Yes, Arnold, we hear you on your climate concerns.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Jun 2, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors regular

Because doing and saying are two different things...

[​IMG]

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They are concerned about your usage as one of the small people, not their own. Leading by example is for wimps.

3. Zenithal Suspended

That and his green Hummer had engine conversions to run biofuel. The green one runs on vegetable oil.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Can't blame the guy - he lives in Cali where it's likely he'll need that tank when the water starts climbing - or the zombie apocalypse

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

now that is some hyperbole there, zombie apocalypse yeah, water climbing due to the climate change hoax? nah, I'll take that beach front property and live out my days , hell my grand kids could enjoy it as well and not be "flooded" .

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Flash floods, landslides, earthquakes.... all great reasons to have a tank like him.

You aren't getting any beach front property. You're confusing a hypothetical with fact. Are you deliberately trying to become Trump?

8. Zenithal Suspended

Living in a beachfront house is fun at first, but it's not something people can do long term.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The ones he has are probably only there for the tax credits.

11. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, the solar panel to square feet ratio looks a little off ;)

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I count 15 commercial grade panels. Could be 30 consumer grade ones bolted into pairs... hard to tell from that pic.
    Regardless... that will generate enough to run 2 - 3 of his A/C units at best.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

But you started an entire thread about his car...nothing to say about the posts pointing out that his cars use electric and bi-fuel engines?

15. Zenithal Suspended

Pretty sure he sold that house off. Electricity bills are relative to what you use. It doesn't cost thousands to power a large home like that unless you leave every light on and are using incandescent all over.

16. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe Elon Musk can fly in some more solar panels to protect the environment, right?[​IMG] .

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Those solar panels don't power that house, sorry. Maybe his pool.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2017 ---
    Really? Have you ever seen the electricity bill on a 12-20k sq ft house in a hot area of the country?

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Mainly heating and cooling are you biggest costs.
    Surprised he didn't have solar hot water heaters on the roof somewhere. That's free hot water that can be stored in a thermally protected tank.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

he says it powers part of his house in the two year old article. Maybe he has more now. I have a lot less solar panels and you would be surprised how much power they generate.

20. Zenithal Suspended

It depends on the system, really. Also municipal electricity is popular in California. In some areas, you could run 60kWH a day for under $1.30.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2017 ---
    I've got two large ACs that run in unison during the summer. The biggest expense slash I had was when I changed out my exterior lighting to soft incandescent like CFL and then LED a year ago. I don't know what hot water heaters are or what a thermal tank is. Could I retrofit that on my pool? How does it work and how much does it cost?

21. samcraig macrumors P6

So just to be clear. We can rag on Arnold for taking advantage of tax credits - but Trump taking advantage means he's smart? I just want to know where that line is.

22. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Merely pointing out the hypocrisy. The mirage of being green.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

So you know everything Arnold does in an effort to keep green? Or is this a potshot because you found a picture of his car?

24. Zenithal Suspended

Yes. Large houses have climate cordoned areas here unless they were built a century ago. Large houses like that make use of materials to dissipate heat and minimize interior heat. High ceilings, marble tile or travertine for large main areas. Tinted windows that allow 60-70% light in and reflect a lot of UV rays. Thicker drywall and higher grade insulation is another. Use of energy efficient lighting. My home's about 6K sq feet and I've managed to reduce my bill from about $1K a month to just a couple hundred in a decade.

My summers regularly hit 95-98* daily averages, with multiple 105* days.

25. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

He's speaking out against Trump on social media. I was merely pointing out his hypocrisy. Also Elon Musk. The guy fly's around in a Gulf-stream jet, but wants to protect the environment? Yea right...:rolleyes: