Yet another college thread, feel sorry for tomorrow's kids?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 26, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

https://ivycoach.com/content/uploads/2011/07/College-Tuition-Costs.jpg

https://www.ivycoach.com/the-ivy-coach-blog/ivy-league/ivy-league-debts/
    (since the time of that article the average debt is over $35,000)

And yet people keep saying how college money is free from the government -- no, the only thing that's free is the use of that word in FAFSA. If it were free money then all that student loan debt would have been forgiven instead of making more albatrosses for people to carry.

Companies want people with higher degrees nowadays, which explains both the phrase "a college degree is the new high school diploma" and why costs are through the roof and then some. The value placed on the degree is higher so, via the law of supply and demand (and no competition against college degrees as such certainly does not help, neither had the great recession which was an impetus behind more, many more, going back for reeducation), of course prices are skyrocketing but then we call all the people who go back to college "lazy", for which we say they are all millennials but anyone who has gone back for retraining for a new career (inevitable in the pro-family gig economy) will see that "millennial" must mean "anyone between 18 and 60". But try getting a job without a recent or relevant degree before saying a single word, even if your situation is one of the lucky "exceptions to the rule".

I would also recommend the field of acting. Actors get paid more to play characters who do STEM work than STEM workers themselves. Far more. Go where the money is, I suppose.

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Are employers at least done demanding a college degree for a job that clearly doesn't require one? One of the biggest group think scams on the planet, and one that not enough people question.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Have a feeling that's just another filter, like please wear shirt and shoes to interview. I mean how does it take a college degree to stock shelves in a clothing shop, and yet there are companies who now only want to hire majors in retail fashion for those jobs... why, to keep a line of applicants for a stock clerk's job from blocking access to the deli next door? A requirement like that is a good reason for jacking up minimum wage. They want college grads? Let them pay like they mean it.

4. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I feel more sorry for people who have to deal with todays college students than for college students.

We have an intern over for a few months and aparently one of the people he is over with was complaining about having to wash his clothes because in his university dorms they have maids that clean up and wash your clothes. No wonder university costs so much in the US.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Now this is extraordinarily disingenuous. Most actors are struggling compared to most STEM grads. Get a grip man.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hillary is going to clear everyone's debts, or wait, was that only for new people going to college? So people paying off their loans are also going to pay taxes to pay off other people's free school? Sounds legit.

7. stroked Suspended

stroked

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think it’s a form of the good ol’ boys club. They had to suffer through and pay for it so now so should everybody else if they want to be deemed worthy. It builds character and prepares you for life. You know what else builds character? Surviving cancer, and a cancer survivor is probably more motivated and prepared for life and challenges than your average young college graduate.

It’s absurd when you think of human history and the things accomplished by a largely undereducated populous but now that we have instant access to all knowledge in our pocket we’re ramping up the pressure insisting you have to have a ludicrously expensive piece of paper certifying you completed a four year cookie cutter sentence or your future is screwed. It’s a dated tradition that seriously needs to be reexamined.

Of course I’m excluding highly specific technical careers, but the vast majority of people are going to end up just being a cog in the machine or generic middle management at best.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sort of. They have been lied to their entire educational lives. "You have to go to college." "You have to get a degree, any degree."

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I have a friend who got a degree in something like Anthropology and most of his jobs after college have been phone tech support and last I heard he was doing assembly line work.

It’s not just people being told they can get any degree but also employers accepting any degree. It’s unbelievable to me how long it’s been proven that a college education doesn’t make somebody a better employee and yet nobody wants to let go of that gold standard. The qualities I have as a good employee have nothing to do with my education level and were instilled in me early in life.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The points in your post are well taken but there are still some aspects of that degree worth considering (and may even have figured into how your friend got his jobs, even though the major (or the degree itself) may not seem especially relevant to the types of work he has been doing.

Part of the reason employers want a college degree is that unlike k-12 education (or at least k-10... k-8?) college is theoretically an entirely voluntary pursuit and finishing a four-year stint with a degree --yes a degree in anthropology counts!-- is indicative of some stick-to-it capabilities.

Past that if you've graduated college then you've probably been forced to acquire better writing skills than you had when you left high school. Being able to organize your thoughts is a skill. It doesn't matter if you organized them around anthropology or the history of opera; if you can do that then you can produce a comprehensible project report on the job. Lack of ability to communicate effectively is feedback from industry to academia, and is a part of why STEM majors may now have a few more required courses in a humanities area.

We live in a time of distractive social media and have been enduring (barely?) a general caving in of American society towards passively being entertained instead of actively pursuing some other avocation during leisure hours. Our own parents may not have been especially great role models in this regard. The increasingly brutal jobs market (i.e., two parents, five jobs?) can translate into coming home and zoning out in front of a TV or computer screen. In a lot of cases that can be understandable, but it's still self-shortchanging and a terrible example to the next generation.

Zoning out is an endorsement of passive reaction to the immediate environment instead of more focused pursuits like woodworking or kayaking or learning how to write haiku or whatever... anything but leaving your brain to the reductive minimum of making sure you're still breathing.

So in trying to measure a prospective employee's ability to stick to anything for more than a month or two, it's possible for an employer to give credit where credit is due to someone who finishes college, even if the guy's major is not directly linked to skills the employer seeks for a particular position.

In the chit chat of what your interests are, an employer also finds out if you're the type to just sit in front of the tube, or more likely to be into some DIY project or a skilled avocation like playing a musical instrument and hanging out with a band or a chamber group. What you do with your spare time gives an employer a clue if you're almost a zombie or maybe a go getter. If you seem like you're the latter category, then he may be willing to train you in some specific skills that you lack.

13. Chew Toy McCoy, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

There’s too much weight put on the theoretical. It’s not news our entire education system needs to be revamped, especially with all the one size fits all experiments, but there is something severely wrong with the system if you need to tag on 4 more years of expensive education just to theoretically prove you’re not an unreliable idiot. Honestly I think an employer could get a better picture of you if they also interviewed your parents.

The level of distraction and entertainment we all have to endure is an entire other (distracting) topic that I think also needs to be considered and compensated for, but probably won’t be (because we’re too distracted) and we’ll just continue with the centuries’ old education and career path agenda.

14. stroked Suspended

stroked

The feds shouldn't have anything to do with any education, other than military schools.