Yet another shooting in Usa-this time inside a Walmart store

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FatherJack1980, Nov 2, 2017.

1. FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Do you realize that Australia has less population than Texas only? And it has no true borders for smuggling ? And no second amendment ?

3. FatherJack1980 thread starter macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

*facepalm*

Ah yes, another country successfully did it and thus it's not possible for the United States to do it.

I wonder if that excuse was used at the time in Australia - quite a few excuses were thrown around at the time, because many Australians were so much morons they didn't want that gun control

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Have I said not possible? I believe that anything is possible. It’s just much more difficult. Doing the very same thing Australia did is virtually impossible here for many reason. It would certainly require, among other things, a constitutional amendment.
    And before you say something - I do not like, own, or ever held a gun.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

1) he won't be called an animal by Trump if he's white.
    2) We shouldn't politicize this incident
    3) It's too soon to talk about gun control.

6. Tomorrow, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2017

Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think the biggest reason it's not possible is because most people in the United States don't want to do it.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

4) It must have been one of those “gun-free” zones.

8. 0007776 Suspended

Who cares? It happens all the time and no one with power to do anything wants to do anything about it.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

More than twice as many people got ran over by a Home Depot Truck. So while I believe in some stricter gun regulations, Aussie style gun laws will just further fuel the black market.

Everyone is concern about how easy it was for mass killer to legally get a weapon. But anyone can also illegally get a weapon. Most mass killers just go the legal route because it's cheaper.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Good. So at the very least, you agree a ban would prevent would-be mass killers that can't afford to shop in the black market.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Population (million)
    Texas—27.86
    Australia—24.13

Total Firearm Deaths
    Texas—3,203
    Australia—211

Total Firearm Death Rate
    Texas—11.7
    Australia—0.93

https://www.google.com/search?sourc.....0...1.2.64.psy-ab..1.1.72.0...0.smVqO6k5JGA
    https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+population&oq=texas+population&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3588j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/texas/texas.htm
    http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Most don't want to do what?

There's plenty of support for more restriction.

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.12.42 AM.png

http://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Well, being that the Vegas shoot was rich. It was probably easier to go the legal route versus meeting some gangbanging arms dealer behind an alley.

I believe in restrictions that makes sense. To be able to have enough options to defend yourself, but not enough to start a mini war.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Again, interesting data. Thanks for sharing.
    We should probably define “gun restriction” a bit more, because it can be interpreted in two million ways.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's the thing about a country like America - if we want something to happen, we can make it happen. Either by voting for it, or voting for people who will vote for it. Curiously, neither has taken place on a large enough scale.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Because religion, race, and financial class divides us. Even when we have a common goal, voters let what I mentioned skew their decision.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

We can't vote for it, that's part of the problem. There are no federal ballot initiatives. We can't ever vote on laws directly at the federal level. Many have called for this to change. Not surprisingly, the NRA has lobbied against federal ballot initiatives for the obvious reason that it would likely result in stricter gun control.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Now before I hear “a good guy with a gun would have stopped this”. It was a freaking Walmart. I assume everyone in the store was packing heat.

19. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

That's not a Walmart. It's a Target.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well it was last night.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Like that wall?

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Odd statement Yax, the first bit about population is true, the second is false (you probably meant land borders) , Auz has to contend with smuggling all the time from Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. As for the 2A thing... don't the victims have rights too?

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Yes, I meant land borders. Yours is a very good correction, thank you.

Unfortunately, 2A doesn’t give any right to victims, at least not in the sense of gun control. With the exception of another amendment I don’t think that the feds have enough jurisdiction to propose serious gun control legislation. And I don’t see all the 50 states magically decide for total gun control (which, would also be unconstitutional due to the 2A), which means that even if this or that state decide to go for some meaningful gun control the black market will flourish as it never did.

24. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I go to a local Walmart because they have the best beer prices. The number 1 killer of shoppers will be cardiac arrest or diabetes.