You can finally lock the screen!

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by xWhiplash, Sep 27, 2017.

1. xWhiplash macrumors 68000

I am sure this is known, but this has been a major issue of mine for a VERY long time. When I am running a Windows system, I always issue a Windows Key + L to lock when I step away. Having to deal with hot corners and hacking it to work on macOS was an issue.

Now you can lock without needing to do all of that. It is in the Apple menu at the top. Just issue a Control + Command + Q.

2. neliason macrumors 6502

As much as Mac is touted for its security I found the lack of this odd. In an office environment this is a pretty necessary feature.

3. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Huh? You've always been able to lock the screen. Ctrl-Shift-Eject or Ctrl-Shift-Power, depending upon the version of the keyboard you're using.

4. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

5. neliason macrumors 6502

It’s not the same. Locking just means you have to provide credentials to use the machine. Sleeping the display isn’t the same. It can be close, but only if you set it to require a password when waking. Personally I like to see the screen indicate a password is needed so I know it is. From a security standpoint I think that is much better.

6. jimthing, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

But with Sierra on Touchbar models: can you lock the screen like this?

7. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 68000

No, that just puts the screen to sleep. To actually take you to a password prompt, this is a new feature. I want to lock the screen without putting my entire display to sleep.

I have googled it and even asked here. I was told the only way to accomplish this in the past was to set up a hot corner, tell it to use the screen saver, and have the password prompt immediately after a screen saver appears.

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You could always turn on a menu extra (in Keychain Preferences) that gave you a true screen lock. Moving that to the Apple menu is a nice little improvement.

A.

9. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep. What I meant was that this is now default without needing to change any settings. Is that keychain preferences menu extra new? I asked a few years ago about how to lock the screen and just got answers that a hot corner was needed.

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

It is not *very* new, as it goes back as least as far as Lion.

11. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Indeed a nice addition to the Apple menu...