandwich" feature that will order a sandwich or something. There is always a little thing that would make you regret your decisions. Maybe its a 10 mp camera, an ir sensor built in to control your TV, etc. Obviously the examples I just stated were moronic, but I'm not apple and I don't have "geniuses" working for me ;)

9. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

This is the only part of your entire post I understand. And it should have said "It is a personal choice"

If this is what you mean; The iPhone 4s is technically the 5 if we are talking generations. But to the average consumer the 4s is the 4s and the 5 is the 5.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, at this point i would wait.

11. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Let me answer your question in the form of a question.

Should I get the 4S now, effectively locking me in to a 24 month contract, and the need to wait 3 generation from now (Not to mention having this same problem in July 2014), or wait a few months and be happy?

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's the curse of a contract and I don't understand why people choose to spend so much more a month just so they can get a discounted upgrade. It makes no sense.

13. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I would wait. Rumor has it thats coming out September, so its not that far away.

14. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Wait or you will be kicking yourself later. The design is already two years old. Do you want to be using it for two more years?

15. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Definitely wait for the next iPhone :) its only a few months away

16. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I would normally say go ahead and get it but the 4S is definitely an exception. I've read way too much about the bad battery life on that phone and it's the one thing that has kept me from upgrading. I'm now out of contract and (impatiently) waiting for the next release. It's a win win either way. If the new phone comes out and is terrible I can always buy the 4S for the price of what the 4 is selling for now.

Wait.

17. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Personally I'd buy 4S now and then buy the new one too. 4S is the best phone on the market by a million miles atm, and the new iPhone will just extend Apple's lead by another million miles. If you can't get both, then wait. Apple isn't going to sit on the launch of the new phone for too long having admitted the rumors are already damaging sales numbers in their most recent earnings call.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

In ten weeks will you be kicking yourself a lot or a little if you buy the 4S today.

19. Virinprew macrumors 6502

20. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

If you can demonstrate the personal discipline to wait, do so. When you get the latest/greatest tech, it will last you much longer and you will never feel like you should have waited.

Kinda reminds me of this old joke: There is an old bull and a young bull in a field, the young bull looks down and sees all the female cows and says "Wow old man! If we run down there we can ***k one of those cows!"

The old bull looks at the young bull and says "Son, if we WALK down there we can **** them all".

Point being, discipline now = longer satisfaction in the long run. Besides, if the new phone doesn't offer you anything that appeals to you, the 4S will reduce in price offering you a better deal for your money.

21. TurnTronics macrumors member

Personally, I would wait for the new iPhone to come out. If you are able to wait a few more months, you can have the latest and greatest.

If I was a betting man, I would guarantee you will want the iPhone 5 once it is released if you purchase the 4S ;)

22. Jarre macrumors newbie

The 5 certainly won't be any worse than a 4s, and if it is, i imagine the 4s will still be available for a cheaper price than it is currently!

I have a 4s 64gb at the minute and unless the 5 is something special when released, i'll be owning a galaxy s3!

23. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

Buy now! Buy now!

Whoops, sorry. I thought I was on e-Trades...

24. irDigital0l Guest

So instant or delayed gratification?

Wait and you'll probably feel better with the newer iPhone (and a better one).

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

At most you have three months to wait (most likely). If you do wait, and don't like the new phone, you save $100 on the 4S model of your choice. If you wait and you DO like the new phone, well, you obviously have the option to get the new phone instead.