Yosemite 10.5 on Mac Pro 1.1, Is it safe to enable TRIM on my SSD ?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by JOSECBA, Sep 1, 2015.

1. JOSECBA macrumors member

JOSECBA

Hello, I have full and working very well YOSEMITE 10.5 on my old Mac Pro 1.1, installed on a SSD, question
    Is it Safe to Enable TRIM on my SSD ? I am worried about not being able to boot over after....

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have a 3rd party SSD on my 2011 MBP 15" with 10.10.5 and TRIM enabled via the trimforce command (terminal command: sudo trimforce enable). No problems so far.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

With trimforce? Should be fine, mine is. With the 3rd party Trim Enabler...who knows, lots of reports of non-booting depending on the sequence of enable/disable/upgrade whatever. I used to use Trim Enabler, stopped when Yosemite came out and just starting using trimforce.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just an update, I just swapped out my Crucial 512GB SSD for a Crucial 1TB - Trimforce was enabled on the new SSD as soon as I connected it and looked, I had assumed trimforce was enabled per SSD but it seems a system-wide setting. You may already know this but it hadn't occurred to me...

5. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Yes, it's system wide. I have 5 SSDs installed on my Mac Pro. I just installed a new Blade last week, and because TRIM was previously enabled the Blade picked it up. I wouldn't have expected anything else.

Lou