Yikes - IOS 4.2 gets rid of ability to see/erase Safari databases (HTML5 cookies)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schtibbie, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

So, before the 4.2 update, I could go (iphone 4) to settings/Safari and see a link to Databases, which is where an advanced type of tracking cookie is kept. I had a gmail one, plus some RLDGUID one that's been controversial (see other threads) due to its persistence. But you could always swipe your finger on one of those and kill it.

But now with 4.2, we not longer have that option. Nice. NOT. I do wonder though if perhaps the functionality to erase these cookies is now subsumed under the regular "delete cookies" button. Can any web devs confirm whether this appears to function this way now?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You mean, this is missing on your iPhone? (and, yes, this is iOS 4.2)

Attached Files:

3. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Works for me - I just deleted a bunch of them. I didn't even know they were there!

4. SnowDX macrumors 6502

I don't have the Databases section like you do (4.2.1 updated last night on iPhone 4).

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't have it either.

I wonder if you actually need to have a database on your device for the option to actually show.

EDIT: I just tried an HTML5 database example on my iPhone and it hasn't made the option appear on my iPhone 4 with 4.2.1

Attached Files:

6. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd like to officially close this thread as the OP, but I don't know how. Resetting my phone TWICE solved the issue. Don't ask me why. The first time it didn't do anything. Now I have two databases showing: one for gmail (as I expect) and one from Apple help pages.

So, /thread.

7. SnowDX macrumors 6502

I restarted my phone and now I see it as well. One for www.google.com with my Google calendar listed (went to m.google.com/sync last night to select which calendars to sync so that must be it) and the other from m.google.com with Buzz listed which I have never used or clicked on that I can remember.