You can buy a phone at full price without activating!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kramerica2, Sep 21, 2012.

1. kramerica2 macrumors regular

Waiting at line since 5 AM, and when the apple reps start showing up, they all claimed that you can't buy without activating today. I nodded, and stayed in line.
    Got into the store, again the rep claims that its impossible, but I suggested that we should try.
    When he scanned the device, there was an option in his iPhone to select "device only" and viola - no activation, no SSN, no existing line. Just paying for the device.

It was with an ATT device. Have no idea if this is possible with Verizon or Sprint.

I'm still looking for replies here to find out if it's unlocked though. Don't want to open the box before that....

2. macboots macrumors newbie

you wont know for sure until plugged to itunes

3. cbw87 macrumors member

I'd go for it - I've seen one reply here so far that confirms it's unlocked.

And even if it's not, you can get an IMEI unlock for AT&T devices on eBay very cheaply.

I'm waiting to find out if this can be done with Verizon, and if those devices are carrier unlocked, including whether they can be used on AT&T GSM (not LTE).

4. b24pgg macrumors 65816

You've always been able to get a "device only" iPhone at full retail price at the Apple Store without activating.

Store reps are usually wrong and know less than you do. They're sales reps, not customer service reps.

5. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Apple made a new policy this year, where they were supposed to only sell unlocked phones online.

6. sectime macrumors 6502a

Your just wrong. I have bought several unlocked iPhones this year at Apple stores.

7. cbw87 macrumors member

Please could you confirm whether the Verizon iPhone 5 also comes unlocked when you pay "no commitment" pricing?

8. stuffradio macrumors 65816

9. CatsTide macrumors 6502

Verizon wouldn't let you do it in my location.

10. fsolano macrumors member

Verizon Store or Verizon iP5 at Apple Retail Store?

11. SqB macrumors 6502

You cannot get a Verizon phone unlocked under any circumstances. This has been repeated in many threads but I want to make sure folks are aware so they don't get stuck.

You can buy a "no commitment" phone from Verizon that does not include a contract, but Verizon will not unlock a Verizon iPhone now or later for use on US GSM carriers.

Please be aware of this if you're planning to get an "unlocked" Verizon phone.

12. sectime macrumors 6502a

13. CatsTide macrumors 6502

Verizon corporate store.

14. otlyer macrumors newbie

Not true

15. dave006 macrumors 68020

+1 for both the AT&T and Verizon models but only when purchased from Apple retail. We don't know yet about the Sprint iPhone 5!

It still is all related to how the AT&T / Verizon iPhone 5 units are processed at the POS from the Apple retail store.

It the Apple rep enters your phone number on the checkout screen, it will be locked to the carrier even if you pay the no-commitment price.

Make sure that they do a "Device Only" sale on their POS device.

Also note there are still differences between the AT&T and the Verizon/Sprint units support of LTE.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/...m-3g-networks/
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/33...5-gsm-unlocked

Dave

16. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I bought a device only Verizon iPhone 5 this morning from the Apple store and took it to the Verizon rep in the Apple store to put my existing number on it. I could have just walked out with it after buying it but don't know it it was unlocked. My understanding is Verizon will unlock your phone after 60 days. This time the Verizon phone is the best for International travel as it has the best selection of radio frequencies.
    Also since I paid full price for the phone I now have unlimited LTE:)