Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
OK. For those of you that wonder, "should I use a protector, or not.
I do, and for the first time Ive ever dropped my phone, it saved the screen.
I had my iPhone 4s on the arm rest of my recliner listening to a podcast.
I moved my arm to get something and barely bumped it. It fell between the couch and the recliner on a carpeted floor.
I didn't even hear it it fell so lightly. When I retrieved it, my heart sank.
This big crack, gash/scratch on the screen.

I peeled the protector.....whola! SCREEN SAVED!!!
It looks much worse on the phone than on the computer desk.
It actually almost gashed all the way through.
It's deep! It would have shattered the screen
It hit the floor and rolled over against the sharp steel bracket under the recliner. I didnt even know that was under there.
I never ever drop phones. But **** happens and these much debated protectors saved my phone.
Also, it's the cheap $15 3pack from Verizon. Other than the finger prints, you can't even tell when it's on.
The phone screen with its coating is much better, but I'll suffer the prints to save the screen.
Guys, ladies......use protectors. It's not worth the risk LOL! :eek:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 628

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I have insurance for my iPhone. It covers accidental damage. If i scratch it badly or drop it on concrete it gets replaced within 24 hours.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
ever consider that the screen protector itself is a lot more scratch-prone than the screen? just because the protector got dinged up doesnt mean the screen would.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's deep! It would have shattered the screen

I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to believe that a force that would have shattered the glass was somehow absorbed by a thin sheet of plastic.

It's nice that your phone was ok, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it would have survived this fall without the screen protector.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Right, tell that to all the people who have scratches from not dropping their phones and being careful with them, there are plenty.

Some people don't care about scratches, so thus they aren't necessary.
Additionally, not everyone without screen protectors has scratches.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Some people don't care about scratches, so thus they aren't necessary.
Additionally, not everyone without screen protectors has scratches.

Are not necessary to you. People not caring about scratches on their screen are in the minority by far. And yeah, some people who have played Russian Roulette are still alive.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Are not necessary to you. People not caring about scratches on their screen are in the minority by far. And yeah, some people who have played Russian Roulette are still alive.

I'm one. No screen protector, no scratches - just a slip case.

Oh, and the last time I played Russian Roulette, I won.:D

(The metaphor was a teeny bit over the top, don't you think? :rolleyes:)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm OCD (nice way of saying anal) about my phone. Everything aside from the camera and flash is cover and has a case.

I'm not really concern about a broken phone but the insane hassle of getting it replaced near instantly. I need my phone on me 24/7 for work. Waiting over night for some place to open in the morning can be an issue.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I
have owned
three iPhones
none of which I
have used screen
on, all of which I've
dropped multiple
times on every
thing from
carpet
to concrete
and beyond small
scratchs (which really
just show that you actually
use your phone) they are all
in pristine condition. I guess if
it keeps me from typing like
this I'll keep doing it.

Also, what's the need to use LOL as punctuation?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'm OCD (nice way of saying anal) about my phone. Everything aside from the camera and flash is cover and has a case.

I'm not really concern about a broken phone but the insane hassle of getting it replaced near instantly. I need my phone on me 24/7 for work. Waiting over night for some place to open in the morning can be an issue.

You'll get eaten by the OCD people for saying your OCD if your not really OCD :eek:

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I
have owned
three iPhones
none of which I
have used screen
on, all of which I've
dropped multiple
times on every
thing from
carpet
to concrete
and beyond small
scratchs (which really
just show that you actually
use your phone) they are all
in pristine condition. I guess if
it keeps me from typing like
this I'll keep doing it.

Also, what's the need to use LOL as punctuation?

I thought I was reading a poem there for a minute.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
It fell between the couch and the recliner on a carpeted floor.
I didn't even hear it it fell so lightly. When I retrieved it, my heart sank.
This big crack, gash/scratch on the screen.

I want to make sure I got this right.
If fell so lightly, onto a soft carpeted floor, so softly that you couldn't even hear it.
Yet, you believe that created a huge scratch on it. And that only your thin flimsy piece of plastic saved it from shattering?

Is this correct?

What in the hell kind of carpet do you have that so soft you can't hear anything hitting it, but still scratches gorilla glass?

simply amazing

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
I want to make sure I got this right.
If fell so lightly, onto a soft carpeted floor, so softly that you couldn't even hear it.
Yet, you believe that created a huge scratch on it. And that only your thin flimsy piece of plastic saved it from shattering?

Is this correct?

What in the hell kind of carpet do you have that so soft you can't hear anything hitting it, but still scratches gorilla glass?
sounds like a concrete carpet to me

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
So it looks like you took the protector off and then took a pic? That looks like a hair rather than a scratch.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

My point is that you do not NEED a screen protector to use the phone. You can still use one if you like, but do you NEED it? Absolutely not. It is not necessary.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
My point is that you do not NEED a screen protector to use the phone. You can still use one if you like, but do you NEED it? Absolutely not. It is not necessary.

Don't need hearing protection to use a gun.
Don't need a helmet to play football.
Don't need doors, hood, windsheild, or seatbelts to drive a car.

Don't need more than a 3 second fuse when lighting dynamite.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Don't need hearing protection to use a gun.
Don't need a helmet to play football.
Don't need doors, hood, windsheild, or seatbelts to drive a car.

Don't need more than a 3 second fuse when lighting dynamite.

Not going to keep arguing with you about this, but millions of people use their iPhones without a screen protector. Not using a screen protector will not kill you unlike your examples. You want to compare apple with oranges, well have fun.

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
I can never apply them to my satisfaction, I always end up with bubbles or dust, so after several attempts and several protectors, I just gave up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.