Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Damn, all I can say is I am *so* glad I am a Mac user...this summer must suck for lots of Windows users...and it's all happening around the back to school time, too, which cannot be good for students who need reliable computers to do their work on...

iElvis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Wellington, New Zealand
Nothing Yet.

Hasn't effected me yet.

With all my years of using a PC, the only virus I got was before my dad invested in Anti-Virus Software. Since then, I've never had one infect my computer. I've recieved a few viruses, but they never got beyond Norton. :)

Having good anti-virus software that stays up to date, and a firewall, is all that everyone needs to install on their PC's to stay safe.

By the way, when I did get that one virus, I had to format my HD to fix my PC. :mad:EVERYTHING got so messed up.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Having a Mac is nice, but ever since my folks found out that I can go online to download their security updates, patches, and the like without them risking going online, I've become a bit of a family IT department.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Me too, but I am only at home during vacations from school, so I don't know what they'll do once I leave again if the Dell keeps having all these problems.

stoid

macrumors 601
hehehe

I fianlly got one of those E-mail virus things.

The E-mail is is titled "Re: Your Application" with the attachment "document_9446.pif"

I'm almost tempted to download the attachment just to prove I have a superior machine...but just in case...:rolleyes:

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Gents

Actually, we counted three active virii yesterday, the SoBig.F of the subject of this thread, the MSBlasterFixer "benevolence" worm, and the W32.Welchia.Worm - another MSBlaster-type DCOM worm.

I see this week as a turning point in computing security. It is the point at whice we no longer have one big virus at a time going around - we're going to start having to actively defend ourselves. Secondly, with the MSBlasterFixer worm going about "infecting" computers by removing MSBlaster and installing the patch - this gives rise to anti-worms.

I see a future where the internet will be a literall battlegound of worms antiworms, antiantiworms, all overlapping. And we Mac users just pluggin along watching from a distance. Unfortunately, our internet will slow to a crawl.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Originally posted by idea_hamster
Having a Mac is nice, but ever since my folks found out that I can go online to download their security updates, patches, and the like without them risking going online, I've become a bit of a family IT department.

You and me both. CompSci degree = free tech support for life! I just wish I saw them as often as patches and such are needed.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh

at work our entire network is infected, or it isn't and someone tried to fix and made things worse...i don't know. all i know is that we haven't had net access since monday and probably won't get it back til friday. and yet they will never switch from windoze, despite problem after problem. we spent much of the past 2 days applying patches and updating our virus software...it's so frustrating...all the issues people have with the comps would be solved if we went to Macs, but it'll just never happen...it just sucks. :mad:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't have any pcs at work or home, so I haven't had any issues. But I am surprised at the amount of emails I've been getting with that .pif file ;)

It really is a great selling point for Macs.

D

Magus42

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2003
.pif files are shortcuts to dos programs. At least they were originally. They have since been exploited by virus coders.

As for the misinformed opinion that using Windows makes you instantly vulnerable to viruses, I've used Windows since 3.1, and never had a virus. I've also never used anti-virus software. All it takes is a bit of common sense and you can avoid viruses.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Re: Yet another Windows virus

Originally posted by Gus
]When will Windows users see the light? ;)

Regards,
Gus

Well, Gus.... I can see the light. It is shiny and almost overpowering. However, I cannot afford the light. Atleast not a superdrive light with tons of RAM and a g4 processor at the moment. I will eventually get there. But as for today, I am still admiring the light.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Re: Re: Yet another Windows virus

Originally posted by Capt Underpants
Well, Gus.... I can see the light. It is shiny and almost overpowering. However, I cannot afford the light. Atleast not a superdrive light with tons of RAM and a g4 processor at the moment. I will eventually get there. But as for today, I am still admiring the light.

Just make sure you're not on the tracks admiring the light, it might be a train. :) ;)

Oh, and watch out for that third rail, I hear it will really light you up. ;)

Regards,
Gus

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by Magus42
All it takes is a bit of common sense and you can avoid viruses.

Keep in mind that at least 80% of the population are idiots, a lot of them are also jackasses at that. Thus out of every 10 people who recieve the worm, 8 of them are probably ignorant jackasses who are happy because someone sent them a nifty attachment.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
The biggest thing about viruses on a PC is common sense. When I was an IT director, we would send emails to people warning them that they could get an email with a certain subject, or attachment, and not to open it. Then, the next thing you knew, they would call saying "Hey, remember that attachment you said not to open, I opened it. Is that bad?"

Idiots.

I called that an id 10 T error. Or ID10T.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Backtothemac
The biggest thing about viruses on a PC is common sense. When I was an IT director, we would send emails to people warning them that they could get an email with a certain subject, or attachment, and not to open it. Then, the next thing you knew, they would call saying "Hey, remember that attachment you said not to open, I opened it. Is that bad?"

Idiots.

I called that an id 10 T error. Or ID10T.

-Backtothemac

Aah, yes, the CDW 'Fred' campaign. There were so dead on.

"The only thing I know about computers it that I want a better one than everybody else."

"Hey Fred? The server was full, so I emptied it."

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I was just thinking - with this last one being the fastest ever, causing all sorts of problems, what from making a new virus a time bomb?

For instance, it copies itself via the email, but there doesn't seem to be any other effect. But then a at a certain time, all prearranged, it crashes the computer. So instead of it just affecting one machine at a time it can knock out a bunch, 1000s at once.

That would be a serious problem. Has this ever happened before?

D

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I was just thinking - with this last one being the fastest ever, causing all sorts of problems, what from making a new virus a time bomb?

-Mr. Anderson

This is what scares me. These virii so far have been the product of those wishing to cause a little mischeif, and/or don't have the patience to wait for a timebomb to propagate.

But, I can see this as a for of terrorism and I hope we're goung to be ready - because I think it's coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.