You Big Wuss! - Community ? of the Week #7

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Jul 26, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

This week's question is what makes you cry? I believe everyone has a soft spot somewhere. Maybe it's that lone tear that streaks down your face or maybe you collapse into a blubbering mess, either way, what is it that's guaranteed to bring out the emotion?

Well, I'm a parent, so obviously my children can tug on my heart strings with ease. But, there's another area that tends to put a lump in my throat. When I see someone, especially men, let down their guard and get real with their emotions, I can get emotional myself. The power of those moments can just be overwhelming. Yeah, yeah, go ahead and call me a wuss! :eek:

2. miiles macrumors regular

3. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Anyone really close to me (sister, grandparents, parents) dying or going away for a long time makes me really sad, like especially the death, it makes me tear

4. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Amazing Grace played on Bagpipes. Gets me every time. :)

5. 2056 macrumors 6502

i recently watched The Cure on Starz and i cried.
    sad movies and funerals make me cry.

6. AngryApple macrumors 6502

When I get a flashback of being raped or the way I felt when I attempted suicide really makes me emotional. Another thing is when I look in my closet and see a pair of shorts. I cannot wear shorts because my leg is full of scars. :(

7. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow! The fact that you were even willing to post that says a lot about how far you have come in your recovery. Thanks for trusting us enough to share such personal feelings. Your strength is something to be admired.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Well said

I think for me, if a family member passed or any of our pets.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Hearing roll call, followed by a firing battery and Taps.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When my dog died last year. I haven't been exposed to much death so it really hit me. I held her as she was put down and it really broke my heart. Even my rock solid dad was really upset.
    But it didn't hit me till I got home. I mean the car ride home didn't help with Queen's You're my Best Friend and some other song about someone "being a friend till the end". But I got in, hugged my girlfriend and couldn't stop crying :eek:.

That or spiders. Bloody things! Which our old dog used to take care off, no less!

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Currently, I don't seem to cry at anything. No films, no songs, no nothing. I've not had anybody close to me die, and I think the last time I cried was about 2006 or 2007, and that was only from pain! I must have a stone heart:rolleyes:

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Misery, especially when it involves children.

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

True love denied. Suffering children. Tortured animals.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Something I never thought would bother me.
    I bought an eclectus parrot, she became egg bound. The fact the poor thing was suffering wasn't bad enough but when I walked out of the treatment room I looked back and she looked so sad. I did cry on the way home.
    The next day I picked her up and she didn't leave my shoulder and slept between my shoulder and chest.

15. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

i get emotional when people do really spectacular things.. and you see in their face how accomplished the feel after doing so..

i.e. sporting things, olympics, underdogs.. etc

i think this is mainly because i know personally what dedication it takes and the sacrifices you make to work towards that goal.. the world is ful of letdown after letdown.. its nice to see when this changes for some people

16. todd2000 macrumors 68000

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The last 20 minutes or so of "The Return of the King."

"The Spirit Carries On" by Dream Theater.

Watching Doctoral graduates get hooded by their professors.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I cried at the end of Dead Poet's Society...lots of the boarding school themes really resonated with me.

Other than that I haven't cried much in years, though I have found myself to channel emotions that might lead to crying into anger and release them physically through sports, driving fast or otherwise. Maybe it comes from societal expectations of masculinity?

19. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Emotionally I'm usually on a level near a vulcan but seeing pilots do extremely well, like the Hudson river thing or the famous Kaitak (sp?) landing to think that one or two people have the ability to make a multi-ton vehicle that's floating in the air, land under extreme conditions and get everyone out alive is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

20. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

absolutely nothing makes me cry, except for onions but the onions can't be helped. anyone would cry if there was sulfuric acid in their eyes. But i stopped crying after 10. I just saw zero point in it. Even death doesn't phase me. My grandfather died of a heart attack a few years ago. my mom was just bawling on the way back to my homeland9 we lived in a dif country at the time) but i didn't shed a tear or feel sadness. I guess i just accepted the fact that my Grandfather was dead and got over it.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Field of Dreams. When Kevin Costner plays catch with his Dad.

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial. If you don't cry when E.T. dies you're dead inside. :(

23. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The movie 'Pay it Forward' gets me every time.