Yet another 'out of control gov't' thread: Teenage rapper jailed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by classicaliberal, May 22, 2013.

1. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Further evidence that society's desire for 'big government' to protect us, to offer security>liberty, to prop up the nanny state, the welfare state, and the warfare state... has all led to the the citizenry losing their freedoms.

When a HS kid can go to jail for month, under threat of 20 years in prison, because of a simply lyric he/she posted to Facebook... there's something wrong.

Government is spiraling out of control - has been for a long time now.

What will you do to stop it? Or don't you see any issue with that gov't officials did in this case?

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.co...olicyjournal/YZSb+(EconomicPolicyJournal.com)

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

This has nothing to do with big goverment, nanny states or any other such nonsense....

This is just the result of paranoia and fearmongering, pretty much the same that happened during the witchhunts of the 17th century or the reign of senator McCarthy.

Unless you want to argue that the colonies at that time had "big gov't" and a nanny state....

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Haven't had a chance to research this yet but the first link I went to had this, which your story conveniently left out.

That said, there's no doubt we've gone off the deep end since 9/11.

You might want to ask the mods to sticky this for you. :rolleyes:

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Was your only purpose in joining MR to spam PRSI with your political agenda?

5. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

The 'big' I speak of has less to do with dollars and cents, and more to do with the authority said government claims over the sovereign individual. It has more to do with the power it claims, and the liberties/freedoms it strips from the citizenry.

ex. Canada might have a federal budget 100x that of Cuba (not actual numbers), but Cuba might have much tighter controls on what people can do, what they can't do, if they can start businesses, the rate at which they tax, and so on and so forth. In this context, Cuba's government is 'bigger'.

I understand where the confusion comes in... high government revenues can indicate oppressive taxation, which can be a good indicator of an oppressive (big) government. But it's only one component.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Can you post this as a rap?

7. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Rap lyrics? A HS student posted controversial rap lyrics to FB... that's your point? That's why he should be in jail for 3 month with the threat of 20 years of imprisonment?

Just checking.

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Again, I ask you wether you think 17th century colonies had big goverment (was never talking bout money here) or even a nanny state ?

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Rapp song. It was a Rapp song.

10. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Maybe if it was a conservative in office currently, you'd be willing to help me compose the rap?

But alas, it's your guy in office now, so we'll have to wait a few years before the bongo drum liberals will support at least one component of the cause of liberty.

Liberals don't care about gov't oppression when they're in power, the conservatives dont' care about oppression when they're in power. There are relatively few consistent pro-liberty politicians and citizens in this country unfortunately.

When will the world stop rooting for their team long enough to realize the winner's trophy is simply the winner's ability to CONTROL the populous (limit freedom) in the way they see fit.

11. .Andy, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm as bad at rhyming as I am at posting bomb threats on Facebook. You don't want me in your Libertarian crew.

A quick google shows there was quite a bit that is being left out. Including a recent episode where the individual in question was arrested for allegedly threatening to stab his sister.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I forget, what is your preferred government run by whom?

CL has a desire to lump everything into his perception of nice little packages. Such as including security with nanny, welfare state, lol.

13. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Off-topic. But a constitutional government run by people who put liberty and the citizens' freedom above everything else would be a good start.

I lump anti-liberty people together. The right vs. left paradigm is broken, and rarely helpful. There are people in this world (the majority) who seek to limit freedom... they do it by claiming the government needs to save us from teenage rapper terrorists, save us from the food companies, the insurance companies, the hospitals, from same sex love...

What they really mean, is that they want to save us from ourselves. We, the citizens, are too damn stupid to take care of ourselves. We can't possibly know what insurance company to choose, or how to pick a good hospital, we can't possibly choose to drink a big gulp instead of a 6oz. orange juice, or to marry Sammy instead of Sally... No, we have to be herded like cattle. We need the almighty brilliant politicians to tell us how to live, how to love, and how to be. We can't even be trusted with our own money. The government feels compelled to take away half of what we earn... half the hours in our life... to fund their pet projects and favorite programs.

You're right, I don't lump people the way you do... I don't love the elephant and donkey paradigm the media keeps feeding you on a daily basis. I see evil everywhere, on both sides. I see people trying to take your freedom, and I actually say something about it.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So based on what I've seen so far, unless the cops have evidence this kid intends or intended to turn his words into actions, there's no reason for him to be languishing in jail. How long did Ted Nugent spend in jail after threatening to put a machine gun in a public official's mouth? Exactly.

And if you're a kid posting that **** on FB, you need to realize you're likely to draw legal attention to yourself. And posting to FB while you should be in school? Not smart.

15. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Governing by soundbite has now stretched to thinking by soundbite..

----------

When the government perceives you a threat to the state than can hold you indefinitely on suspicion.

The Patriot Act and it's follow on executive orders are the symbol of bad government.

16. iMikeT macrumors 68020

This thread gives me an idea on who stole my roll of Reynold's aluminum foil.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Never never never use aluminum foil, it has an amplifying effect that will drive you deeper into psychosis and paranoia. Only use tin foil, if you can find it.

18. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Fascinating how so many on the left lose their fear of government authority when there's a liberal in the whitehouse. They stop protesting the wars, they stop giving a damn where we send soldiers and planes, they stop pushing hard on Guantanamo... and of course they stop caring about overreach in organizations like Homeland Security and the FBI as this proves.

Nope, everything is fine now, we have 'our guy' in the White House!

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Which wars? You mean the War in Iraq that President Obama already ended?

Or the War in Afghanistan that we are in the process of withdrawing from now and will be over by the end of next year?

I must have missed where we invaded another sovereign nation like we did in Iraq and Afghanistan. Sending a few Air Force planes to support NATO & UN actions in Libya & Syria hardly qualify as invading another country and starting another war.

Obama & the democrats have tried numerous times since his election to close Guantanamo but they have been met with republican opposition and obstruction every time.

I suppose if you look at this one article in a bubble and ignore context around it might seem that way, but this kid has been arrested twice in the past year before this, once for threatening to stab and murder his sister, and another for assault and battery. You conveniently left out those facts because they don't help your crazy argument.

Your act is getting old.

20. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Gotta love those "wars" with an expiration date.

Michaels

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's the timeframe for removing the rest of our combat troops, which is usually the date that people consider the war to be over.

22. Tinmania, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2013

Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Uh huh.

Michael

23. zioxide, May 23, 2013

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So would you rather occupy a sovereign nation indefinitely?

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The OP's topics lately do seem to trend towards repetitive pamphleteering for his peculiar brand of liberalism.

25. Tinmania, May 23, 2013

Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Why the heck are we occupying it now? Absurd. Bush was wrong. Obama was and is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Michael