Yesterday's announcements - what do they mean for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Silofolous, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Silofolous macrumors member

Title pretty much says it.

iBooks 2 allows for textbooks on iPad, but as far as I can see, not iPhone.

iBooks Author gives people the ability to create books and view them on an iPad, but as far as I can see, not the iPhone.

Why has iBooks been upgraded for iPhone? Is there something that I'm not seeing?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iBooks on the iPhone got updated because the App is Universal, how can the same app get an update to 2.0 on the iPad but remain 1.x on the iPhone?

Thursday's announcement meant nothing for the iPhone.

3. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

If you read the descriptors in the App Store, it works on both the iPad and the iPhone (iBooks 2). iTunes U is also universal and will work on the iPad and the iPhone. I did update iBooks and downloaded iTunes U. I haven't had enough time to work my way through both, however I do see it difficult to get to the Textbook category on the iPhone. Not sure why, but that is what I see. I was able to see content from iTunes U on the phone.

In my opinion, I don't think a lot of people would be doing textbook work on the phone, but that may be because my eyes aren't that good!

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

After thinking about it, I agree that people won't be doing textbook work on the iPhone but just like Pages on the iPhone, it might be good for last minute edits/review.

But Textbooks don't translate well on a a 3.5" screen.

5. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone attempt to read a book on a 3.5in screen?

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

So guys, please bare with me here. What happens if I only have an iPhone and I update my iBooks app and buy McPearson Biology from iBookStore?

Can I still read it? But I won't be able to watch interactive contents? No video? Animated section? Just plain old books like regular iBooks?

7. jj48 macrumors regular

Most textbooks won't translate to 3.5" well, but I think your statement is too broad. Considering there are many people who do light reading on their iPhone and also many actual books that come in under that size (granted not novels) I think there are plenty of situations when someone might read for a short time on their iPhone.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I don't think that it would be visible on your iPhone at all.