Yet another mass shooting - Navy Yard Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mrkramer, Sep 16, 2013.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Haven't seen this posted here yet, but it looks like we had another mass shooting in DC this time.

Link

I'm just wondering how many more times things like this have to happen and how many more people have to die before there becomes the political will to do something about guns on a national level. And for the people who want to point out that DC already has fairly strict gun laws, it is still quite easy to go to another state buy a weapon and then drive it to DC or any state as there are no checks going across state borders.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The right will never admit that guns are the problem.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I agree. We should take all automobiles off the road immediately. More people die in them than from gun crime. How many more accidents have to happen and how many more people have to die before there becomes the political will to do something about automobiles on a national level?

5. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Restricting guns is not the solution! Obviously someone could've also killed 12 people at a Navy Seal base with a knife. :p

6. chabig macrumors 68040

...and deaths from smoking too! How many people have to die from smoking before there becomes the political will to do something on a national level?

7. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

So you agree that getting guns should be as restrictive as getting a driving permit?

And also have all the safety requirements on guns as we do on cars?

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well get up and amend the constitution.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

Would you care to comment or are you just going to ask questions?

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Do we know who the shooters are yet? Where they in the navy or outsiders?

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Looks like this shooting just threw the NRA's "good guys with guns" garbage right out the window.

Heavily guarded military facility that had plenty of "good guys with guns", yet there are still 12 people dead.

When will the other half of this country wake up and acknowledge that guns are a major problem?

34 year old guy from Texas who was apparently a civilian contractor. Don't quote me on that though because the media is probably wrong like they usually are.

13. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Well getting a drivers license requires people to through tests and the automobile industry has severe safety regulations.

Since you're comparing cars and guns, I'm just assuming that you agreee that gun owners should go through similar tests and gun manufacturers should have have severe safety regulations when making their guns.

----------

Does someone know if that base is a gun-free zone?

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's not according to the news. It's guarded and the news is reporting that "many people are authorized to carry firearms."

One of the two other possible "suspects" that were reported was cleared as he was some type of military/law enforcement official who was responding to the shooting.

15. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

We don't even know all the facts and the gun grabber-nuts are already salivating.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

All military bases are gun-free with the exception of the Military Police.

That's not to say there aren't gun's locked away but you can't carry a firearm on a base unless you are a cop.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In wake of this recent mass-casualty shooting, it is important that we all respect the feelings of America's gun enthusiasts. Observing a few simple rules of etiquette will help the post-shooting conversation to proceed in appropriate ways.

It is "ghoulish" to suggest in any way that the easy availability of guns might in any way enable gun slaughter.

Gun crime in the president's hometown proves that guns anywhere else are no fit topic of conversation.

All gun owners are to be complimented as responsible & law-abiding until they have hurt themselves or somebody else.

Any attempt to stop mass casualty shootings is "political." Allowing them to continue is"non-political."

Gun ownership is essential to freedom, as in Serbia & Guatemala. Gun restrictions lead to tyranny, as in Australia & Canada.

From David Frum.

18. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

do you have a source for that "Heavily guarded" claim?

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Looks the the right wing denial will never end.

20. bradl, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And with this, I already see this thread going to the wasteland. How about contributing something positive to the thread?

For example, as mentioned before, how does this meld with the "only people to stop bad guys with guns are good guys with guns"? Keep in mind that you had to have security clearance just to even enter the yard, let alone the buildings involved. When I worked for the DoD, my clearance wasn't even enough to get into the Navy yard, and I was unarmed.

Could you say the same?

I wonder if this is going to parallel Hasan and Ft. Hood, with the exception of that one suspect is already dead.

BL.

21. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Exactly why do we needs facts and logic when we have emotion.

22. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

We have done lots to cut down vehicle accidents, including putting in lots of regulations for safety on the vehicle manufacturers and lots of requirements for training before you can get a drivers license. I'm assuming that you are advocating that we require a license to own a gun, like for a vehicle, require it to be registered, and require safety training before you can get that license? Because if you are then you are in the minority of the NRA/right wing gun nuts since most of them want no restrictions.

That is one thing that I was thinking when I first saw the headline, I was wondering if the fact that we let Hassan off with exactly what he wanted had already inspired someone to copy him. However I haven't seen any evidence that that is the case from the information we have so far.

23. appleisking macrumors 6502a

If it's a military facility, there are armed guards. I find this troubling. Doesn't look like the excuse, someone will stop the shooter before he kills too many people, holds if he managed to kill 12 in a military facility before he was stopped. Looks like more guns certainly isn't going to solve the problem.

----------

Automobiles are not by nature lethal. It's also a lot easier and cheaper to acquire a firearm in the U.S than an automobile. Then again the automobile industry is also ten times as regulated as the gun industry. Can you imagine what would happen if we deregulate automobiles to the point of guns. Chaos.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

AP just reported this as well. So I seriously doubt we'll see a 'side switcher' like Hasan.

BL.