Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
It's been a workhorse for 4 years, but I think the end is near for this little guy. Running Yosemite on this thing and the age is showing. Particularly when scrolling through web sites, it's not nearly as smooth as Mavericks. I'm not going to rush out and buy a new MBA/MBP quite yet, I'll wait until the official release and see if there are any improvements, but I won't be too terribly disappointed if I need to upgrade, I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of this machine.

Anyone else running Yosemite on a 2010 or even 2011? How's it running?

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
It's probably just because it's not a stable version yet, I doubt it would run like that on the official release.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Visit Yosemite forums for more info.

In short, for me it runs worse than Mavericks, but this is perfectly normal for DP1 release. It's not lagging, it's just a tad less smooth.

There is a 2013 rMBP 13" as well which has only HD4000 to deal with such a enormous resolution. And 2010 MBA's GPU alone is not much worse than intel's, so unless Apple totally screws nvidia drivers, the scrolling and such is really the last thing you should worry about. RAM (if 2GB) and CPU are the only things that can potentially hold you back, certainly not the graphics performance. And again, for OS alone these specs are more than enough, it only matters when juice hungry apps come into play or when you do some serious multitasking.

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
It's been a workhorse for 4 years, but I think the end is near for this little guy. Running Yosemite on this thing and the age is showing. Particularly when scrolling through web sites, it's not nearly as smooth as Mavericks. I'm not going to rush out and buy a new MBA/MBP quite yet, I'll wait until the official release and see if there are any improvements, but I won't be too terribly disappointed if I need to upgrade, I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of this machine.

Anyone else running Yosemite on a 2010 or even 2011? How's it running?

I recently sold my sister's 2010 for half what it cost me, and I could not be happier with the decision. She can't really tell the difference, I think but I'm sure she'll be very happy with its Samsung 256 GB...

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Visit Yosemite forums for more info.

In short, for me it runs worse than Mavericks, but this is perfectly normal for DP1 release. It's not lagging, it's just a tad less smooth.

There is a 2013 rMBP 13" as well which has only HD4000 to deal with such a enormous resolution. And 2010 MBA's GPU alone is not much worse than intel's, so unless Apple totally screws nvidia drivers, the scrolling and such is really the last thing you should worry about. RAM (if 2GB) and CPU are the only things that can potentially hold you back, certainly not the graphics performance. And again, for OS alone these specs are more than enough, it only matters when juice hungry apps come into play or when you do some serious multitasking.

I've got 4GB thankfully, else i'd have needed to upgrade a long time ago. But yeah, I hear what you're saying that's why I said I'm not going to rush out and buy a new machine just yet. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.