Yet Another 2.0 Speaker Recommendation Thread™ ($50-80 edition)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dolphin842, Jan 17, 2011.

1. dolphin842, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Hi all,

So after reviewing about 5 or 6 previous threads about 2.0 speakers, I'm still rather uncertain about what to get. Hopefully some parameters specific to my situation will help:

- I currently have the original JBL Duets, but the speaker cable is getting frayed after 6 years of use. If I can get a new pair of speakers that sound as good as these and have a Line In, I'll be happy.

- Budget is roughly the same as the Duets ($50-80).

- Speakers in this range I have identified are the Hercules XPS 30, Creative Inspire T10, and Creative T12.

- So far I have tried the Logitech X-140's and was totally disappointed... they didn't sound nearly as good as the Duets.

- The only 'monitors' I've found that are remotely within my price range are the Behringer MS16's and M-Audio AV30's (and even then at $100 for the M-Audios it's stretching the budget).

So... here's where I need your help. 1) Are the Hercules or Creatives going to give me the same quality as the JBL Duets? 2) Are there any other speakers in the $50-80 range that I missed? Just going by reviews, it seems the like the Behringers offer the best quality for the money ($60-80 depending on retailer), so if anyone has direct experience with those, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

2. dolphin842 thread starter macrumors 65816

After digging through reviews all night, I decided to grab the Behringers, which are on sale for $59 at B&H. I'll chime in once I've had some time to use them and let everyone know how they are!