Yes Virginia, there's already a wall...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewitt, Jun 30, 2016.

1. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I travel to Mexico on business regularly, and had the opportunity recently to drive across the border with a coworker who is a flaming liberal.

This was her first time in Mexico, and she was astonished to discover there is actually a wall separating Mexico and the US in or near populated areas.

Her initial reaction was, "How come we've already started building Trump's wall? He's not the President yet."

I 'splained it to her. Slowly. Had to repeat myself more than once.

We crossed the border into Mexico without showing any documents, and she asked where the border crossing and immigration was. I had to explain that Mexico doesn't stop anyone from the US crossing the border. It's open in this direction, with a quick visual as we pass by. No stopping. No paperwork.

"Anyone can just come here? No ID or passport needed?" She asked, eyes wide.

"Yes," I 'splained again. "They have an open border policy."

We spent several days in Mexicali, where we witnessed armored vehicles traveling the streets in caravans, cars with their windows smashed out parked alongside the main roads during the day, and were told by our hosts not to leave the hotel to go exploring without a local guide to keep us away from the bad areas or restaurants.

When we left, the border crossing was quick and painless. The guard took our passports, checked that everyone in the car matched their picture, and we were back in the US.

She was quiet most of the way to San Diego, when she finally asked me, "When will the rest of the wall be finished, and will they build that one in town up higher?"

"I thought you were all for an open border with Mexico. What changed?"

"No one would live back there by choice," she said quietly, "and I don't want all those hoodlums coming here."

"Voting for Trump are you?" I asked.

No reply.

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

Of course this happened. All of it. I believe you.

3. thewitt thread starter macrumors 68020

thewitt

Makes no difference to me if you believe me or not.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

You are lying!

Why would they need armored cars in mexico?
    Everybody knows they have strict gun control and that's why nobody ever gets shot in mexico.

And mexico doesn't send rapists and murderers. They only send their best and brightest. That's why there are no hispanic gangs in the southland.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It sounds like a Paul Harvey story, as imagined by Joseph Goebbels.

6. Robisan macrumors 6502

ROTFLMAO! Post of the day.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

They don't "send" anyone. You do realize that along with those gang members (many of which happen to have been born in the U.S.) that mother's and father's with children in tow come over that border too, right? Here I will illustrate:

image.jpeg

Although, I have to say I like this following one better. More eye catching. :D

image.jpeg

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, you better pay attention to Mexico. History has shown when two disparate nations border each other, the equilibrium is always towards the crappier one. Instead of fighting expensive wars in the ME, we should be investing in Mexicos quest to become a 1st world nation. Investment, some SF deployment...border problem solved.

9. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

so basically you're telling us you work with morons?

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Monterrey, Mexico. Just on the other side of the border with Texas.

Now Mexico does have it's share of problems. Some of them pretty severe. But it's not the untermenschen plagued 3rd world hellhole Witt's describing it as.

Though I love how his story paints The Liberal as some naïve child, wide-eyed at the discovery of the horrors of the real world. Good thing Daddy Witt was there to show you the errors of your ways, right, doll?

...so creepy.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Not a hell hole? Why are millions trying to get out?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

More people are going home to Mexico than are coming from there. Where were these millions you speak of?

13. 617aircav Suspended

The millions of Mexican citizens that have emigrated to the US.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You should have shown her the majority of Mexicans that work legally for a living everyday. Go to parks, clubs, schools, markets, and etc. JUST LIKE THE USA :eek:

I'm not saying Mexico is land of the prosperous and financially sound. That country has it's problems. But the picture you paint is a stereotypical generalization. It's like judging the entire Chicago based on West Englewood.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very interesting thread. Now I know what these conservative SJWs do when they're not scoping out the poor buying surf and turf on their EBT cards and driving home in their new Lexus.

16. Cox Orange, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I am wondering where the people (I mean "white americans", as you use the term), that live in similar areas in the US do leave. Do they leave to Canada or do they think it can't get better, so we can stay here anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2016 ---
    To me it sounded like the typical european clichee of Americans still having a mind of a child looking at the world with astonishment with eyes wide open, despite their higher education based on which you would expect such stuff would not come out of the mouth from somone who graduated.

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Yeah, you better done that 'splaining slow, them liberals have a hard time 'nderstanding things and all.

18. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

The sister of my american sister in law was on vacation in mexico and she was pregnant and had to go to hospital there and had one of her best hospital experiences in her life, so far. (But, well, so much for anecdotes).

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Right you posted it for your own amusement.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

All that was left out were the pats on the leg and comfort hugs.

21. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I guess we are supposed to be shocked that someone dumb enough to not know that we have a border fence fell into
    @thewitt 's fear of a Brown planet almost immediately. Color me unsurprised. This is your basic Trump supporter.

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I wonder what OP expected to gain from this thread.

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

brownie points

24. thermodynamic, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

And Mexico's people are far more educated and Mexico's economy is much much better than the US since Hershey, Oreo, Ford, Carrier, and other companies have been quick to set up shop over there!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2016 ---
    The "real world" is what we make of it. Sorry that you want it to be such a cesspool, is that what you're trying to convey? But then, even the Beatles (George Martin), when visiting Haight-Ashbury, thought it a cesspool full of drugged up bums as well. Shame he, treated as a deity by the high, didn't inform his creation that drugs were bad as opposed to saying "no thanks" and vamoosing as far away from his great society that he helped (directly) create...

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/08/07/george-harrison-visits-haight-ashbury-san-francisco/

At least he's not like other bands' members, who ever more loudly and directly glorified drug use but then blamed their followers as opposed to apologizing, but these ARE baby boomers, you know... Most, hippies or otherwise, seem to have no sense of humbleness or humility or thinking they ever do any wrong. :( That's what X'ers and Millennials seemed to have picked up.

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

No band members glorified drug use. They were asked if they had taken drugs and they responded yes. That's not glorifying drug use. It's up to the journalists or reporters to actually go public with that information. No Beatle made the announcement "hey kids go all take drugs after school" give me a break