Yes or No on Health Care Reform?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by adamvk, Mar 21, 2010.

?

Are you for universal health in America?

1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Simple question. Are you for, or against the universal health care?

I personally am. I think that it is great that the 32 million people in America without health care now will be able to get health care. It HAS worked well for Canada, contrary to popular belief.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

And Britain, Sweden, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, Japan, Italy, Australia, New Zealand...

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I know, but I thought a poll would be interesting to see. :)

Yes, those too. People just always compare "Obamacare" with Canada's plan.

4. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think it's unconscionable that the wealthiest, most prosperous nation not provide healthcare for everyone. So much of the opposition has been ideological rather than practical: the idea that we shouldn't provide care because people should work for it, or that we shouldn't tax the wealthy to support the poor, while the reality is that a universal system works better and saves money (the practical solution).

Obamacare is really quite unlike Canada's plan. More like Switzerland's, which is effective though more expensive per capita.

6. 184550 Guest

I believe that it is far from perfect but ultimately necessary.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not only has it worked in all those countries, each and every one of them holds it in very high esteem. And they've reason to given objective health outcome measures. It would be political suicide for a political party to even think about repealing it.

8. str1f3 macrumors 68000

It won't be repealed here either. Once the ignorant actually reap the benefits they'll protect it like they do Medicaid and manage to criticize the Dems for something else because they don't know any better. Life goes on.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think it's entirely fair to call them ignorant. There has been a very strong and well-funded campaign to spread as much FUD as possible about UHC. And a lot of straight out lies. People are rightfully hesitant to embrace such massive change in the face of this. Especially when it's their health at stake. It's hard to know who to trust with such partisan politicking in the US. At the end of the day the hard figures of how well it works in other developed countries and how much lower the costs are should be evidence enough.

As you say however now* they've got it they'll embrace it as a defining moment in their history. And like the rest of us with it criticise it mercilessly :).

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Welcome to civilisation, America! :)

...well, what passes for civilisation, anyway.

11. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Frankly I'm tired of parsing language. If they aren't knowledgeable to seek the truth, then that's what they are. I was even being nice and respectful by not just calling them stupid. I've seen videos of these people berating a man with Parkinson's and I've seen them calling Congressmen the n-word and spitting on them.

If they can't see past the lies and are actually protesting what benefits them, then they are well-deserving of the words I use. I do understand where you are coming from but sometimes a sheep needs to called a sheep.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

...and the list goes on. Any other developed country other than the US, really. But how could we really afford it? Our former illustrious leader, and the self-elected defender of freedom in our entire galaxy, made it clear that we will single-handedly defend the Axes of Evil. What could be more important than fighting the evil? How could we ever want to prioritize that over silly little things, such as an affordable access to healthcare services?

13. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

14. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Your thread is "Yes or No on Health Care Reform?" but your poll asks Yes or No on Universal Healthcare. They are not the same thing.

Yes on the reform but no on the universal healthcare.

edit: But not this reform that was just passed. I meant it needs reform in general. Just to be clear.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's be very clear here, we do not have universal healthcare and are a long way away from it. What we got was some half assed insurance reform with ridiculous mandates. That is hardly UHC.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

True.

I'll settle for the health care reform bill that was just passed. But really, UHC would've been much, much better.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Remember this is only the start. Any healthcare system has to be dynamic. What you've got now will evolve. The status quo shifts slowly.

18. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

No. I don't understand why people think the federal government will be able to provide something as complicated as Health Insurance to us when it can't even handle delivering our mail.:confused:

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please tell me what has changed for you and your health insurance since last night? This is no govt. takeover of health care. Congress passed a health insurance reform bill.

20. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Ask me that question a year from now and I'll be able to tell you what's changed. I am going to keep a very close eye on my premium costs and my medicare witholdings on my pay check.

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The Health Care reform bill that passed last night is not universal health care. It's on a small step down that road.

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I feel proud to be an American, and it has been a very, very long time since I felt this way. Anyway, thank you.