You can keep your unlimited data on AT&T when upgrading to iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TSX, Sep 12, 2012.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Poor Verizon schills, they must be crying knowing they have to give up unlimited for discounted pricing.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Was there actually ever a doubt?
    And some of us can keep their unlimited on VZW without paying full price for the phone. ;)

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

How?

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Well, I was hoping for this. Good news indeed. Unfortunately, I also lose my jailbreak, so there goes tethering for the time being. If they included tethring the in the $30/3GB package I'd probably switch, as I never go over that in a month anyways, but I'm not paying an extra $20/month for a feature I maybe use once or twice a month for a short period of time. You win some, you lose some.

6. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

This is good news, if true. The memo simply says

"We offer customers the flexibility to keep the iPhone data plans they already have or choose any of our individual or new Mobile Share plans."

It does't specifically say we can keep the unlimited plan at the same price.
    It would be nice to reward us loyal AT&T customers, though.

7. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Excellent. I was waiting to hear this. My general plan was only to purchase the iphone 5 if att allowed me to keep my current plan structure. Good to know some corporate people have a clue.

8. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

According to another MacRumors post we'll really get 5 gigs until they start throttling.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

She can't, she is just BSing.

10. n8236 macrumors 65816

Does this apply to using AT&T's LTE?

If it doesn't, it would be a joke having to use 3G on my new iPhone 5.

Edit: AT&T made it clear that it will provide unlimited data users with 5GB of LTE data before being throttled – unlike the 3G’s unthrottled cap of 3GB.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AT&T keeps their unlimited even if using subsidized pricing.

12. tehroonieh MD macrumors newbie

While this is good news, I still have a question. Will we be able to indicate that we want to keep our existing talk, text, and data plans on the Apple website during the pre-order, or will they still require us to select a new plan? I remember looking during the 4S launch just to see what it would do, but I never saw anything that indicated that we could keep our existing plan. Any help is appreciated.

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have unlimited grandfathered but will probably switch to shared with the update. I'd like to tether/hotspot my Air or WiFi only iPad when I need to for short amounts of time. And I do like the idea of FaceTime over cellular.

However, the big thing for me is when will AT&T roll out LTE to my market. They just announced (last Thursday) that it will happen before year end. I'm not sure I entirely believe them, and that up to 3 months will be a long wait.

I am half considering jumping to Verizon, but would have to pay an ETF on my wife's line and get her a new iPhone too. That drives up the cost. Not to mention from what I have seen, AT&Ts LTE network is typically faster than Verizon's LTE in the markets that have been deployed.

14. thebadgator87 macrumors member

if i add a line will i lose my unlimited data with att?

15. tehroonieh MD macrumors newbie

i think in your case, you won't lose unlimited data on your existing lines, but you will have to get a tiered data plan for the new line

16. thebadgator87 macrumors member

in theory can i add the new line creating line #2 and purchase the iphone5 then switch the iphone5 to the existing line #1 that i currently use?

17. tehroonieh MD macrumors newbie

yes, you should have no problem doing that. actually, a lot of people do exactly that from what i hear

18. thebadgator87 macrumors member

sweet

19. GoCubsGo, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:rolleyes:
    No, I am not. BSing is your job, not mine.

I sent you a PM about it. I see no reason to waste my time explaining something to my buddy. ;)

20. CoolBradG macrumors regular

I'm on Verizon and quite curious about how to as well. Care to send me a PM? :p

21. micawoli macrumors member

I have this exact concern/question. Would it be better for grandfathered-in unlimited data plans to order through ATT or Apple?

22. Ben C. macrumors member

Ben C.

Interested in this too...