You are being fooled

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 23, 2017.

?

You are being fooled

1. The other party is worse

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. Go to hell midget

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. This is Murika ,hope trump deports you

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. We only have two choices here

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Third party? Pffffffft. Go to hell

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Giant meteor 2020.

24 vote(s)
    53.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

democrats & republicans have one master and it's not YOU the people.
    Democrats were just as worthless when they controlled house & senate as republicans are today , the words "gridlock " were thrown around in another thread and I'll say it's exactly what BOTH parties want it to look like. They are more than happy to agree in screwing you over (Patriot act/NSA/NdAA) etc etc etc but "fail" on anything else because omg the "other" side is the party of no blah blah blah

BOTH sides need to be flushed but it's not going to happen because most of you are happy to only lock up the "other" guys even when the crimes extend to both .

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I once gave a great deal of deference to elected congressmen. I noticed from Reagan on they're not much more than despicable grandstanding opportunists who twist truth, prevaricate, and lie. Pretty much a reflection of society at large.

3. eatrains macrumors regular

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Okay then, now who's ready to turn on, tune in, and drop out...

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well... that might be a little harsh, although I've had moments I could concur.

When put on the spot by media outlets, some Congress critters do seem to run scripts that suggest they can't think past first base without one, and that the one they have in hand was written on K street by a lobby that supported their re-election.

However, Congressmen do still pick their battles during budget appropriations and they do find stuff they can get behind that will benefit their constituents. A lot of projects that were authorized long ago and finally get funded do in fact benefit everyone in a given district, even if the congresscritter's in one party and you're in another.

Example, recently the FAA got the green light to put $230M into airport infrastructure improvements across the country at over a hundred airports. Now obviously on average of a couple million bucks a pop, these might be projects as small as adding a taxiway or replacing signage and some sets of embedded lights etc, but they're still something actually needed that ends up in the done column, and in the doing will also benefit local economies. imo not everything has to be a $42B defense project (or an $42B cut to one) to represent service provided by a Congressman. Every tax dollar counts. Every one not spent on something we don't need counts too.

It pays to get your congress critter's weekly newsletter for an eye on what they're up to. There's ample BS in them but some worth-knowing items as well. And of course if you don't like legislation they helped pass then when they pass it and brag on it, that's an invitation to write back and correct their impression of what their constituents wanted.

If enough people school these dudes long enough, then they do make course corrrections or get primaried... enough people do that in every district we might tone K street down some. Maybe it's happening even now. Join in. Speak up to the self-described movers and shakers and make the USA ours again.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

The environment in Washington DC is toxic to the point that even the most honorable of the elected are eventually subborned into the culture. Irrespective of the people, the culture needs to change. That is the single biggest piece that I don't happening in my lifetime. :(

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

8. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Constitutional amendment to make Citizens United decision into an obsolete artifact of an era we need to be done with?

Heh maybe that might be a spinoff from this dismal adminstration. If not now, and if not fairly soon farther down the road, looks like we'll eventually burn the place to the ground thinking it's just a reality TV show we have to watch because the One Big Cable Company in DC said so.

EDIT:

PS. We need another option in the poll:

"Gimme the collision with the football-sized asteroid"​

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Target: Swamp Central. Will that change anything? Doubtful :(

10. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

It is possible to have more than two sides. ;)

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Priceless-TheOMG-WTF-kittycat.png

EDIT:
    Thanks jk. Finally a choice I realize now I shoulda gone for in 2016.​

13. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I don't disagree, but say they pick their words more than their battles. The art of doublespeak and prevarication has lost its effect on most of us. Clinton(s) were the masters of prevarication, vagueness, and ambiguity. One needed to parse each sentence to read and hear what they really said, not what they wanted you to think they said.

14. Macky-Mac, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

was "go to hell midget" on the ballot in 2016 where you live? :D

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

LOL surely I wouldn't have picked that option... I was agitating for jk to bring a fleet of taco trucks north before Trump deported all the Mexicans he could round up. As long as the trucks arrived here even a few minutes after the polls closed, he'd have been safe in my neighborhood for sure :)

My vote in 2016 would have been considered irrelevant by some, I guess, since I live in deep blue NYS which was clearly headed to giving its electoral votes to Clinton. What surprised me was that I voted for her rather than writing in Evan McMullin. He had had been my planned "protest vote" since he had qualified to be counted separately as a write-in on NY ballots and because I respected him as a candidate with integrity. Mind you if I lived in a swing state, he would not have been my choice even as protest vote. Platform does matter to me.

On the way to the polls I suddenly just felt I wanted the pop vote for the Democratic platform to be as high as possible, so I voted for Clinton.

Like many Democrats, including other Bernie supporters like myself who ultimately did vote for HRC, I was stunned that Clinton didn't win, and later was happy that I had voted for her, considering that the country's total popular vote, while not a determinant of who wins the election, is sometimes an important indicator unto itself of where the needle lies on the scale in the country as a whole, as far as legislative mandate goes.

The popular vote total does provide a kind of overview of where the country sits versus the platforms of the two major candidates, assuming that platform issues were what drove the voters' decisions. However, it's hard to say for 2016 whether that was the case. I remain a proponent of the idea that we're never going to know for sure what factors put Donald Trump into the White House.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think I'm pretty good at avoiding being fooled.

The last time I really got burned, I think, was Lance Armstrong, the disgraced cyclist later stripped of several Tour de France titles due to extensive doping.

I'd been an early fan of Armstrong, following him from his early days on the Motorola Team, and then through his cancer treatment and recovery. The fact that he rode a bike made by a Wisconsin company (Trek) made him the closest thing a non-sports fan like me was going to have to an athletic hero.

I dismissed a lot of the gripes as French sour grapes. Misunderstandings. And I took the fact that he never failed a drug test as "proof" that he was clean. And I told myself that, as a cancer survivor, he wasn't going to put dangerous substances into his body. His triumph over cancer was a story I wanted to be true.

I was wrong. I was fooled by Armstrong. I was mad, and disappointed in myself. I had misread his character, and I had relied on a drug-testing protocol that - in hindsight - I should have known was ripe for manipulation.

That probably isn't the only time I've been fooled in the last decade or so. But it's the only one that sticks in my mind.

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Pretty sure the top seven were pride, covetousness, anger, lust, gluttony, envy and sloth.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Hmm. Updated poll option gaining, versus sending @jkcerda somewhere else.

(That will be two tacos, amigo)

Yeah, gluttony does it for me.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

IMG_1201.JPG
    Meteor hits and we all go to hell. , I STILL WIN :D

20. samcraig macrumors P6

On the other hand - we didn't have a President whining about it on twitter. So - that's new ;)

21. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

They are tho. :confused:

Good thing I'm one of the enlightened ones who can see that. As for what I'm going to do about it, why nothing, of course. :rolleyes:

22. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It would be interesting if all the incumbents (Republican / Democrat / Other) were voted out the next election.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Not if they had all (both parties) been primaried from their right, in my partisan opinion ;)

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

NEVER going to happen:(

25. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

We didn't have a president trying to weaken institutions of government and the cohestion of American society as a matter of principle.