Yet Another Suicide for a Foxconn iPhone Worker

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rahul247rocks, Jun 14, 2012.

1. rahul247rocks macrumors member

rahul247rocks

When I heard the news from Huffington Post I was so saddened. Another Suicide today (14.6.2012). It seems things at Foxconn Plant is not improving. I feel really sad when poeple die an we are enjoying all these displays and showing it off with friends and families. What do you guys thin? What is wrong with Foxconn? How can this be improved. Will Apple suffer..should they start thinking about a new plant with better working facilities.

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I feel sorry for the kids starving in 3rd world countries even more so.

[​IMG]

At least the people at foxconn had a job and food.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I don't know why this is all on Apple or if there is anymore than need to do. Foxconn makes products for TONS of companies, not just Apple. It's unfortunate, but you can't blame Apple.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Is this really the right place to be posting this? :confused:

5. rahul247rocks thread starter macrumors member

rahul247rocks

All the suicide committed on Foxconn were people working on Apple products. That is where the whole problem began.

6. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I don't care in the slightest. People jump from buildings for a variety of reasons, the most prominent being mental instability. I always hope they at least do it before procreating.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

8. Fynd, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  9. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Really? The last big group to threaten suicide were working on XBoxes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-threaten-mass-suicide-over-xbox-pay-dispute/

And that was a group. Who knows why this one person took their own life, while yes it could have been work related, but it could have been more personal. Either way, Ohio State University's suicide rate is higher than Foxconn's, so should Apple deal with that too, since Apple laptops are used by a large number of students.

(Tho, I find the linked article greatly amusing, since the story is about XBox workers, but the image has them holding giant iPads.)

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- that's because his liver is swollen from malnutrition. That happens quite a bit in these cases.

11. 184550 Guest

I was about to point out the same.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The suicide rate inside of Foxconn is still lower than it is outside of Foxconn.

The most recent numbers I just dug up appear to show that the suicide rate in the US (in 2006) was close to 7x larger than it was at Foxconn during their worst year.

So when you say "improved," what do you mean? Having a much better record than the U.S. itself apparently isn't good enough? What would be?

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

People kill themselves everyday, some probably have iPhones in their pockets. These deaths should be reported as well since it can be implied that Apple caused them with all the negativity going on with iOS 6.0 and all.

14. Fynd macrumors 6502

That's... depressing :(

Guess I learned something.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can you point to certain US companies where the suicide rate is higher than at Foxconn? And also, at which US companies are people killing themselves because of their jobs?

Umm..yeah.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

This has been gone over so many times. There's a very large group of workers, and they live in dorms there. If they decide to commit suicide, that's where they're going to do it. That doesn't mean they're killing themselves specifically because of the working conditions at Foxconn. Maybe they're having family problems back home. We just don't know, and we shouldn't assume. Not only that, but last time I checked the suicide rate there was actually rather low, considering the vast number of people working and living there.

It's not that a suicide isn't sad. It is, no matter the circumstances around it. But overall I think this gets very blown out of proportion.

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

There are 1.2 million workers at foxconn, you are going to see more suicides at foxconn than you are going to see at your local Trader Joe's.

By comparison MS has about 92,000 workers.

If and when we pull out our manufacturing from foxconn and start producing the products here in the USA, and we force foxconn to lay off a huge bulk of those 1.2 million workers, how many suicides do you think we'll see then?

China's suicide rate in 2010 was 22.23 people for every 100,000 people. A 0.02223% rate. I am not sure how many of the 1.2 million employees have committed suicide, but I don't think it differs much from the average rate.

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I really hope this is supposed to be sarcastic...

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's the US as a whole.

My point is, if we say that Foxconn is causing their suicide rate of 1.5 /100,000 then surely the United States must be responsible for its own result of 10.95 /100,000?

Note that I would hold neither party responsible, but I don't see how someone could hold Foxconn responsible for their own number and not do the same to the U.S. So my question is, if 10.95 and 1.5 are both way too high for the OP, what number is he looking for?

20. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Not even close to being true. This article just mentioned Apple as a customer, and didn't even say that this individual worked on Apple products.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who knows? But that was not my question. You're comparing apples and oranges.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't need to answer it because your question was based on something you made up.

My emphasis:
    Provide me proof that the Foxconn workers killed themselves because of their working conditions. Once you do it'll be my job to counter that point, but until you have proof of that it's just something you created out of thin air.

You can't say "I made this up, now prove me wrong." You need to provide some kind of fact for your argument in order for me to counter that argument.

Right now the only facts I see make it look like working at Foxconn prevents suicides. So that's where I'm starting from. You need to give me something to make me think that I'm wrong about that. So far I've got nothing.

Look, I'm willing to be proven wrong. Go ahead and show me. But right now I am arguing using the data I have.

23. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Putting things into perspective...

EDIT* - Suprisingly I was actually able to find a new source reporting these facts! Go ZDNET!
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/foremski/...-foxconn-significantly-cuts-suicide-risk/1356

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given Foxconn's rate is 1/7th of the overall US rate, I would have though it would be true for most companies in the US.

Certainly Oxford and Cambridge Universities in the UK have suicides from time to time, their average rate is approximately the same as the country as a whole.

Do we know that?

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I thought that's what this was all about. If it's not, why did Foxconn go out of their way to make improvements?