Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wow very cool. GVoice is so incredibly useful, its one of the main reasons I don't go back to ios. Will be nice to get rid of the clunky gvoice app.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
That is probably by choice because all the facebook apps are a bunch of bloated spyware that would wreak havoc on your contact list.

I remember the first phone that had facebook contact sync, the Palm Pre. Made a huge mess of things.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Well I didn't ask for it. I use gv for all my ads on craigslist and other places. I like having it separate from my other messaging

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That is probably by choice because all the facebook apps are a bunch of bloated spyware that would wreak havoc on your contact list.

I remember the first phone that had facebook contact sync, the Palm Pre. Made a huge mess of things.

Windows Phone does a contact sync with Facebook contacts and does it very well. It's not impossible to pull off, they're just choosing not to. And if I had to guess why, it has to do with Google+ :confused:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Windows Phone does a contact sync with Facebook contacts and does it very well. It's not impossible to pull off, they're just choosing not to. And if I had to guess why, it has to do with Google+ :confused:

Exactly

Just came from a 1520 and it was beautifully done including other perks as well. Was impressed how the WP OS handled it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have no idea what this means for someone like me. I use Google voice solely for visual voicemail on the nexus 5. Does this impact that in any way?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
does this mean we can make voip calls with hangouts like on iOS?

the hangouts app on my ipad essentially acts as a voip phone - great for some kind of emergency
doesnt require talkatone or anything (like it used to)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
awesome - thanks
yay - wifi calling - with better international rates than ATT for nonhangouts calls

I like it.

This seems like the real deal

Google also said it was reducing most of its international rates!!! So it gets even better for you.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Maybe not specifically related but about Hangouts.

Is there a way within Hangouts to wake your screen everytime you get a text?
Not a fan of the LED light approach and just want my screen woken up.

Using a OnePlusOne.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
looks like free wifi calling back to the USA when traveling abroad as well
gotta test out the quality - I've found on ipad it is quite good, better than the old talkatone / gvoice combo
reviews so far seem to be good

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I see the google voice app was also updated, what is the reason to use that app now?
it seems you can call and text via gv with hangouts and hangouts dialer.

is google voice app for using your regular nonvoip line with google voice? probably just answered my own question :)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I see the google voice app was also updated, what is the reason to use that app now?
it seems you can call and text via gv with hangouts and hangouts dialer.

is google voice app for using your regular nonvoip line with google voice? probably just answered my own question :)

Oh that's weird, I have no idea. The change log only notes minor bug fixes and a warning to confirm call settings. It's possible it's just to tie your phone to your GV account, I'm not sure.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I installed the 2.3 version from the .apk, and it sort of works, but won't let me sign in. I can SMS text from it fine, but then when I try to sign in with my main gmail phone account, the little wheel just keeps spinning away saying 'Signing in..." :confused:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I read there is some back end change that must be processed for your specific account in order for the integration prompt to show up in hangouts. Haven't tried it yet.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone know how voicemail messages work in Hangouts? I switched over via the pop up in hangouts, but my voicemails are still going to my google voice app/website and not hangouts.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Anyone know how voicemail messages work in Hangouts? I switched over via the pop up in hangouts, but my voicemails are still going to my google voice app/website and not hangouts.

dont think integration has rolled out for me yet

I can call from hangouts, but no sms to my voice number or voicemail in hangouts, no integration prompt, no google voice number in hangouts settings

seems to be in some partially complete state

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Okay, so I installed google voice now as well and am able to receive incoming VoIP calls via hangouts, outgoing was already working prior to installing gv. SMS to my gv number and voicemail are still going to gv app. I believe that means I'm still waiting for integration rollout?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.