Yonah, It's More Than Just A Silly Name

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Every time I look at the name I think the new Intel Yanni dual core CPU. The name is weird. I mean I know why they named it Yonah but still.

I disagree with the author though. I don't think there is much chance of Apple putting dual cores in an iBook. PowerBook yes. iBook no. Also since when did Altivec have a thing to do with eye candy? That is Quartz Extreme and that was more tied to the GPU then the CPU or am I mistaken? The author is jumping to some VERY large conclusions IMHO.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Why would apple do such a thing by putting a 'Yonah' chip in iBook first..:confused: :confused:

'Yonah' is capable of dual-core,they (Apple) would want it in PB line first,even its @2.0Ghz.. ibook could get something single core intel but not faster than PB line, if that happens then it leapfrog the PB line and might sink the PB sales a tad.. but i think if PBs get yonah first then i could see iBooks jump from 1.33/1.42 Ghz to 1.5/1.67 G4 <<IMHO.. but we'll see come in MWSF '06

otter-boy

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Gotta agree with other posters

I just don't see why people like Apple Matters keep thinking that Apple is going to put the top of the line Yonah in an iBook first. Of the three low-power small-form-factor computer lines that Apple makes, I think the Mac Mini is the most likely to get the new Intel processors first, the PowerBook second, and the iBook third. The least demand for high performance is with the consumer notebook line.

My assumption is that Apple is moving to dual-core with Intel. If Intel makes a single-core Yonah, we might see it in an iBook soon.

I think the Mac Mini is most likely to get the dual-core Yonah first because people demand speed in a desktop and it will have to deal with a lot of multimedia because people want to put Minis in their entertainment systems.

I think putting the dual-core Yonah in an iBook while the Powerbook is running a single-core G4 is unlikely because the Yonah would blow the G4 out of the water. The Powerbook must maintain a lead over the iBook since that is how the lines are designated.

After reading the Anandtech article, I'm not sure we'll be getting a Yonah clocked at 2.0 GHz anytime soon in a notebook anyway. They said that it consumed 90+ watts--way too much power and heat for Apple's portable computers. If we do get a Yonah in the portables, I expect it to be clocked much lower (maybe similar to or just below current clock speeds for G4s).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
otter-boy said:
After reading the Anandtech article, I'm not sure we'll be getting a Yonah clocked at 2.0 GHz anytime soon in a notebook anyway. They said that it consumed 90+ watts--way too much power and heat for Apple's portable computers. If we do get a Yonah in the portables, I expect it to be clocked much lower (maybe similar to or just below current clock speeds for G4s).
Keep in mind that 90+ watts figure is for the entire system, not just the processor. I know Apple can get that down with their engineering skill and the high-quality components they use.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
otter-boy said:
My assumption is that Apple is moving to dual-core with Intel. If Intel makes a single-core Yonah, we might see it in an iBook soon.

They are but there is some debate on when the single cores will be out. Someone said that it would release with the dual cores but I swear I heard a Summer '06 release sched for the single cores. So who knows.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
wrldwzrd89 said:
Keep in mind that 90+ watts figure is for the entire system, not just the processor. I know Apple can get that down with their engineering skill and the high-quality components they use.

Not only that the motherboard they used was a DESKTOP motherboard that in no way shape or form was designed to be power conscious. Two things are going to happen when Yonah is released. The CPU will be put "out there". And a new more efficient chipset will be released as well. They pretty much have to redesign the motherboards since Intel is changing the pinouts for Yonah.

http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/YSMndSBo-WckGQ.html

With the launch of Intel’s ‘Sonoma’ second-generation Centrino chipset still a fresh memory, the processor giant is already looking to the future of laptop CPU’s. Scheduled to appear in late 2005 or early 2006, the currently-codenamed ‘Yonah’ chipset will represent the first dual-core laptop processor from Intel, and looks set to extend battery life further than previously possible.

Utilising a technology known as Dynamic Power Coordination (DPC), the Yonah chip allows greater control over energy consumption by allowing one processer core to rest while another is at work. According to Intel, the Yonah chip will initially consist of a single piece of silicon with two cores built-in. By keeping the power consumption of each of the cores separate from the other, when laptop workloads are light on resource needs, the chip is able to slow down one core and therefore extend mobile usage.

With battery life a prime concern for the modern laptop user, the ability to extend time away from mains power is an area that many home and business users will be able to immediately benefit from. Although it’s still a few months until the laptop market will be able to fully realise the potential benefits of the Yonah chipset, this is still an area that the industry will be keeping a firm eye on. Only time will tell if Intel will succeed in taking mobile technology yet another step closer to the ideal of an eight-hour laptop battery life.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
iphil said:
Why would apple do such a thing by putting a 'Yonah' chip in iBook first..:confused: :confused:
Because it just make make sense to do it that way! A "faster" chip isn't going to mean all that much on the high end when the high end software isn't available in native form yet. Add to that the reports that Merom may be out as soon as mid-2006 (when some of the important high end software still isn't expected to be ready) and it doesn't appear to matter very much if low end machines get this chip.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
From Article said:
What’s more, Leopard will feature even more graphic intensive tricks to dazzle us and that will require a good deal of processing power as well.
What is Leopard? Is that an Apple codename for something? 10.5?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iMeowbot said:
Because it just make make sense to do it that way! A "faster" chip isn't going to mean all that much on the high end when the high end software isn't available in native form yet. Add to that the reports that Merom may be out as soon as mid-2006 (when some of the important high end software still isn't expected to be ready) and it doesn't appear to matter very much if low end machines get this chip.

Merom won't be out until 3rd quarter 2006 at the earliest which means Yonah PowerBooks because there is no way in hell Apple will wait until 3Q to release a PowerBook. If you put the same CPU's in both the iBooks and PowerBooks you are in the same shape you are in now when it comes to distinction. Also keep in mind the prices. While I’m sure that Apple is getting price breaks close to what Dell gets the simple fact is dual cores are more expensive then single cores. The iBook isn’t geared towards high end performance and it suppose to be Apple’s budget system. Putting a high end chips like a dual core Yonah in there doesn’t make any sense unless Apple is willing to increase the price of the iBook.
Realistically Apple will put Yonah in the PowerBook and single core Dothan's in the iBooks until single core Yonah's are out which could be anywhere from January to Summer of ’06.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
Merom won't be out until 3rd quarter 2006 at the earliest
More recent reports suggest that it may be quite a bit sooner than that.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
This information is directly from Intel site:

Mobile Platform
Intel is developing a mobility-optimized, dual-core processor based on next generation microarchitecture, codenamed Merom, targeted for introduction in the second half of 2006. The Merom processor will work within the Napa Platform that is planned to launch in early 2006.

heres that link to that:

http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/ngma/

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iphil said:
This information is directly from Intel site:

Mobile Platform
Intel is developing a mobility-optimized, dual-core processor based on next generation microarchitecture, codenamed Merom, targeted for introduction in the second half of 2006. The Merom processor will work within the Napa Platform that is planned to launch in early 2006.

heres that link to that:

http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/ngma/

Napa is not a CPU its a chipset. Which means the chipset that will be launched in early 2006 will work with Merom that will be launched in 2H 2006.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
SiliconAddict said:
Napa is not a CPU its a chipset. Which means the chipset that will be launched in early 2006 will work with Merom that will be launched in 2H 2006.
Thats what i mean but i decided to post that paragraph in my prev. post.. :eek:

The timeframe im expecting to appear of Merom chip between July '06 or sept. '06.. that relates to what your saying of "2H of 2006"

With initial Intel Macs rumoured to be Minis and/or iBooks, i would very much expect these to be Pentium-M based systems.

It is a well tried and tested architecture, falling into line with the current iBook and Mini price points. Apple will have had plenty of time (and very likely well before the actual Intel announcement) to get the engineering right on these systems, the only significant delay is making sure they don't have too big a gap between the initial consumer releases and the power models later on (new PowerBook in February? March?).

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
iMeowbot said:
Because it just make make sense to do it that way! A "faster" chip isn't going to mean all that much on the high end when the high end software isn't available in native form yet.
It's not that simple. This is a HUGE transition, and nothing will make it 100% ideal for all people all the time. There WILL be compromises needed--for a time.

"The" high end software will be arriving. Some sooner, some later. There are three months to go before late February, for instance--if that's when the MWSF announcements ship.

Having pro laptops that are super fast for some things, and merely "functional" (Rosetta) for other key apps, is NOT ideal. You are right. But that state would be temporary. And some things WILL benefit immediately from Intel chips. Some things were ready 6 months ago. PowerBooks are used for more than Photoshop and expensive pro packages.

And keeping PowerBooks on G4s until next fall, while lower-end Macs get fast new chips, is not ideal either!

So if Apple can't have "ideal," what compromise should they make?

I say, sell BOTH G4 and Intel laptops, so at least buyers can CHOOSE their compromise. Apple has done that many times before, selling the old alongside the new, for those that still need the old.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
AlmostThere said:
With initial Intel Macs rumoured to be Minis and/or iBooks, i would very much expect these to be Pentium-M based systems.

It is a well tried and tested architecture, falling into line with the current iBook and Mini price points. Apple will have had plenty of time (and very likely well before the actual Intel announcement) to get the engineering right on these systems, the only significant delay is making sure they don't have too big a gap between the initial consumer releases and the power models later on (new PowerBook in February? March?).
I agree with this - the single core Yonahs aren't coming out for a couple of months after the dual core, and they definitely won't put dual core into iBooks yet.

I would expect the first iterations of the Intel-powered Macs to be Celeron-M in the mini, Pentium-M in the iBook, dual core Yonah in the PB.

hmmfe

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
Not to split hairs to fine, but Napa is a "platform" not a chipset. The Napa platform includes the Yonah processor, the Calistoga chipset, and Golan wireless.

Later, the Merom chip might become part of the platform as well to replace or augment Yonah.

You are very correct that Napa will appear before Merom.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
Love to know where.
Talk to whomever handles your accounts, and go through the usual 20 questions routine to find out what you need to know.

nagromme said:
It's not that simple. This is a HUGE transition, and nothing will make it 100% ideal for all people all the time. There WILL be compromises needed--for a time.

"The" high end software will be arriving. Some sooner, some later. There are three months to go before late February, for instance--if that's when the MWSF announcements ship.

Having pro laptops that are super fast for some things, and merely "functional" (Rosetta) for other key apps, is NOT ideal. You are right. But that state would be temporary. And some things WILL benefit immediately from Intel chips. Some things were ready 6 months ago. PowerBooks are used for more than Photoshop and expensive pro packages.

And keeping PowerBooks on G4s until next fall, while lower-end Macs get fast new chips, is not ideal either!

So if Apple can't have "ideal," what compromise should they make?

I say, sell BOTH G4 and Intel laptops, so at least buyers can CHOOSE their compromise. Apple has done that many times before, selling the old alongside the new, for those that still need the old.
Very true.

Has apple sold two versions of the same thing (not refurbs) siumlatneously since OS X or Job's return, though?

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
dontmatter said:
Very true.

Has apple sold two versions of the same thing (not refurbs) siumlatneously since OS X or Job's return, though?
Does selling two possible Mac Minis in a single shipping box, with the customer not knowing which would arrive, count for anything?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
dontmatter said:
Yes. Post-Jobs examples:

* iMac G3 kept selling long after the iMac G4 was out. There was a market for a durable CRT machine, and Apple didn't ignore that. (This was before the eMac.)

* PowerMac G4 kept selling after the PowerMac G5 came out.

* Older PowerMac G4s capable of booting OS 9 kept selling, after newer G4s were out that could only boot OS X.

And someone else gave an example about PCI slots I think.

andrewm said:
Does selling two possible Mac Minis in a single shipping box, with the customer not knowing which would arrive, count for anything?
Yes. It means the customer always got exactly what they ordered. OR better! :) I once benefitted from this myself, getting a 6 GB HD in my very first Mac, when the specs still said 4 :)