Yoga 900 instead of new iPad and laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lockerc18, Dec 13, 2015.

1. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

I had reached my limits with my iPad3 because of the problems I've had with IOS 8 and 9 on it which have rendered it pretty much unusable. I was waiting for the new iPad Air 3 this fall, but we know what happened with that. I do not want an iPad Pro, which is too big and way too expensive, IMO.

As it turns out, I have an old HP laptop running Vista, too. I use it sometimes, but it has gotten really slow and painful to use, especially next to my rMBP. But I still wanted to run Windows at times, and didn't want to get into the Parallels universe.

So, I started looking at 2 in 1 systems, since one of them would be less expensive than a new iPad and a new Windows system. And I came across the Yoga 900, which overall was a better system than the other 2 in 1s. Skylake core i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, QHD+ display. And I got it. And I have to say, it's pretty nice.

The biggest problem with it has been the bloatware that Lenovo packs onto it. I ended up reinstalling vanilla Windows 10 to get rid of that. That is not a bad OS. The thing I like about the Yoga most is the tablet features. Having the tablet integrated with the laptop is really great, to the point where I don't miss my iPad at all. Sorry to say, I think running a full OS like Win10 on a tablet beats running a restricted OS like IOS on an iPad.

I know Apple has said they'd never offer a 2 in 1 system like this. I don't see why not. I mean, sure, from an Apple business perspective, I can see why not. But from a user perspective, I think it would be a popular system. The iPad Pro with the detachable keyboard isn't the same thing. But the way Win10 handles both the desktop/laptop UI and the tablet touch UI is intriguing and well done. Apple needs to pay attention to these types of devices.

2. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

If they have it a BB you can always get it now and use it with an extended return time